Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Why I'm not at WOYWW this week

I wanted to join WOYWW, but I had too many photos and too much going on in my life that will keep me away from my computer and visiting my Wednesday friends this week. So having said that, this photo intensive post is why I'm not joining Julia this week.


Many months ago I had four different companies come and give me bids on a new front porch. Some of you may even remember the process I went through. Last week, I finally signed papers with the company I had chosen many months ago. It's a good thing they don't get paid until the job is completed.


They began destroying the porch before I even realized they were doing it. They hadn't even asked me where I wanted the things that were on the porch.


One of the workers was checking the size of the decking.


Another worker removed the precious cargo (AKA a rocking horse) I didn't want destroyed.


The rocking horse looked a bit forlorn as it left its place on the porch.


Then there was lots more discussion about the decking. That's certainly not how I would replace the porch, but it's the way the older gentleman wanted it done.


I didn't realize how bad the porch was until everything was off it.


It wouldn't be long, now.


You can see the decking is running crosswise to the boards, but that's not the way it will look this evening. I asked them to save the wood because there was some wonderful stuff there that could have been used for art, but they


threw it all in a pile, then threw it all in their trailer. I was sick!


By this time, the railings were also gone,


but the columns were still hanging on.


By evening, the decking was in, and it still seems counter intuitive to me that they would put the decking the same direction as the floor boards, so I will have to wait to see how this works out.


Not sure you can see, but the columns are now also gone.


They left the one that has my mail box, I assume for the mail.


Of course, the big guy


had to inspect the project, too.


After a brief bowl of soup, I was off to the basement, where the floor was finally dry and I could walk on it. My first encounter was my laundry basket, which appeared to be broken under the strain of too many things being put in it.


What a MESS the painters made. They had NO idea how to pack anything, nor did they care if anything had rhyme or reason. This is ONE HUGE mess I'm walking into and I'm the one who will have to


figure out where everything goes.


And even though I asked they not put anything on the shelves in the hall, it appears they did, anyway.


Even my well organized shelves in the studio were jammed and crammed with things that definitely didn't belong there.


Right now I'm shaking my head in disbelief. At least this is just the mess that will go back in the hallway. The studio items are still in storage, and I hope they don't want to bring them back until I


have the chance to get this mess cleaned up and cleared. Not sure how "up to it" I am, but I know it won't get done unless I do it. Enough said. I'm off to greet the guys building my porch, then I plan to spend at least SOME time in my basement today.

15 thoughtful remarks:

Annie said...

All i can say is....huge hugs xxxx
A x

voodoo vixen said...

OMGoodness Elizabeth!! I feel for you... I really do!! I have been on my own with all the chaos and the mess and the piles of boxes and it is daunting and you really believe it will never get tidied and organised again.... but you can, honest!! One box at a time, one day at time... and you will get there!!
Big hugs my friend... head down and bum up...

Wendy said...

I'm impresssed, Elizabeth! The fact that you haven't gone postal is amazing to me ; ) I hate noise, chaos and change, even if it's for the better. I can't wait to see how the new porch will look like though. I love how Bluebeard is supervising all the construction, leave it to a cat!

Darla said...

Major home repairs just sap my energy even if I've hired someone to do the actual repair work. Hang in there my friend.

Darla

~*~Patty S said...

Oh my so much upheaval can really be hard and that's putting it mildly!

Hang in there my friend
when the dust settles you are going to have a mighty fine and lovely front porch...just in time for Spring too!

I am wishing lately I had a magic wand to bring order to all we've dragged home from my Mom's house

Happy Spring!
oxo

Halle said...

No wonder you've been so quiet...because your whole home is in disarray from all the construction! I bet you're about ready for some chocolate now... ;)

JGG said...

I feel your pain - the invasion - the disrespect - the chaos - just look for the light at the end of the tunnel, and take Halle's advice - chocolate!

Clare with paint in her hair said...

Wow I cant believe the painters directly did the total opposite if what you asked! I hope you complain about their handling of your belongings! I wish I could come over and give you hand to make it a bit easier for you!

Clare

Theresa MacNaughton said...

Oh my goodness! I hope you have a lovely porch in the end. So much going on - I love how your sweet kitty is watching everything that's going on! Theresa

Healing Woman said...

You'll have your porch in just in time for summer. Perfect. Think how wonderful your rocking horse will look in her new surroundings too. I hate clutter but I think you hate it worse than I do. I'll bet you have that mess cleaned up in no time flat.

Caterina Giglio said...

oh my so disturbing to the psyche! I am living in my moving mess and it is just awful! sending you a commiserating hug! xx

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh.

i hate stuff like that.

i swear i just go to bed until i figure out who the heck is going to clean that mess up for me.

i hate crazy disorder.

except the kind where i know where it all is, but is still technically tidy.

Dianne said...

seems to me that things are really 'hoppin' around your house! Hope you don't overdo it...maybe a magic studio elf will come and organize everything while you're asleep...you can hope...take care.

Dandelion and Daisy said...

The only good thing about construction is: it will end, atleast those projects will. It will be nice when it is finsihed, it's getting there that is painful. Take Friday off....it's your birthday....and eat lots of cake WITH frosting! Happy Birthday, Jan

Helen said...

I was stopping by from Julia's blog to catch up as you were missing from WOYWW - I can see why now, totally!! Wishing you a very happy birthday today, I am sorry I didn't know in advance. Wishing you luck with your renovations and am looking forward to see both basement and porch when they are back in their full glory! Happy Birthday, again. Love, Helen.