Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A play day with my friend

I know some of you would like to see what my art friend Kathy and I did (and didn't do) on Tuesday, when I went to her home for a visit. I got there before she even had a chance to get to the craft room. But she had prepared a lot of things before I got there. For example, these are the rubber stamps she removed from their wood and placed them in folders.

Kathy's husband, Don, let me in while Kathy got dressed.

He was actually contemplating where he would set up this card table, so it could hold the punches she brought out for us to use, while I

left my bags near the chair I would be sitting in for the day.

She had some ink pads ready to go,

along with some dabbers and adhesive.

By this time, Kathy had made an appearance. She showed me some of the stamps she had not yet removed from their wood.

I took a photo of her die cutter, while Snowball, their cat, slept in the corner behind Kathy's cane.

She even had her embellishments ready to go and had

printed some Halloween images for me! But before we could begin, we had to eat those luscious cinnamon rolls I stopped in Yoder, KS and purchased for the three of us.

Under these images were the owls Kathy bought at Michael's on Friday.

For a few minutes, it was an assembly line, where Kathy cut the paper, since the cutter was on her side of the table, and I scored the paper using her scoring tool.

Fast forward a couple of hours and a few dozen mistakes made by both of us, Kathy was still reworking the one card she managed to complete the entire day.

I thought I should at least get a photo of this card that took so long to make.

In the meantime, I had made these two cards, as well as

these two. Of course, I hated the way the stamps refused to stamp over the yellow moons, so I tried to hide the mess I made on both. To Kathy's credit, she got out a small applicator, and tried to repair the four birds in the top card above.

I even put messages inside all of my cards, although I only proved what a lousy stamper I am.

I spent the remainder of the day cutting or embossing using Kathy's Sizzex, eating a fabulous spur of the moment meal prepared by Kathy,

or punching holes. At this point, Kathy was working on a second card. Hers are always so elegant!

At dark-thirty, I left as Kathy said goodby from her doorway. I didn't get home until after midnight, so I was dead tired and just crashed. I didn't check any blogs or put anything away. In fact, some of the things I brought home are still sitting on the table or chair in my craft room. I have decided to try to make a few cards with the images and die cuts I brought home, so there is no need to put them away. But today, I knew I had to remove these photos from my camera, then shop for groceries. A late start on both, but I'll get there. Have a great Wednesday, everyone. I'm off to buy groceries and will be by for a brief visit later.


14 thoughtful remarks:

Anonymous said...

Wow what a long day. Great cards though and I am sure you will be making many more for us to view. xox

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I envy Kathy's stocked craft room almost as much as yours! I think all the cards came out really nice. I'm inspired to make some for my daughter at college. Thanks, Elizabeth, for adding yet another craft to my growing list!!
I'll hopefully post my clay AB page tomorrow. Made the clay today & I'll attach & post tomorrow.

kimmie said...

wow - that was a marathon!!! I have never seen so many supplies in one place - except at Michael's or JoAnne's :)

Halle said...

Wow!! What a day!! Looks like even amidst the failures you had a very productive and fun day. Heck, a day spent with a friend is a good day.

~*~Patty S said...

Looks and sounds like a full and fun day E!

Dianne said...

what a full day...and the cards turned out beautifully! and cinnamon rolls for breakfast sound divine...hope you get rested up from all that crafting!

Monica said...

Wonderful set up and day. good friends all round.

sandra de said...

Ohh you lucky girl, it looks like you had an absolutely fabulous time. Kathy stash is amazing.

elle said...

Early to late. Your day was as packed as I remember my Halloween sack!

Cindy McMath said...

What fun Elizabeth! I always love it when you take us along on your various adventures with Kathy. It always makes me think of my late friend Andrea and I who spent so many fun hours with stamping and shopping and just hanging out together.

Here's a tip for stamping over the moons. Stamp one image directly on the card. Stamp another roughly where you want it directly on the moon. Then just line them up and put the moon over top of the stamped image on the card and voila - no problem with stamping on an uneven surface.

I love the cards by the way - especially the haunted house cards with the keys and skulls - hard to believe it's time to think about Halloween already!

Cindy :)

Caterina Giglio said...

sounds like great fun and such ORGANIZATION... oh my! so nice to be back, but oh how lovely... sorry you are still sweltering, I am in sweats and socks here and have the heat on already!! x

sandee said...

How wonderful to have a crafty friend to go play with! It looks like ya'll had a great set up and lots to be creative with, I still chuckle at your ill fated stamping! You are too funny, but I'm glad to know there is someone who is worse at stamping than me! LOL waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

see you there! said...

How nice to spend the day stamping and cutting with a friend. I like to make cards but I use mostly scrap paper and a pen - don't have access to one of those fancy machines.

Sound like a great way to spend the day. I mean, any day that starts with cinnamon rolls has to be a good day doesn't it?


Rita said...

It's always a memorable day spent with a fellow crafter cutting, gluing, and laughing. What fun!! :):)