Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Fabric paper

Belinda wrote a great tutorial on fabric paper that I followed to a certain point. Belinda used a brayer to add three colors to fabric that was covered with various text papers. Since I'm not a brayer person, I had to improvise.
I spent nearly a day getting to this point. It took a long time to cut the papers and attach them. So, if you are looking for a quick project, this is not one.
Belinda suggested some papers should be overlapped and some material should be left free of paper, which I did. Then I added red, purple, and yellow cheap acrylic paint using a credit card rather than a brayer. The fabric soaked the paint up faster than the paper and bled to the backside of the material. That's why I used my craft sheet and moved the fabric while applying paint, so the craft sheet would catch any seeping paint.

As I was applying the paint, I realized that many of the text papers were not glued completely on the corners. I kept catching the credit card and pulling the paper up on one corner or another. The only way to correct that, in my opinion, was to cover the entire piece with gel medium, something I use sparingly.
To make sure that I was able to cover every inch of the fabric paper with color, I added some lovely gold paint to the gel medium. I squirted six drops of gold into the bottom of the cup and added a very generous spoonful of gel medium to the mix.
It looked pretty good after I stirred and stirred and stirred and stirred and (OK, you get the picture).
This is what the strip of material looked like after I applied the glaze/gel mixture. You can see a definite sheen left from the gel.
Although it is subtle, the gold covered the text that was not covered before and the gel adhered all the errant paper corners.
This is a decent closeup (colorwise) of the fabric paper. After it dries for a day, I'll either stitch all over it, or cut it up and use it for backgrounds in various projects.

1 thoughtful remarks:

Anonymous said...

E- I really liked the colors of the finished product! I too have been thinking about trying this project, and now I know I need to have a good block of time to do it in...
Dianne