Pages

▼

Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Signs of October

 

Today I'm joining Tracey from Hotchpotchcreations, our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is My Favorite Color is October.   I'm also joining the lovely ladies at Creative Artiste where their mixed media challenge for October is always Anything Goes.

 I started this fabric journal page by dyeing the background fabric and the cheesecloth with coffee.

Back when I actually had color ink in my ink jet printer, I printed this lovely young lady on fabric backed by freezer paper.  When I was ready to use the image, I removed it from the freezer paper backing.  I have found these images store better if you leave the backing on the image until you are ready to sew it on the substrate.

You can see the cheesecloth matches the colors in the focal image, but the yellow in the ribbon is a bit too bright.  Then I realized I had forgotten a layer.  I really hated to rip out my sewing, but it was unfortunately necessary.

I apologize for these photos, but the lighting in my home is horrible now that the sun is moving to the south.  It's even worse that the lace I added was cut off from the lighting.

 I tried moving my camera.  I was able to show the coffee dyed lace, but I still had a shadow.

Here are a few close-up shots.





Note to self: next time iron fabric before assembling.

To qualify for Creative Artiste's mixed media challenge, I needed at least three different mediums.  I believe this qualifies because of all the layers I created.  The layers are white on white fabric dyed with coffee, burlap/hessian, dyed cheesecloth, ink jet printed focal image, coffee dyed lace, and burlap ribbon, all sewn together using variegated thread.  The flower was attached using E-6000.  And yes, I finally ironed the finished entry before adding the flower.

Thank you ever so much for visiting today.  Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you at both Creative Artiste with your mixed media take on Anything Goes, and Art Journal Journey with your journal take on My favorite color is October.    
 

24 comments:

  1. A really beautiful fabric collage Elizabeth! I love the image and the dyed lace!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is simply gorgeous. My mother made bobbin lace - and inadvertently stained some of it with coffee too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful piece Elizabeth, love how you assembled the various materials. Hope you are okay, you weren't around yesterday. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love her. And the whole page is so suiting her - the colors and the fabric, the background, perfect. The bird.
    You should frame this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely fabric collage Elizabeth, and what a fantastic print you have centre stage. I found some freezer paper I must have once bought and now I know what to do with it - well, would if I knew how to do it. You obviously have the knack.
    Hope you are all well and enjoying the autumnal colours around you.
    Hugs, Neet xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dyed fabric and the printed image match so well. I like the lace on the right which reminds me of stained glass windows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This fabric page is a wow Elizabeth. I love how you hand dyed it. And that lace is to die for. Isn't burlap a great texture source? This is just amazing and perfect for AJJ. Glad you shared it with us. Have a great mid-week. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m loving this piece with dyed fabric! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your texture and composition here. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so pretty. I would not be able to resist turning it into a little pillow or pincushion!

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a lovely piece Elizabeth, one of my favorites now

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is a very nice piece Elizabeth. I think the yellow makes the photograph of the lady stand out more. great work before, and after
    adding the lace !! :)☺☺♥3

    wavez two ewe bleu N squiggles, hope ewe R havin a get inta trubullz
    kinda day :) ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. squiggles; dood, we hope ewe get ta feelin sooooper better soooper fast
    and ya stay soooooper better......st francis' blessingz buddy ♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks great. I lovevthe girl and the lace you added. The soft volours work so well. In the hospital recuperating and should be home tomorrow. Sore but ok

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this is a gorgeous page Elizabeth, I love the fabric layers and the beautiful print of the lady. the lace trims look amazing as well. Its fabulous inspiration for the AJJ theme as well.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all of the textures. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is truly beautiful, Elizabeth. I admire your sewing this fine fabric, and even to have to rip it apart and start all over! I hate sewing, so I am amazed by your patience and stamina. All the work paid off in the end, it has turned out so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautifully matched fabrics and lace Elizabeth, there's always a calm when something quite vintage comes to be. Your focal image is a treasure to behold, your creation would make a superb journal/notebook cover.
    So pleased you shared this @ Creative Artiste and of course for my AJJ October theme. Thank you.. Creative wishes Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh My Elizabeth - this is absolutely fabulous! Gorgeous colours and I always love how you incorporate your sewing to looks though it belongs right there where it is. Sorry to hear you had to backtrack! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  20. a beautiful piece and I love your Lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love all the cool layers on this, Elizabeth. Great image and the lace is fabulous. So interesting and pretty! Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  22. A wonderfully tactile journal page Elizabeth. It's so rich in gorgeous textures and the beautiful print centrepiece, pretty flower and stitching make for fabulous points of interest.
    That's a rather clever idea to dye your textiles with coffee so everything matches. I wonder if it smells as delightful as it looks?
    Thank you for joining in with our October challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are very important to Bleubeard and me. I appreciate it when you care enough to stop by and even more when you leave a short message letting me know you were here.

I don't want to ever turn on comment moderation, so when I find comments that don't relate to my blog content, your comment will immediately be deleted.