Pages

▼

Sunday, October 27, 2019

Monday Murals: Mead Crossing the Arkansas


I'm joining Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals. I've decided to post at my regular time, but please be aware that Sami's mural linky doesn't go live until 11:00 a.m. my time.

This mural is called Mead Crossing the Arkansas.  Granted, the motorcycle looks out of place in front of this mural found just north of the intersection at Douglas and Cleveland in Wichita, Kansas (USA).  It is on the side of the AdvantEDGE Quality Cars building.  This was painted by Brickmob, the same person who gave us WichiKitty a couple of weeks ago. 

This mural shows the true Wichita spirit, as it depicts both the Wichita skyline and the Wichita flag.  I believe it's also a play on the bathtub races Wichita has (or at least had) during Riverfest, our annual spring event that focuses on and around the Arkansas River.

So who was Mead and why was he so important in the history of Wichita, KS?  In May 1859, James R. Mead began his journey westward to Kansas Territory.  Once in Kansas he established several trading posts, one being in 1864 between the Little and Big Arkansas Rivers.

Remember, at the confluence of these two rivers is where our Keeper of the Plains, a huge metal sculpture created by Blackbear Bosin, is located and less than two miles from where I live.

Mead was the first white settler in what is now Wichita.  During this time Mead was actively hunting and trading with the Indians who lived in the area.  He also became good friends with Jesse Chisholm.  Mead was an avid record keeper.  He wrote that Chisholm was the first to forge a trail through the region and it was for that reason the Chisholm Trail was named for him.

Mead was involved in many business ventures, which included real estate, cattle (also depicted in this mural), mining, and banking.  He was elected to the Kansas House of Representatives and later to the Kansas Senate.  Mead saw big possibilities in Wichita, and that is why he decided to settle here.  I wonder what he would think of this mural

created for Avenue Arts Days two years ago.

If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.

23 comments:

  1. Fun mural and interesting to read that it has a special meaning for Kansas. I love the Keeper of the plains. Have a great Sunday, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great mural and thanks for sharing the story. Glad you enjoyed the last visit to Kew with Chihuly! I imagine it took them 2-3 days to plant up the beds outside the Palm House. (btw I did share all the glass pieces names way back in April when I first saw them but we've been several times (ahem) since then and obviously didn't repeat them all every visit!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Elizabeth, I´m sorry, but the statue sure "beats" the mural! Wow, it is stunning!
    Great perspective, perfect light.
    Thank you for telling the story of both, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning, I enjoyed reading about the history-Love the mural-the motorcycle actually looks kinda cool sitting there-difference in time periods shown. I really love the statue too
    Have a good Sunday Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mural is magnificent, and always love when you share the history tied to everything. So much to learn for sure. Hope your Sunday is amazing! Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed learning more of the history of your city. The idea of the bathtub races made me smile. How fun! The Keeper of the Plains is quite magnificent, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this mural and I even like the bike in front of it. It puts time into perspective. But I especially loved the story about settling Wichita. I didn't realize it was at the confluence of those 2 rivers. There are so many big rivers who names I have heard of but aren't really sure exactly where they go to. Thanks for sharing. It is fascinating to read about. Happy Sunday! Erika

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love graffiti art, Elizabeth. And this mural is great! Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The murals depicting historic figures are wonderful to give a sense of place :) People should be encouraged to know their history, and this looks like just the encouragement I'd need to start googling ;) Thanks for providing background that I'm sure most locals already know. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! Happy ne week ahead dear Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I especially love that Keeper of The Plains sculpture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...I like the motorcycle park in front! Interesting that the boat is powered by cattle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting and a great mural. And just like Tom said: I like the motorcycle in front!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's such an interesting story behind the mural, Thanks for sharing,
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely mural Elizabeth and thanks for the background story too.
    Are the boats pulled by cows?
    The statue of Mead is beautiful and I like the way it was photographed.
    Thanks for contributing Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great mural. Thank you for telling me about Mead. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The mural is a good one but that sculpture is amazing! And the pic of it is super!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's cool! I never heard of Mead. I love the mural and especially the oxen pulling him along in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That metal sculpture is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another great mural - so cool that it tells the stories of local history too - and I thought the motorbike looked rather good posed in front of it. The metal sculpture is amazing.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic mural Elizabeth !! Love to know the so interesting story of Mead, thanks so much for sharing. This sculpture is amazing.
    I wish you a great day ! biiig hugs,
    Caty

    ReplyDelete
  22. The motorcycle is a good modern link between old and new! Love the mural and another great history lesson from you! I always love to see the Keeper of the Plains! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are very important to Bleubeard and me. I appreciate it when you care enough to stop by and even more when you leave a short message letting me know you were here.

I don't want to ever turn on comment moderation, so when I find comments that don't relate to my blog content, your comment will immediately be deleted.