Pages

▼

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Make a new friend


It's time once again to join Erika at Bio Art Gal this month's host at Art Journal Journey with her theme New Year, New Adventures. I'm also joining Moo Mania & More with their theme Welcome Somebody / Something / The New Year.

I just finished this page after talking on the phone to my tween and teen friends who moved to California with their aunt last summer.  For those of you new to my blog, their mother died of cancer and left me in charge of them until their aunt could arrive to take over their care.

Both tweens seemed quite happy they had been welcomed by their new school,

but the teen was having trouble adjusting. 

The teen's aunt is doing everything she can to make this transition better for the teen, but I fear the teen misses the mother more than the tweens seem to.  I suggested to try to make at least one new friend this year, and that is what prompted this page.  I hope someone will try to make this lost teen feel welcome.

I began by laying down paint in my large art journal.  When dry, I added washi tape around the outside edges, something Erika said she had started to do.  I found this image in a book I bought at the library, then added the computer generated text that I colored using dye ink.

Thanks for joining me today at Art Journal Journey and Moo Mania & More.  And thanks for your visit and continued support of my art.  I am very grateful to each of you.  And if the children happen to see this, I think they will be grateful for the support you, my friends, readers, and followers, give too!

19 comments:

  1. Wonderful journal page. Sorry those youngsters are still having problems settling down, and hope that they all soon feel well in their new environment.Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine how this teen feels - what a loss and all the changes in life in addition. Hopefully your wish on this wonderful page for the teen come true!
    ♥♥♥
    Beautiful done dear Elizabeth!
    An fantastic page for AJJ and MM&M.THANK Y♥U!
    Fingers crossed for the teen and for the pipes - I am busy with cooking as we have a Holiday here today and some guests are coming.
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great positive page! I do hope that the teen finds a real friend but it's still early days to stop grieving, especially as this has been the first Christmas without their mother! Hoping that they all find it easier as time passes. I'm sure they must find talking to you a comfort! Hugs,Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful idea to make this journal page to make wishes come true! I too hope someone will try to make this lost teen feel welcome.
    Rike x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful page, and an even better message to make a new friend. That's important for adults, but just as important for young people. I've worked in group homes and seen some traumatic things with teenagers that included a parent actually selling her daughter to get crack. The young girl pretended to be tough, but on the inside she was hurting and exhibiting damaging behavior. I hope that the tweens and teens will be okay and find their niche. I suspect the teen is having a more difficult time because she was older when she lost her mom, and spent the most time with her. As always, you always discuss many great things for us to think about and focus on. I hope your Saturday is filled with lots of warmth and joy. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your page is beautiful and the thought behind it even more so. I feel for the teen, well for all of them actually, but particularly this one who is having trouble adjusting. You are wise with the friend thing. Maybe the school isn't the easiest but there might be ways to find friends in a broader environment -- finding an activity to love and volunteering. Hospitals sometimes have teen volunteers or perhaps by taking a "hobby class" outside of school or something, anything to broaden the circle and at least find a spot where there is both a passion and possibility for friendship.

    I loved your comment on my book post. No kindle here, either. Maybe if I get really bad vision and have to have adjustable print -- I hope that isn't for many moons to come! I really don't want one more device!I'm excited that a new season of Victoria begins tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some kids just have a hard time with new situations. Just moving classes within the same school can be stressful for those kids. IT has to be hard on them. They are lucky to have an aunt willing to take them in, because it is probably a big adjustment for ehr also. So I do love your page. Those vintage kids are always a good choice. Do you get them from an old book and look them up online. And I really adore the periodic table tape. I've got find me some of that. Hee-hee. Hope you have a great Saturday. Super cold here. Wind whipping. I didn't sleep well so I really just want to go back to bed right now but should try to do a little something. Hugs-Erika Oh and thanks for joining in to AJJ again! Much much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful page, and thank you for sharing the story behind it. I’m glad you are keeping in touch with the kids - they need that connection to ‘before’ their tragic loss. I hope the older one does make at least one friend this year - that should help with the adjustment. They need to know that it’s ok to find something enjoyable in life - they will always miss their mom, but those things aren’t mutually exclusive. Changing schools can be hard at the best of times, never mind you add in the loss of a parent, a cross country move and puberty! My goodness - I wish this young person all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a lovely page, I hope too the teen can find a new friend so tough for them to adjust to everything new

    ReplyDelete
  10. This page is fantastique Elizabeth !!Really wonderful !, I´m so sad for the kids lost, but also happy because their aunt can give them a new house. Children are very strong, and I´m sure they will be adapted very soon to this big change.
    I wish the best for them.
    Have a very nice Sunday, hugs & kisses

    ReplyDelete
  11. People grieve in different ways, and some people adapt better to relocation than others, and not everybody makes friends easily. I'm glad they are together and living with family, and I'm glad you're still in touch. I can't imagine what they're going through. I hope things get better for them over time. A new friend would definitely help, and I think that's great advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a beautiful, moving journal page, especially knowing the back story.
    The kids must really appreciate having you in their lives and your connection to their mom was very special,I'm sure they will never forget that, as they get older.
    Friendship is one that can overcome many situations, we should all reach out the hand of friendship.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. teen years such hard years> Must be so hard without a mom. I do hope the teen can find a kindred spirit

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I hope the teen can make a friend or at least find someone she can talk to. Terrible loss and no two people react the same. Great page.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful and thoughtful page, Elizabeth. It's so good that they want to stay connected with you since they moved so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My heart goes out to the teen, it must be such a difficult time and adjustment to make. You have created such a lovely tribute and wish for them! I'm wishing for a new friend and much happiness to find them and give them peace 😁. Have a great day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww! That's so sweet! I really hope your teen friend makes a new friend this year. It's so hard to be a teenager. I can remember... and I have three daughters. It's a beautiful page and sentiment. Lovely artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely page.
    I hope your intentions come true for your young friends.
    I hope they are getting some counseling to help with their loss.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a beautiful page with rich jewel colours and shows the blossoming of friendship which is so hard at any age but especially when one is a teen. It is tough but I wonder if they would like to engage in the old art of actual art of letter writing??

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are very important to Bleubeard and me. I appreciate it when you care enough to stop by and even more when you leave a short message letting me know you were here.

I don't want to ever turn on comment moderation, so when I find comments that don't relate to my blog content, your comment will immediately be deleted.