Pages

▼

Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Superstition


I find it wonderful when the stars align and I can join my three favorite challenge blogs with a single journal page.

I chose this song, Superstition for Try it on Tuesday's latest challenge, which is Inspired by a Song or Christmas Carol because it fits Yvonne, aka Meggymay's theme Words and Numbers so well at Art Journal Journey. I have used a lot of scraps in this journal page, so I'm also joining Moo-Mania and More whose theme is Use Your Scraps.

Here is the song in its entirety.
Very superstitious, writings on the wall,
Very superstitious, ladders 'bout to fall,
Thirteen-months-old baby broke the lookin' glass
Seven years of bad luck, the good things in your past

When you believe in things
you don't understand,
Then you suffer,
Superstition ain't the way

There are several superstitions Stevie Wonder, who wrote and sang the song (1972), alluded to.

Thirteen is an unlucky number in most Western culture.  In fact, many high rise office buildings and housing units don't designate a 13th floor.

The 13 month old baby is quite unlucky,

because it broke the looking glass (or hand held mirror).

A ladder is another superstition.  You can't walk under a ladder or you will encounter 7 years bad luck, just like you do when you break a mirror.  Actually, walking under a ladder is DANGEROUS, and only stupid people would do that, anyway.

For some reason, black cats are supposed to bring bad luck.

I'll let you peruse these detail shots at your own speed.



I know some people are good at writing in the style of graffiti, but I'm not one of them.  In order to make the wall less naked,  I added a fortune and a scrap left from another page I'm working on. 

I got mad at myself because the washi tape I used started to peel off the image, even after I tried to re-glue it.  Then I realized when you see the posters on walls, they are often hanging askew or torn.  I decided it looked like it had been there for years.







For this journal page, I began with a sheet of 110 lb card stock that I colored with grey ink and 91% alcohol.  Unfortunately I covered over most of it. I used a chalk paint pen and my wall stencil to create the wall on which the ladder leaned and on which the graffiti was written.

The ladder and mirror were found on the internet and the mirror was fussy cut, then added to a scrap of paint chip.  The words to the song were computer generated and colored using a nearly dry green dye ink pad.  The 13 and one 7 were from two different Bingo cards.  Two 7s were stickers, as were all the letters to the title.  The two cats were from address labels my friend Sally didn't want.  The black washi tape is from TH and the white tape was a gift.  The graffiti letters on the wall were made with Crayola crayons.

Bleubeard and I are thrilled that you stopped by today.  We hope you will join us at Art Journal Journey, Try it on Tuesday, and Moo-Mania and More, too. 

28 comments:

  1. My Mum cheekily loved every Friday 13th :-)
    Hm. In Germany the 7 years of bad luck are related to breaking a mirror only, as far as I know.
    And yes, it´s only dangerous and stupid to walk under a ladder, LOL!
    And black cats are cute.
    But I admit, I once had a fortune cookie saying I´ll always be a very healthy person. Ummm... still have that in my purse..
    Yep, that´s inconsistent, but what can I do ;-)
    Love your page, and the explanations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Elizabeth! I like the paint chips you used - they remind me of bricks. I also like your looking glass, and that ladder looks dangerous to be on or under! You did a great job on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun page, strange that there are still so many superstitions in this day and age. Have a great day, Vaerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard these superstition, too ;), but don't believe them.
    Wonderful page. Thanks for tutorial.
    Happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that song quite well from back in the day, and is considered a classic by the great Stevie Wonder. I think he would love the way you've honored his lyrics, and your page is terrific. Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't believe in any bad superstitiousness at all, especially as all the numbers are my happy numbers...hihi... I like positive superstitiousness just thinking in the good direction! And I LOVE your clever page!So much thoughts in it! Happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurrah for nailiing all 3 challenges with this fabulous page. Oh I love this song and how you made this page. I heard it the other day and it is now running through my head. But in a good way. I must say this one is brilliant. It must have taken a while to get everything together. And the good news although not 100%, yesterday I can say I am over the hump with this head cold. Hopefully going back to work won't drag me back down. Smile. Have a super Wednesday. Or hope it was depending on when you read this. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth thank you very much for not just posting this as an AJJ entry but also supporting Try It On Tuesday and Moo Mania & More!
    I forgot to mention that earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  9. fABULOUS and interesting SUPERstitious page

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty cool representation. I like superstition, am glad it got a lot of exposure. Allowing down here, both creating and commenting. It happens at a point in blogland life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your lucky day to hit all 3 challenges with one fun page. My favorite images are the black cats, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great page! and love the black cat too

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love, love, LOVE that song. What a great pick. I could hear it in my head while I was admiring your art. As always, a pleasurable experience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good on you for fulfilling all 3 challenges Elizabeth. Luckily I'm not superstitious. The Chinese consider the number 4 unlucky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wrote you a few minutes ago, to let you know how much I like this. But then I remembered — if a song is not in the public domain, you can't use the lyrics in a public work of your own. I don't know if that applies to art. I know as a writer, I can't use lyrics from a song without permission from the lyricist or publisher of the lyrics. It's very complicated, so I avoid it altogether. (You can use the title, because titles are not copyrighted, only lyrics.) So, I would check this out, Elizabeth, even though I love what you did with the lyrics in your fabulous art work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi E, I sent you an email last Saturday, and today it came back with a notice that it was not possible to deliver it to your mailbox. Are you having problems? It was the translation you asked for. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  17. My favorite superstition is that it's bad luck to leave a home by way of a different door than the one you entered through :) I like your wall :) "When you believe in things
    That you don't understand,
    Then you suffer,
    Superstition aint the way". I remember when that song came out :) Fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Writing on the wall...I LOVE it.
    The piece is purrfect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a so so Gorgeous Art journal page Elizabeth !! A-MA-ZING !! I love the bricks/wall, the mirror, the ladder and the cats. Great tittle, and great text. This is Wonderful!
    I wish you a very nice Thursday, and send big hugs,
    Caty

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stevie Wonder totally rocks ♫♪♫♫♪

    and we always have LIKED the number 13; if it was good enough for Jesus {1} and his apostles {12) it's good enough for me !! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great piece for all three challenges. That happens to be a favorite song of mine so I was tapping my toes as I read through your pages.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow an amazing page to share with the challenges. Of course for me I am thrilled you joined us at Try it on Tuesday and our song theme and it is a fabulous page for the Art Journal Journey theme. I didn't think I had many superstitions until your page got me thinking about a few . like not walking under ladders and saying hello to a new moon something my gran used to do.
    this is a great page to make us think and it is full of interesting details.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't thought about that song in ages and loved it. Nice interpretation. I does look like writing on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so cool. I really like this. Also to get 3 in 1. Pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brilliant! I love how you made the title Elizabeth! xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Alright, a challenge 3-fer! Perfect page for those lyrics! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. A fabulous interpretation of the song Elizabeth, and i love all the details you added. I haven't heard that song in quite a while but think I might be singing it for the rest of the day.
    Thanks for sharing at Try it on Tuesday, Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. You must think me very rude not to have visited and thanked you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday with this clever page. I tried to keep up but have had to admit that I'm so far behind it will take months to catch up ! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are very important to Bleubeard and me. I appreciate it when you care enough to stop by and even more when you leave a short message letting me know you were here.

I don't want to ever turn on comment moderation, so when I find comments that don't relate to my blog content, your comment will immediately be deleted.