Saturday, March 29, 2008

Prototype of back side of Anniversary Circles

We're celebrating our 5th anniversary on ABC yahoo group. Yes, it's hard to believe it's been 5 years, but it will be on July 1. This year we're exchanging both circles and charms, the circles to be the size of a CD. I wanted to play with a prototype for the BACK of my circle swap entry, so I used a real CD as the base, which of course I won't use when I make the originals for the swap.

Now for me, a prototype is just that: an idea, this time on paper and CD. Since I'm really in love with houses at the moment, I thought a house would be just the thing.

Susan, the Artful Mama is a talented artist. I check her blog nearly every day. Recently, she played with a Claudine Hellmuth technique of using acrylic paint to make a transparency or transfer. Susan did this on a Formica chip and got incredible results. After reading the rave reviews from Susan, I decided to try the technique. Granted, both Susan and Claudine used photocopies and I used a magazine picture, but mine didn't turn out as well as Susan's.

Susan said she "slathered" the paint on the Formica chip, so I squirted out WAY MORE silver paint than I needed for the technique. So much so, I don't think I got a good bond. The transfer is supposed to be two cardinals in trees, but (and I realize the scan sucks) you can't see it because not enough transferred.

So, what stays, what goes, and what will change? First, I will need to improve the transfer technique, which may take a few more trials, but I like the general overall layout. The "5," which is made of wood, the traditional 5th Anniversary gift medium, will stay. So will the Formica chip. Obviously, the "roof" of the house will be different, as will the background. I'm leaning toward painted backgrounds in the style of Lynne Perrella and the colorful banner on her website. Whether I use that specific background or not, I'll make my own with paint, ink, and other media. I will also change the "chimney," making it more three dimensional. Some things I'm toying with are beads, probably hand made, or maybe wire twisted in a funky shape. I also plan to change the font on "Mi casa, su casa" and add a pressed leaf or flower on the left side of the house. But, this is a prototype, an idea that is not set in stone. It's only in the planning stage, and could change quickly.

As for the front, you'll just have to stay tuned for it!!!

0 thoughtful remarks: