Pages

▼

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

When One Door Closes

 

This entry was inspired by the guest host Laly Mille at the Life Books 2022 taster.  Her journal page was all about Poetic Secrets Journaling.  I hope to recreate something similar to what I learned in her class and share it with our guest host, my friend and co-administrator this month at Art Journal Journey, Valerie-Jael whose blog is Bastelmania.

Valerie's theme is When One Door Closes, Another One Opens.  Possibly a poor imitation of Laly's example, but I am actually quite proud of this.  It took forever to create and finish, too.

I'm working with this new camera and it doesn't show close ups well at all. 

I used ransom type letters to write the words.  This is "When."

More ransom letters spell "one door."

This one is fairly obvious.

These ransom letters spell "closes."

Here I deviate by using my own handwriting, which I'm sure is hard to read.  Because you may need to translate my handwriting:
find a door that welcomes you.  You will never be sorry.
Looks like that key can be used to unlock happiness.

Use this key.

I would be happy in this builder inspired bird house that sits among wind chimes. There are many doors in this bird house.

I even dug out the date stamp Valerie sent me.  I keep forgetting to use it.

This door is wide open, inviting all of us inside.

This was a very intense spread.  I began by finding two doors in a brochure about exterior paint.  One door was closed, the other open.  I had to fill a lot of the areas around the left page, so I looked at magazine images that would compliment the gray and black door and entry.  I used a lot of gray acrylic paint to fill the area.

The flowers on the far left were from a travel magazine, the greenery representing the bottom steps was from a calendar, and the black and gray image on the right was a part of a magazine that I painted with gray paint.  All letters were from at least five magazines.

For the right side, I cut and distressed a bright yellow paint chip that I used to write the sentiment by hand using one of my new gel pens.  I painted the bottom of the page with orange and red watercolors, then distressed two paint chip samples, one orange and one red.  For the orange one, I added a house key, and for the red one, I wrote a sentiment using another gel pen.  The bird house was cut from a Christmas magazine suggesting gifts for men.  As mentioned above, I added the date stamp sent to me by Valerie.  I created this spread in my Coll-AH-ge Two altered book.

Valerie, Chris, Erika, Yvonne, Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you this month at Art Journal Journey with your own take on When One Door Closes, Another One Opens.

Some of you may have noticed we have changed the "Dreaded Rules" a bit at Art Journal Journey starting last month.  We now allow mini journals and journal pages, but they must look like a journal and not a card.  Please be aware, we still do NOT allow cards or tags.  There are tons of challenge blogs that accept those.  We gladly welcome art journal pages that meet the theme requirements, altered book pages, canvases, loose or stand alone pages including fabric, and digital art.  Large size journal art is equally welcome.  To reiterate, we still do not allow cards, tags, index cards, ATCs, or ATCoins, unless they are part of a journal page, and as much as we don't want to, will be forced to delete your entry.  See you soon at Art Journal Journey.  


25 comments:

  1. You SHOULD be proud. Very proud. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous spread you have made, and yes, you can be proud of it! Love all the details. I can read your handwriting more easily that I can my own! Thanks for making this wonderful page for my theme at AJJ! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should be proud too. It's beautiful and rich with texture and color-and meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job espousing much wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Elizabeth! What a great start you have made to Valerie's theme. Lovely to see your handwriting on this too. Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doors are symbols of so many things, and yet are also utilitarian objects in the daily lives of all of us. As for your art above, you have every right to be proud. It is TERRIFIC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning this is an amazing journal spread you have made and what an interesting theme for AJJ too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this spread Elizabeth. It's a beauty. Your doors so look much more welcoming than the one on my page. The partially open on really welcomes you in. This is a fun take for the new challenge. And it is fun to see what you learned in this class. I hope you have a great start to the new month. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever spread. I like the key to unlock for happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it and what a clever, wonderful idea!
    Sad about the camera, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful and clever art journal spread, Elizabeth! I absolutely LOVE your key idea, too! Thanks so much for always stopping by my blog and leaving the nicest comments there, too. I really appreciate them and YOU for having AJJ monthly and inspiring me to get out of my comfort zone! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice! I like the doors you chose and how you arranged them, and I especially like the key.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such fabulous pages! Love how you used the door image and added the key - perfect 😁. I hope you're having a lovely week, happy December! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great theme. The key was a wonderful touch. And your writing is very readable.
    Happy first of December, dear Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a terrific theme and you'll do tons with it, Elizabeth. I know what you mean about your piece being intense. I can see that. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a beautiful spread Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love how you did your page. There was so much detail to see! Sorry, I missed TSFT. Not only is there not enough hours in the day, I am having laptop problems again. I broke the prong on the power cord that plugs into the new laptop and had to order another cord. So, I am back to the old laptop. Thank goodness it still works, but very slowly and only when it wants to! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. So creative! Good advice too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've created a fabulous journal spread and used great images for the welcoming doors, I love how you made us feel welcome to open the door and go in with those super quotes you used.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's clever Elizabeth, two doors on the one page and both so different and yet similar. I find the second one (on the right) more appealing for me to go in but I am intrigued by the tidy look of the first that I want to go inside and look around, meet the people and sit and chat. I am so glad the second door people have left the key for me - what a great idea.
    Hugs, Neet xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fabulous idea with the story and with the doors. Great journal pages
    Have a beautiful week, hugs, Elke

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the door pictures, that that key grabbed me. Very cool ideas here, Elizabeth, an dour pages came out so well. I am going through door number 2! HUgz

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are very important to Bleubeard and me. I appreciate it when you care enough to stop by and even more when you leave a short message letting me know you were here.

I don't want to ever turn on comment moderation, so when I find comments that don't relate to my blog content, your comment will immediately be deleted.