Pages

▼

Thursday, November 28, 2019

Happy Thanksgiving in the USA


I'm once again joining Rike at Rike's Art our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  By now, I'm sure you know Rike's theme is Fruit and Veggies. 

I'm also celebrating Thanksgiving,

a federal holiday in the United States, celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. 

The pumpkins, cut and colored using water soluble crayons, are my veggie of choice for Rike's theme.

According to History.com:
In 1621, the Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Indians shared an autumn harvest feast that is acknowledged today as one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations in the colonies. For more than two centuries, days of thanksgiving were celebrated by individual colonies and states. It wasn’t until 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, that President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national Thanksgiving Day to be held each November.
For this spread in my Challenges altered book, I began by laying down a sheet of gold paisley tissue paper.  I was hoping to cover over the graphs more than the words, but the graphs still showed through quite clearly, as will happen with tissue paper.  That's when I decided to extend the pumpkins I planned to use on the right side of the page to the left side.  When I was satisfied with the arrangement, I glued the pumpkins in place using a glue stick.  For the right side, I found this cute image of a girl and her pumpkin, who looked like she might have been at the first Thanksgiving.  Two more pumpkins were cut and added at the base of the image.

Thanks for joining me today at AEDM and Art Journal Journey.  If you live in the United States, I want to wish you a blessed (and safe) Thanksgiving.  If you live anywhere else in the world, I wish you a wonderful Thursday.

This is Day 28 of Art Every Day Month (AEDM), hosted by Leah Piken Kolidas
and I created a spread in my altered book for Art Journal Journey.


28 comments:

  1. Beautiful page, weee, guess Ingo will head for the market on Saturday again to get a piece of pumpkin!
    Whilst you give thanks we sadly do not, but farmers went to Berlin to show what bad working conditions they have to endure...

    Enjoy your feast, it´s the right thing to do to give thanks and nice to be able to do it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely page and although we don't celebrate thanksgiving here down under, have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous spread in your journal Elizabeth, I always love pumpkins. We all have so much to be thankful for, so it's a good thing to celebrate. Have a wonderful day. No celebrations here, just the usual routines and art group this afternoon. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving Elizabeth! I love your gorgeous spread with that wonderful tissue background!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely page Elizabeth - it makes me wish I had some roast pumpkin or pumpkin soup now :)
    Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving.. hope you have a lovely day.
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving, Elisabeth!
    I would really love to have something similar over here, but I can still celebrate with you all. Great pumpkins. We see so few over here. Just some for the kids in the local supermarket.
    Enjoy your day.
    Cath x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving Elizabeth, I love those ripe looking pumpkins. I'm not sure I could cope with Thanksgiving and Christmas so close having Hubby's & my Mother in Laws Birthdays either side of Christmas day it's a hard task to accommodate as it is.. but I love hearing and seeing how everyone celebrates and enjoys their day. Wonderful feeling of the season..
    Wishing you a very Happy day Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pages! Happy Thanksgiving. Have seen you deleted me as admin already at AJJ.
    Well done, even though I was a bit confused as it is still a to my IP connected blog, you should definitely change the impressum according to rights.
    Big hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful journal page Elizabeth Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely and totally timely. Enjoy your quiet, peaceful day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving!
    I like all the beautiful pumpkins, cut and colored using water soluble crayons! And your background is stunning - with this sheet of gold paisley tissue paper! I did not see the graphs until you mentioned them.
    This girl is lovely, that's true!
    Thank you for another wonderful entry to my theme at AJJ!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely Thanksgiving greeting. Happy Thanksgiving to you and the boys. I hope you're electricity is up and running with no hiccups.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fabulous journal spread and yes we must have been both thinking of pumpkins today. I love how you fussy cut and coloured yours . The little girl in her vintage style dress is so sweet, I think she must be hoping she will get a pie today.
    I hope you have a lovely day today.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really pretty. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely seasonal art :) Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a great job with your spread for the challenge. I like that piece of tissue paper. Always on the lookout for things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is absolutely wonderful, a delight :)
    Sending lots of Happy Thanksgiving Wishes to you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a darling little girl!
    Happy Thanksgiving, Elizabeth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that paisley tissue paper, makes such a great background for those pretty pumpkins. Happy Turkey Elizabeth. I ate too much haha. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Thanksgiving, Elizabeth. I think you are right , your little girl looks like she could have been at the first Thanksgiving. Your journal pages are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you had a wonderful day and I'm loving your pages 😀. The vintage image of the little girl looks so beautiful with all the pumpkins surrounding her - perfect 😁. Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful artwork Elizabeth. I hope you're feeling better. Happy (belated) Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely page, Elizabeth. You're right, we sure did see a ton of pumpkins this month with Rike's fruits and veggies theme. I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving. I gave thanks for you and the rest of the T-ladies. 😉 Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope you had a super Thanksgiving Elizabeth. I love this cool vintage pumpkin page. I like all the pumpkins. And that cool tissue paper which is really pretty and gives it a nice bit of detail. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  25. your page is really nice, and we're off to the Christmas season now! Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like this page very much, Elizabeth. And I hope your Thanksgiving was as lovely as this piece of art is. Quite beautiful and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fabulous spread Elizabeth! Sorry not to get here sooner! At least now I know what a super Thanksgiving meal you had! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are very important to Bleubeard and me. I appreciate it when you care enough to stop by and even more when you leave a short message letting me know you were here.

I don't want to ever turn on comment moderation, so when I find comments that don't relate to my blog content, your comment will immediately be deleted.