Pages

▼

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

WOYWW (What's on your workspace Wednesday)

I was so excited about WOYWW that I nearly didn't sleep. Last week I visited all 81 sites, including Julia Dunnit, our host. Stop by and say hi, then visit all these other wonderful artists who let you nose around their work spaces. You'll have a ton of fun.

Before I begin: all you WOYWW participants, I will be out of the house today, so don't know how many of you I'll visit before I have to leave around 9 am (my time), and since tomorrow is my bEARTHday, I'll be celebrating and out of the house. If you are far down on the list, it might take me till the weekend, but I promise to visit everyone.


This is what I awoke to this morning when I stumbled into my main floor craft studio around 3:15 am (did I mention I hardly slept?).


I was not fully awake when I took this photo. Projects include (on the dresser under the window) drying some flowers in my handmade (phone book and paper towels) press sitting under the tape dispenser. That desk serves as my mailing center and I have all my mailing supplies within handy reach.

On the table are projects I have recently completed or am still working on.


This is the piece I've worked on (well, more OFF than ON) since April 10, when I started it as a gift for my friend's April 11 birthday. It is now finished except for knocking some of the shine off those embellishments at the top. I'll use a dark rub-n-buff to get the patina I want.

For those of you who don't know about the above piece, it is made from a KFC dinner lid covered with dress pattern tissue, then layered with painted corrugated cardboard, cheesecloth, an image, sheet music, and the definition of birthday. To complete the piece and hide the protrusion at the top, I added two gold covered ornaments Kathy gave me. She'll get a kick out of the fact I used them in her gift! It's an Earth Day special.


Here's a lousy photo of the book I made and demoed on Monday. To see the tutorial of how I made it, click here.


This is a better picture from this morning,

This is the best photo of all, but I didn't take it this morning. It belongs with Monday's tut. Again, all recycled materials.


The circle is a piece of plastic with a hand drawn tea cup glued on that I demoed yesterday. The object is to make a stencil.

For those of you who were here yesterday, I glued the drawing to the lid. You can see where I marked the "hump" and show where it will be part of the design to be removed. Since I have no tools out, it means I'm probably not going to be working on it much before next Tuesday.
This is my only pending project. Definitely recycled material for a recycled project.


Right before I got out the rub-n-buff to tone down those things at the top, I took one final photo. Then I applied copper, black, and green rub-n-buff all over the embellishments on top. After that, it was gift wrapped and ready for Kathy.


I have done nothing in my sewing area for most of this month. I have been busy ripping fabric apart from clothes I bought at the thrift store, creating green crafts, and working on that copper book. So this area really is in the dark right now!

Since I had already chosen my blog of the day last week, I am honoring Julia Dunnit as my blog choice of the day, today. Julia works hard at her job of being a good hostess to WOYWW. She is not only sweet, kind, and makes you feel welcome as soon as you write her, she is also a great rubber stamper. I have to admit, when someone told me about this a few months ago, most of the people on WOYWW seem to be rubber stampers and scrapbookers. I didn't feel like I would fit in. But last week, I found more and more artists who are working on mixed media projects and Julia makes everyone feel right at home, no matter what medium you work in . Those of you coming from WOYWW already know Julia. The rest of you, my dear readers, should visit her site and see what this whole thing is all about. She welcomed me with open arms. I bet she would you, too!

52 comments:

  1. Interesting projects!

    ** Kate **

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your finished collage for Kathy, Elizabeth!! I love that you're so organized too! You're my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday in advance. Hope you'll share your day with us tomorrow.

    You definitely are organized!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy B-EARTH-DAY :0) Fab look round your stash ... so much to see ... and this whole WOYWW thing is great fun is n't it??? Not fitting in indeed ... you don't even have to be crafty ... the only qualification is pure nosiness *LOL*
    Have a super day X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your creations- How did you find the time, and visit 81 sites too!!! wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS- did you etch the word "heart" or do you have a stamp/embosser?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy B"earth"day for tomorrow - have a great day - sounds like you're quite a busy bee... some great projects here and love the heart.

    Paula x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy birthday!!!! have a lovely day out and about! I am in awwwww at your work, amazingly beautiful!

    hugs mandyxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some really fab projects here. Happy B'earth'day for tomorrow.
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Better rest up for your bEARTHday Ms E!
    How did I miss that it's on Earth Day, very fitting indeed!
    Enjoy * Enjoy your birthday/month/year ... I realize I am a day early ;)
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Elizabeth,

    I've been under the weather the past few weeks so I haven't had a chance to stop by, but I wanted to thank you for all of the wonderful comments you've left that have put a smile on my face!

    I love your current project and am amazed that you created it out of a KFC lid! How fitting for Earth Day! :-)

    Have a wonderful birthday and give your beautiful Bluebeard a hug for me!

