Pages

▼

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What's on your worktable Wednesday: Revisiting buttons

I decided to play along on What's On Your Worktable Wednesday or WOYWW this week which is hosted by Julia, one of the sweetest people ever. Her private e-mails to me were simply adorable and I knew I'd feel right at home participating. I've considered it for the past two weeks, but the timing was wrong. Since my tutorial has now been postponed until Friday, I had the chance to play. There are about a gazillion or so other players (OK, I exaggerated, it was only 80 last week), so please visit their work spaces when you have the time.

The idea of WOYWW is to show what's on your worktable each Wednesday morning, and since once again I'm featuring recycled materials (have I mentioned Earth Day is turning 40 this year? OK, have I mentioned it lately?), it is only fair that I have an eco-friendly project going on my worktable.



I recently wrote a review on Terry Taylor's book "Button Button." If you recall, I wasn't too impressed with the book. Most of the projects were "crafty," not up to the style I often associate with Terry Taylor. This was on my worktable a few days/weeks ago.

About the time I wrote the review about Taylor's book, I found this book on buttons at a different library. The Button Craft Book was written by Dawn Cusick (Sterling Publishing, 1995).

The book begins with various button collectors showing their favorite buttons.

Here are some examples, taken from pages 14 and 15. If the photos look a bit hard to see, so are the words, which are written ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS and gray, not black, text. Select quotes are in bold black letters.


The author had it really easy. All she had to do was collect projects and quotes. She didn't even have to edit anything, since all the words were quoted by whatever artist was featured on that page.


I enjoyed and was inspired by two projects in particular.


Pages 78 and 79 had broaches and jewelry I found fascinating. I was particularly taken by the jewelry on page 79 and got inspired by the projects on that page.


Can you possibly imagine how many buttons you would need to make the necklace displayed on the left in this picture? Each necklace (page 76) begins with a crocheted chain. There are around 350 buttons on the one shown on the left.


The other project that piqued my interest was the one displayed on the left, page 58 in the book. It was paper buttons. Layers of paper are soaked in a combination of beeswax and paraffin, removed and allowed to cool. To get rid of the raw, frayed edges, the artist held the buttons under a Bunsen burner.

Although the author only collected the projects, I enjoyed reading this book. The projects were much different from the craft book written by Terry Taylor. Not only did I learn how to make beautiful custom made buttons that were works of art on their own, I was also inspired by several lovely projects in the book. This also was on my worktable several days ago.

So where, you ask, is the post about what is on your worktable today?


While the ideas that swirled through my head from the above book were still fresh, I got out my buttons and decided to make a broach (or is it brooch?) or two of my own. After all, buttons are the ultimate recycled material. So that is what you see on my worktable this Wednesday morning.


While looking for watch faces, which I never found, I came across these mirrors, ravaged by the flood I had last year. I probably should have trashed them back then, but they were OK except for the fact they were badly pitted and scarred from sitting in water for several days. I had a total of four mirrors to play with. I began by auditioning my various clock hands to see which ones fit best.


Next I got out my buttons to see which ones looked the best with the hands I chose.


Before I glued anything in place (using E6000), I did a dry run. Every time I moved one button, they all shifted. This was really frustrating, so I decided to glue the hands and center button in place before I proceeded. That allowed me a bit more freedom to play with the designs.


Here are my finished pieces before the pin backs go on. The third, made solely from buttons, is still in the design phase. I really like how these turned out, but I will probably add some really tiny black buttons as filler to the broach on the right. I think it needs something more because there are too many open spaces. Overall, I was very happy with the outcome of this project, although I was limited by the color, style, and size of the buttons I had to play with. I hope (that's a big word) to use the other two mirrors as the backdrop for steampunk inspired pins. So that's what was on my worktable today and my first ever WOYWW post.

My blog pick of the day came by way of Chriss R, a fellow Tea Tuesday participant. I saw where she wished Chris of Bling-Kin-Eck, a frequent commenter on my blog, a happy birthday today. I got confused because it was already tomorrow in England (the UK) when I wished Chris a happy birthday. I thought I was late, but was right on time. It may be Chris's birthday, but she's got lots of presents for visitors to her blog in the form of stamping, color, stamping, shrines, stamping, tags, stamping, handmade cards, stamping, arches, stamping, and she's a member of Dress Up 2010, hosted by Margaret. BTW, did I mention she's a stamper? So if you've never been to her blog, go check out her art. If you know her art, go wish her a Happy Happy Birthday!

