Pages

▼

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Words of Wisdom


Today we welcome a new host for the month of April at Art Journal Journey.   I'm sure many of you are going to be thrilled to welcome my friend Valerie at Bastelmania.  Many of you remember Valerie was one of the original administrators of Art Journal Journey and I personally am delighted she agreed to host this month.  Bleubeard is excited, too!  I should mention Valerie's theme is Geometric Shapes.

It's also the first day of 22 where I rethink, reduce, reuse, recycle, re-invent, redesign, re-craft, recover, restore, rebuild, revamp, reclaim, and/or re-purpose something to keep it out of our landfill.  I invite you to join me on this quest, since most of us are in the same stay-at-home boat.


I call this Words of Wisdom.

It probably comes as no surprise to us mixed media artists we save words and phrases we can use in our art. 

Many of us rummage through our saved words and phrases when words fail us

and we are looking for just the right word, phrase, or quote to complete a spread.

Today I rummaged through my words and phrases and tried to make something relatively coherent.

This reminds me of finding hidden words and meaning on a book page, a technique that was popular about the time I started making altered books (circa 2003).


For this page, I began with 110 lb card stock I cut to 8.5 X 5.5 inches (21,59 X 13,97 centimeters).  I started laying the words out on a full sheet (11 X 8.5 inches or 27,94 X 13,97 centimeters), but soon realized I had not saved enough words and phrases to complete the full sheet.  I was going for rectangles, a geometric shape, and should probably have used my guillotine cutter instead of cutting free style.  As a result, a few of my words and phrases didn't line up too well.

Thank you beyond belief for visiting today.  This is Day 1 of 22 and I recycled words and phrases from various magazines, junk mail, and travel journals.  I also made this easy enough, if you want to play along, you can surely find a few words and phrases to complete the project.  They don't  have to be in the shape of rectangles.  IF you make something, just let me know in a comment and I will feature it on my blog.

Bleubeard and I are thrilled that you visited today.  We hope you will join Valerie, Yvonne, Erika, Bleubeard, and me this month at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by Geometric Shapes.  Please be aware, we want to see your altered book pages, journal pages, loose journal art, canvases, fabric pages, and digital art.  However, we cannot accept cards, ATCs, ATCoins, tags, or 3-D art, and will be forced to delete your entry.

28 comments:

  1. Lovely piece Elizabeth, have fun with your recycling. Great idea with using all those cut out words. Thanks for the welcome, too. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun with recycling, doing a great job.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever idea, you give me inspiration!
    Would it count if it was my Dad´s work? I could do an entry with that. He made a journal when I was born. Also re-using words from magazines, but it´s not really geometrical...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fantastic page for your recycling month and for Valerie's new Art Journal Journey theme.
    It must have taken quite a while to pick out the words and phrases. Yes we save them to use and still I would be looking for just the right one to fit the page.
    I'm looking forward to see your recycling posts you always share so many super ideas.
    Stay safe and well dear friend.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great use of recycling and a super clever take on geometric shapes. I would never have thought of that.I like it! And thanks so much for linking up my post for me last night. I am trying to stick to a school sleep schedule as best I can so it won't be a shock if we go back.And yes in response to a comment you left me about bargains, mostly I am a bargain shopper because there is only so much money to go around. Lately I seem to spend it almost all of it on food because usually the hubby usually does half the grocery shopping but since he is immune suppressed he can't go anywhere like that. (Just rides in the car for him). I am also trying not to hit the freezer or the can goods because when (and if) if gets bad enough I can't get to the grocery store I need a reserve. I don't yet know what that bad enough is-but I will know it when it comes. But even now I don't want to go more than once a week and just stay away from people. Take care of yourself my friend. Enjoy your art recycle month and staying home to play. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Playing with words was popular with the conceptual art movement a few decades ago, and I really enjoy their work My favorite is the work "Five Words in Orange Neon" which IS what it SAYS. Yours is different but interesting. Today I collected posts about words too -- signs on shops that reflect the current crisis.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've managed to touchon two important things with this post, recycling and the use of power of words of wisdom. Great post. Sending some air hugs your way. RO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elizabeth, I made it back again this week, I love all your words and a great way of recycling too, I shall be looking to be inspired with your month of recycling, I never throw away boxes, tins, you name it I save it.
    Hope you enjoy the rest of your week, we have sun!!!! some rain later but we don't care we've had a dry day at last.
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Word art is such fun- all those fonts mixed together in a message. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful recycled and geometric page Elizabeth! I really like the words and phrases you used too.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowowowowow you are so cleaver. I love this piece. It is nice Valerie is your hostess this time. She is amazing.
    Be safe and Elbow hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea, Elizabeth! Yes, I have a box of words and phrases. I can do this. I look forward to seeing your recycling projects. I'm joining in as much as I can.

    Stay home and stay well, dear friend Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a brilliant idea to make up your rectangles out of words and phrases - you know that's going to make me happy!! I like the freestyle cutting - it's got much more spontaneity to it than a perfect guillotine cut. Fabulously positive words - a great collection.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a so great Art page Elizabeth !! I ´ve enjoyed to read every word, so inspirational. I like to recycle too. It is always satisfying. It´s fabulous for Valerie´s new theme at Art Journal Journey.
    I wish you a very nice day,
    Big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woo Hoo, Val!

    Elizabeth, some great words and phrases in your piece. Hope especially speaks to me.
    Stay safe. Stay healthy, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super page! I am really looking forward to your pieces this recycling month my friend!
    Can't believe that you are not on a roll ... I hope your muse refreshes soon! If the troubles with the inet are fixed you will have fun again, I am sure!
    Have a great Bearth month my friend!
    Take good care of you!

    Susi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Words of wisdom" is an encouragement for me today :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Terrific page! I'll try to recycle too, I love the idea ~ Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like your use of recycled words, Elizabeth. And it fits the rectangles/geometric theme perfectly!

    Thanks, too, for coming by. Your words made me smile so much, which I really needed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love all the typography you collected for this one. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for your comment re my home. Yes, I am happy to be at home, nothing out of the normal for me anyway, just a few restrictions as we are helping our son and DIL as they are now struggling he was made redundant and we are paying their rent which is high..., so a tad hard..

    ReplyDelete
  22. A wonderful idea with the play of shapes and colors on your journal
    Greetings Elke

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just know I am going to love seeing your posts leading up to B'Earthday! I love how you did this! Such clever idea! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Always good to recycle and reuse and repurpose! Inspiring page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so clever Elizabeth and a great choice of words, i'd have never thought of designing for the geometric theme in this way but it's such a positive piece. I may have to use this somewhere down the creative line. Would look fab framed in the craft room. Hope you are keeping well during these trying times, i've had to take a little time out so not been online much due to many hurdles with my care duties. Hoping for a little me time this weekend.
    Stay safe hugs Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the words, thoughts, recycling and design on this, Elizabeth. I need to start saving words like this too. Love the positive focus! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the use of words and the design of this project!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are very important to Bleubeard and me. I appreciate it when you care enough to stop by and even more when you leave a short message letting me know you were here.

I don't want to ever turn on comment moderation, so when I find comments that don't relate to my blog content, your comment will immediately be deleted.