    Hugs
    Ramona
    http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your creations are lovely. Hope you have a great birthday

    ReplyDelete
  13. At first glance I thought the tray had your Bearthday cake in it, that's until I got a closer look.
    Love the copper book, fabulous.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting project. If I got up so early I wouldn't be able to focus for the whole day. Hugs Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a fabby day whatever you get up to, love your projects, and i'm sure your friend wont mind the wait, you cant rush a piece made from the heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the tutorial will come again to read more carefully...like how this is turning /turned out.
    Lovely art here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL... of course you fit right in!! You are just as nosey as we all are!! Love the project on the desk, its beautiful and I love recycled stuff, your friend is very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I saw it was a KFC lid I remembered, you're the Goddess of Recycling ;) wonderful project. I've just been browing your 'labels' so will have to become a follower as there are loads of things I want to check out ;)
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, you were up early. For us it was a very worthwhile photo shoot! Your work area is lovely - I love the seperate desk concept, and I hope Kathy oves the gift - it's totally amazing - now that sort of thing I wouldn't be too scared to try.....see how WOYWW is such a cross inspirer! And thanks for featuring my blog; I'd invite you to read some non WOYWW post but warn you that they truly illustrate my capacity for opinion and blather!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your book looks lovely, I love your craft room you have so much going on in there! I hope you have a fantastic day tomorrow! Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  21. The first couple of weeks I WOYWW'd I couldn't sleep either... great look round your place. Have a great day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think your kind of creation is SO clever!I love those projects which end up looking as though they were made in Granny's day.
    Great craft space too!I enjoyed my snoop, thanks.
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the KFC Project I know she will love it loads (I do) and so many other things to see as well

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Holy Moly! You've been busy! Love your cat :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hiya

    your creations are gorgeous!!! great craft area

    Joeyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow gorgeous projects.

    Hugs
    Penni
    X

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really interesting and beautiful projects :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Had to reread it was a KFC lid!
    Linbyx

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is so wonderful to see all of your amazing projects going- I hope you get some sleep though! The big day is coming up and I want to thank you for your wonderful inspiration to recycle (KFC lids!) in our art and life in general . You are a true steward of the green movement. May we all take time to honor our beautiful home 'earth' tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Can't believe you got up at 3:15am! That sucks! Lovely projects though.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy B"earth"day and what lovely projects.!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow very interesting projects!
    Cardarian

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are quite right, all types of crafters are welcome at WOYWW - we are learning that there is more and more to learn. Thanks for sharing, great crafting. ikki

    ReplyDelete
  34. ohoooo there's sooo much going on, where do I start! and yes, there's all sorts on here, there's even me...you have been bussy and I willhave a go at what you do, just haven't yet, but I will!!
    (lyn))

    ReplyDelete
  35. sorry about bad spelling!! So many of us to visit!! and I for got to wish you happy B'earthday!! and yes, I'm very lucky to have my lovely hubby, It was our anniversary late week (I blogged about it) he doesn't only mind my mess, he even cooks! But I must say, he did ask what colour the carpet was today, as he hadn't seen it all week...(cheeky!)

    ReplyDelete
  36. WOW...... you go girl. Happy B'earthday! Thanks for the spelling of "xanadu" - finally got that ATC done! Take care, my friend, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the copper book. When you got that block I never thought you'd be able to make a book with it! You constantly amaze me with your imagination. Love, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love seeing what everyone creates no matter what their craft ...it also adds to the experience and inspiration one gains

    ReplyDelete
  39. WOW - your projects have so much work in them.
    thanks for visiting my workdesk
    Regards, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  40. happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you!
    I love that recycled lid piece, it is amazing..........

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh hope you are sleeping like a baby after such a busy and exciting day! Your copper book is outstanding. Thanks for the tour and enjoyed your KFC story!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Happy birthday. Love all those different projects going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Liz, Happy bEARTHday! I'll never be awake at 11:30! Its 2:30 now. Richard cleaned that toilet! see ya, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  44. Happy bEARTHday! Lovely to see a mixed media and recycling WOYWWer!! Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Happy bEARTHday! I love your handmade press! Mine consists of a REALLY thick daily art masters calendar from a couple of years ago that I haven't had the heart to up yet, plus some river stones that I keep lined up on my desk....ah the pleasure of finding alternate uses for things.....Hope you have a great time celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  46. My own style is not a bit like yours and although I am interested in the idea of making books I love what I do so much that I will stick to marvelling at yours. Thanks for dropping in -you are very dedicated-WOYWW visiting everyone. Will look forward to glimpsing that beautiful pusscat in your pictures. Love Betty

    ReplyDelete
  47. wow, what an amazing project and so green too, very impressive! happy belated bearthday! hugs debx

    ReplyDelete
  48. Brilliant recycling & such a beautiful gift for your friend! x

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oooh everything looks inspiring. :) Hope you had a great B'day. Sorry I'm calling so late! Enjoy your weekend. Gez.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love your art!! What talent!! I have been going through our lovely woyww participants. I have loved visiting each one. Thank you for the warm welcome! I too am making sure I stop by, but like you have to visit a few each day. I subscribed to your blog, and know I will enjoy visiting you regularly!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are very important to Bleubeard and me. I appreciate it when you care enough to stop by and even more when you leave a short message letting me know you were here.

I don't want to ever turn on comment moderation, so when I find comments that don't relate to my blog content, your comment will immediately be deleted.