Pages

▼

Monday, January 17, 2022

Bricks

 

I'd like to begin by saying I completely forgot it was Martin Luther King Jr. Day.  This is a Federal holiday in the United States memorializing the birthday of Martin Luther King Jr.  It is observed on the third Monday of January each year.  That means a three day holiday for many people in the States.

Erika, who many of you know as BioArtGal, is our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  By now you probably know her theme is Let's Face It. 

I named this Bricks partly because of the brick wall the girl is walking past,
 
partly to make sure no bricks hit her,

and partly because she won't give in to the problems that are or will be thrown at her.

I started this page by mixing sand and black paint with molding paste.  Once relatively mixed, I used a stencil (gifted to me by Mia) to create the wall behind the girl.  The sentiment, which was my own reads:
A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation on bricks others have thrown at her.

I fussy cut the girl from a Norman Rockwell poster and added her to the page.  BTW, if you look closely at the sentiment, when I was printing the words, I accidentally grabbed a sheet of watermarked resume paper onto which to print it.

Thank you ever so much for visiting today.  Bleubeard and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own interpretation of Let's Face It.    
 

20 comments:

  1. Great work, clever.
    I saw so many pics of how women in Germany after WWII rebuilding with bricks. How they gathered them, having barely enough to eat. Yet the power.

    We are so lucky now and often forget...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an excellent sentiment, beautifully expressed - and something to aspire to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful journal page, love the image of the girl. Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this page! The whole composition works beautifully and looks as though it were the original design. And I like the sentiment, too! Good to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that girl. She looks like she is trying to avoid something. Maybe the bricks in the wall makes her think of ones she has had to deal with that others have put in her way. I like the layout and the brick wall. Fun. Thanks again for sharing a page for my challenge at AJJ. It is much appreciated! See you tonight for T. Hugs Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful page and I like the quote

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful and I love the sentiment too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is very special Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your art goes well with the quote. And what an encouraging, inspirational quote!

    ReplyDelete
  10. IT's painful to witness the current dismantling of King's legacy and accomplishments in respect to voting rights. The hatred and desperation of racist America that was so virulent at the end of his life is still with us, and the racists have new energy. SO horrifying.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a terrific image and a wonderful quote!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a wonderful art page Elizabeth ! love this little girl, and this sentiment is great. I also love the bricks you have created with sand.
    I wish you a very nice week, and send big hugs,
    Caty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its a super image of the girl you added to this page and I do wonder what she is shielding her eye from, you sure created a page to make me think about today.
    Stay safe.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and your clever mind ... great job ... love that image!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A gorgeous page Elizabeth, and I love that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great sentiment and so true when you think of the women trying to win the right to vote and not have so many kids. The suffragettes had many bricks thrown at them. I like the page you created.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this and the face you have chosen to represent the strength of women. It's a truly wonderful page for Erika's AJJ theme, hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are very important to Bleubeard and me. I appreciate it when you care enough to stop by and even more when you leave a short message letting me know you were here.

I don't want to ever turn on comment moderation, so when I find comments that don't relate to my blog content, your comment will immediately be deleted.