Saturday, September 17, 2011

Mess in a bag

I decided to try a technique I saw in Stampington, but like many techniques I try, I didn't have the required materials. The "recipe" called for Liquid Nails, but I knew I didn't have any. So I went on the internet to see if there was a difference between Liquid Nails and caulk. I couldn't find a thing, not a comparison, not even a chemical breakdown. So I decided to proceed full speed ahead. For this first part of the technique, I used Kwik Seal white caulk, which was all I had, along with some water and plastic bags. Originally, I was going to make three different batches of caulk and water, but I quickly learned there was probably not enough caulk for even one batch!


The instructions were to put the Liquid Nails (caulk in my case) and water in a zippered plastic bag and knead until the caulk and water were mixed well. Of course, I ran into a mess right off the bat because the Ziplock bag I managed to get the caulk into (boy that stuff is sticky, gooey, and hard to control) developed a hole that I noticed as soon as I added a bit of water. After kneading and mixing, I forgot to take a photo of the child's top you can see barely peep out below the doubled plastic bags.


Because I forgot to show the top before I added it to the bags, I tried to open the bags enough to show it before I kneaded the top with the caulk and water mix.


The next step was to remove the excess water and return the piece to the plastic bag and seal it for a few days. However, there was no excess water and the caulk mixture didn't begin to cover the shirt. My only hope was



the piece would magically take on that wonderful texture I saw in the magazine.



While I was waiting for the caulk and water mixture to penetrate the baby tee, I auditioned some rick rack I wanted to use as an embellishment.


After five days, I removed the tee from the baggie and placed it on a piece of chipboard which was actually the back of one of my watercolor paper tablets. I covered the backing with tissue paper that I further covered with fluid acrylics and gesso. I also forgot to photograph the backing, too.



According to the instructions, you should dry the piece in the position you want to display it. So I stood the piece and now I'm just waiting to see if it does anything. I feel I needed a lot more caulk than I used, so next time I will probably invest in Liquid Nails or a bigger container of caulk. Right now, it's a bit of a mess, quite gooey and limp, but hopefully it will be ready in time for Wednesday, since so many WOYWWers want to see the finished project.

Also on Wednesday, I will be joining Seth Apter for his latest blog collaboration, this time called Paper Stacks. So I will have two posts on Wednesday, since I can't seem to think of a way to combine both posts. It should be a fun venture!

14 thoughtful remarks:

Ohhh Snap said...

I've never heard of liquid nails (sounds like a contradiction in terms to me lol). Looks like a fun project! I missed Wednesday, but I'm peaking in here and there. I'll have to make sure I see both of your Wednesday posts : ).

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

okay so now I know what you were up to will see the finished project next week all being well, Shaz in Oz.x

voodoo vixen said...

Aha! I think I see where you want this to go... I'm trying to imagine Liquid Nails inside a plastic bag... that stuff really sticks!! Hope it all works out nicely and you shouldn't have any trouble drying it with the heat!! ;)

~*~Patty S said...

you had me on the edge of my seat with your experiment dear E...you are too much fun!

now you also have me curious which Stampington mag that was in? I only get CPS in the mail at the moment and I confess I seldom get past looking at the pictures...always mean to actually READ but well you know life moves so fast sometimes

I think it's brilliant how you venture out and make techniques your own ... you inspire me again and again AND I can't stop wishing we lived on the same street and could have regular play dates ;)
oxo

kimmie said...

You really know how to play :)
It will be fun to check back on Wednesday and see what evolved here :)

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Oh, I am all too familiar with liquid nails! I love how the home improvement stores are becoming the new art supply shops! This was an interesting technique!

Dandelion and Daisy said...

I appreciate your willingness to experiment. I'd have really messed that one up. Last spring, I made some "dresses" for a collage using canvas and plaster of paris. It dried hard but I added fabric, lace and cheese cloth to the top of the canvas to give it depth. It was a technique in Pam Carriker's "Art at the Speed of Life". I'm thinking plaster might work to hold an article of clothing in shape...there's another experiment for you. lol!

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Fingers crossed for texture! A bit like kneading bread I would imagine. Good thing you used that bag!

Seth said...

I love the fact that you always share the steps of the process and that you willing to be so experimental. I will now look forward to Wednesday on two counts.

priti.lisa said...

What a process!!! I am thankful you did all of the messy-ness and will share the result...intriguing...
♥♥♥

Halle said...

I'd have never guessed liquid nails or chalk for that matter. Wow...what a mess. Remember to update as it dries...

steph said...

this looks like fun!!! I have caulk and i used it for transfers....thanks for sharing!!!

apaperbear said...

A very interesting technique in deed!

Kezzy said...

Ah more of the story revealed, starting to understand why the baby top was in a bag lol, can't wait for tomorrow to see it finished. Kezzy x