Pages

▼

Sunday, October 13, 2019

Monday Murals: WichiKitty


I apologize for not visiting everyone promptly last Monday.  It appears a pesky squirrel chewed its way through my phone/internet line.  As a result, I had no phone or internet for over three days.  By that time, Sami's linky list was closed and I decided it was too late to visit everyone.  Again, I am SO sorry.  I will be by to visit everyone this week, at least those whose blogs accept blogger and anyone who isn't on Instagram.  Now for this week's mural.

I'm joining Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals. I've decided to post at my regular time, so please be aware that Sami's mural linky won't go live until 11:00 a.m. my time.

This is WichiKitty, a new piece of art created this summer. 

It was painted by Brickmob artist lastdiviant.  It is found at Harbinger Construction at 1520 E Douglas, Wichita, Kansas (USA).

Imagine my surprise when I didn't have a photo of this kitty straight on.  I snagged this from the internet.  Here is a blurb from our Business Journal:
Local artists decorated brick walls and tucked-away doors last weekend (edit: September 21) during Avenue Art Days, an initiative from the Douglas Design District to bring vibrancy and civic engagement to a stretch of Douglas Avenue from Washington Street to Clifton Square.
Further this is how WichiKitty was described:
a cartoonish cat with a piece of the Wichita flag as its right eye.
For those of you unfamiliar with Wichita, KS (USA) and our flag, here it is.

Also from the same article in the Business Journal:
Avenue Art Days started five years ago in an effort to beautify the district, which includes more than 300 locally owned businesses that have an emphasis on design. The Douglas Design District puts out a call each year for design ideas and last weekend about 20 local artists were commissioned to paint the town.
Funding for Avenue Art Days comes from a yearly fundraising event in which people and businesses can pay to sponsor a mural. The money goes toward paint and supplies, but mostly to provide a stipend for the artists.
Each year, business owners vie for a chance to get a mural on the side of their building. Other times the Douglas Design District board goes hunting for canvas space.
If you enjoy murals, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.


33 comments:

  1. It reminds me of Simon´s cat :-)
    One day.... for now I only have my stripy tiger from Janosch...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fun cat. Good that more and more murals are brightening up walls these days. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great scheme- you know I love seeing buildings brightened up by art! Love the clever use of the flag! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a wonderful kitty mural! I love how they encompassed the Wichita flag element, so that WichiKitty is the purr-fect name ... ha ha 😀. Have a great Sunday! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute mural Elizabeth! And I love how the Wichita flag is incorporated into one eye, very clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this kitty mural your area has some really neat art and murals. adding the flag-very clever. hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever use of the flag element in this cute and bright mural! My upcoming blog post later today or tomorrow will show a mural in "Mural City"- Palatka, Florida. I visited there this weekend and was impressed by all of the murals there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anything cat related always looks great. (I'm still behind on visiting. I hope to catch up next week.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks a cheerful wall mural, it would for sure brighten many walls if it were allowed in my local town. I liked how part of your flag was used in the design as well, there are so many talented folk creating art in this way.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like Witchikitty. I like the sun connection to your city flag in the eye. It could also be New Mexikitty too because that sun is also on their flag. But you flag has the great dot in the middle. It looks great and this is fun. Happy rest of your weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love WichiKitty and darn squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That cat is enough to put a smile on anyone's face. And I love that it has that little visual in-joke (a nod and wink, if you like) to Wichita citizens. So happy to hear your camera story with that lovely happy ending. I've been watching a lot of Hope for Paws videos on youtube - another thing which restores one's faith in humanity (though one usually starts out each story by despairing of people, so it's swings and roundabouts!).
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now this is a mural I can fall in love with! It just makes me so darned happy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool Cat!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Of course I love the kitty!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the reply about the symbols on the flag. That is really fascinating. And I think the court decided correctly. I don't think anyone place owns that sun symbol. I think it is cool your city has a flag. I don't know of many that do, so that makes it special. Smile. Erika

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now that's a cool cat. Nothing complicated and yet...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that is cool that the cat eye is the symbol inside the flag's sun. I read the symbol is Native American for Home. Nice. Did not even know cities had flags. Learned something new. xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great to get a cat face with such few crispy lines. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ...simple and simply wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute kitty. Years ago neighbours had an orange cat named Roger who was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wichikitty is super cool Eizabeth, love the expression on it's face, it's like 'whatever' 😉

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cool! It's such a great idea to use these walls for large art pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Clean. Neat. Eye-catching.
    I love the colors too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a cool looking kitty with some humour.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wowww this is a so fun and Wonderful mural Elizabeth !! Love the idea to paint the flag in the kitty´s eye. I love to see art in the buildings.
    Don´t worry for the days without internet, sometimes we for any reason, we can´t post or visit as we would like to. that´s life.
    I wish you a very nice Thursday, and send big hugs,
    Caty

    ReplyDelete
  27. I do like this kitty mural :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are very important to Bleubeard and me. I appreciate it when you care enough to stop by and even more when you leave a short message letting me know you were here.

I don't want to ever turn on comment moderation, so when I find comments that don't relate to my blog content, your comment will immediately be deleted.