Pages

▼

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Journal 52, Week 28: Mail Art meets Art Journal Journey's postage

I'm joining Chelle at Journal 52 for her Week 28 prompt, which is mail art.  I'm also joining Art Journal Journey with their post and postage prompt for July.  This was just too good not to share.

I interpreted Journal 52's prompt far differently than most, I suspect.  Note, too, there is no journaling on this page.  As usual, I started with my used file folder,

to which I added the sewn and dry brushed security envelopes.  I love all the different designs and colors that I loosely cut and sewed together.  I've probably mentioned this before, but never on these two challenge blogs, I couldn't sew a straight line if my life depended on it.

I had an extra hanger left over from my dresses project of 2010, so put it to good use.  I also found this beautiful star I made and painted, along with others, several years ago from egg shells.  I placed a bird postage stamp on the dress's shoulder, and allowed a postage stamp butterfly to wander around overhead.


The top was cut from anaglyptus wallpaper, then colored.  The sleeves were cut and added separately.  The small postage stamp butterfly was meant to be sitting on the shirt sleeve.

The skirt was made from painted deli paper.  Three white flowers were colored, then added to the skirt.  Old plastic Mardi Gras beads became the flower centers.

This image is for Journal 52, denoting it is Week 28.

Here is one more look now that you have the specifics.

Thanks to all for visiting.  I hope you like how I interpreted both Journal 52's and Art Journal Journey's prompts.  Your kind comments keep me going.


23 comments:

  1. I think your manilla folder piece is terrific. I like how you used bits of this and that and came up with a terrific design. The envelope inner background is an inspired idea. I check all the envelopes that arrive here in case I find a new one I haven't already got. have a smashing week ahead :o))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sewing may be crooked but it is oh so interesting. I just love the way you put together that background (as a collector of envelopes myself). The dress is adorable and the postage butterfly just the perfect touch. Wonderfully done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. really like what you have done with this one and hey ...I would wear that dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely interpretation of the theme with lots of great ideas, and the stitched background. Thanks for joining us again at Art Journal Journey, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your mail art piece E.- every detail is just SUPER!
    The stithced background looks amazing!
    So glad you could combine with Journal 52 this time .
    Thank you very much for this wonderful page for Art Journal Journey Challenges !Great to have you with us!!♥♥♥
    Have a beautful new week!
    xxx
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW this is an amazing page, adore the colours. I am collecting all the prompts for Journal 52 still despite my crafting doldrums. However I was so waiting for the SOC prompt this week I have done it still in my nightie and got No.1 position, horrah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really charming, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow a brilliant work of art and love how you have described it all in your work...sewing is meant to be crooked on our art isn't it, I love it...have joined your blog as a new follower.xx
    {aNNie My Personal Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the texture that outfit has. How beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I think this may be my favorite of art you have made on file folders! The background is such a soft I love stamps and butterflies so this one is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would definitely wear that dress. I love the colors in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. BRAVO!!!! First for staying with J52 for 28 weeks.......I stopped so long ago I wouldn't be able to get back on track. I just couldn't get "into" the prompts this year.

    Second, this is really a lovely piece of art, really like your interruption of the prompt.

    I'll be back around for T-day later......

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous page Elizabeth! Love how you made the outfit!! Best of all that background - you really are such an inspiration for recycling 'stuff'!! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the sewing! I'd love to be able to sew... wonky or straight!
    to answer your questions re Hampton Court - yes, the water is on site, they have 3 weeks to build the gardens and yes, they're pulled down straight away. Some of them are donated or transferred on for example to charities, if they're built on behalf of one. They have a plant sell off on the Sunday afternoon (like at Chelsea Flower show) There was a tv special a few years ago that followed the build from behind the scenes, it was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since this is not a sewathon your sewing is perfect and it is such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is gorgeous Elizabeth!! I love how the color palette makes this very elegant and regal looking.

    ReplyDelete
  17. a wonderful page. love the sewing, and the Recycling of the envelopes is brilliant - what a good idea to bring them together with Color!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is a terrific interpretation of the two challenges. A mail worth waiting for.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Elizabeth, this is beautiful!! So creative too, love it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow!!! I love your creative idea in using folders and security envelopes. Fantastic journal page!
    I haven't done any art journaling in a long while. But I enjoy looking at what others have done and getting ideas. I pin them on Pinterest for future reference. :)

    Have a blessed day,
    Anne @ http://annepayne.blogspot.com/2015/07/giveaway-teapot-w-kitten-lid.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cutest ever dress. I like that gold lame top! xox

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I am losing it here!
    I could have sworn I commented on your lovely dress already...it may be that I need to retrace more steps of mine.
    Everything you used for this is so transformed with your vision and creativity.
    Makes me miss Margaret's 2010 dress challenge.
    Thank you for inspiring me.
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. AND the eggshells!!!
    I have two collections of those that are waiting patiently to be used...brilliant results there too E.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are very important to Bleubeard and me. I appreciate it when you care enough to stop by and even more when you leave a short message letting me know you were here.

I don't want to ever turn on comment moderation, so when I find comments that don't relate to my blog content, your comment will immediately be deleted.