49 comments:

  1. I love these brooches, and I like that idea to show what's on your work table, but knowing me I would set the stage for some elaborate WIP for the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! These brooches are very kewl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry to hear ou were flooded but one postitive outcome was those mirrors they are fab

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some really fab stuff going on on your desk.
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool a WOYWW is that - the most comprehensive I'd say! See I love your brooches,would be scared to death to make my own - but would rather use buttons in the paper craft style of the Button Button book. Which just goes to show how subjective everything is! On the other hand - I'd buy my weight in buttons if someone wants to make the necklace for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, Elizabeth! Buttons ARE the ultimate recycled material, and they're a ton of fun too. Love the way you've used the recycled mirror as a base for your brooches. They're beautiful! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the brooches and your button book, I love posh buttons I have lots you have just inspired me to get them out and use them !! thanks
    And thanks for visiting my desk
    Hugs Susie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the button book and your brooches look fantastic! Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't get enough about buttons. I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't see the final picture, but I bet they look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love what you've done with those buttons

    ReplyDelete
  12. those books look interesting!!!! i like your brooches too - very cute. welcome to WOYWW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow - some fabby materials here and buttons - they're not like they used to be are they???

    Paula x x x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Buttons too! What your working on looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like fun! Buttons are so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to hear you were flooded.

    Your project looks wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great blog - I love buttons and your little brooches are so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hiya

    ooooh I love your brooches

    Joey.x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely brooches - really great blog.x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your review of the book hun and was delighted to see you making your own brooches to share with us... love them...really clever :D

    Thanks sooooo much for the Birthday wishes and for mentioning my art in such a wonderfully positive way.... Thank you... thank you.... thank you. What a wonderful lady you are!!

    hugs
    Chris xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I shall now get my button tin out and do something with them!
    (Lyn)

    ReplyDelete
  22. These brooches are brilliant- aren't buttons the best!! Juliexx

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW! interesting way to use buttons.
    thanks for visiting my desk
    Cathy, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love buttons....I always hope to find them at a garage sale or swap meet...I know people do, I just havent been that lucky yet! your jewelry is beautiful....I wouldnt even dare to show my worktable today.....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for visiting my desk. Love your brooches and the books look interesting.
    Linbyx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi and welcome isnt it great havin a nosey around everyone's desk, you find great inspiration, and I def found some here, love the brooches great idea with the clock hands, I love visiting Chris as well she a very talented lady, love her art work, your cat is just adorable, off now to have a nosey round the rest of your blog, god arent I nosey.
    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love nosing around because I come across crafts and ways to use things that I've never come across before ....like your button broaches ...what fun. I am also just nosey lol but it all now takes me a couple of days to get round .
    Welcome to the 'club'...cant believe how many follow now .... 45 weeks on

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh I LOVE your brooches and the way you led us through the process from inspiration to culmination! And they are absolutely beautiful- I wish I could buy one....When are you gonna get around to that necklace? Seriously, I hope you do one, because I think it would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love buttons, old and new and making something like your lovely brooches is great use of them
    I just visited a vintage shop and bought the most gorgeous glass buttons on original cards...I fear they may never make it off the cards ... for now I will just enjoy looking at them, happy that I got to "rescue" a card or three ;)
    I am coming back later to read your latest interview, I need time to sit quietly and take it all in ... must now fly out the door for tea!
    Happy Thursday E!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooh very interesting workdesk!! Love what you've done with the buttons, and the book review!!
    Thanks for popping over to my very late WOYWW!!

    Esme xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great first post Elizabeth and don't worry about how long it takes you to get round to everyone, takes me days sometimes!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sorry I am a day late...just takes me ages to get through everyone! I love your brooches they are Brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, very interesting and I learned some more new stuff, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. fabulous broaches. I'm really impressed. Lovely to see you at WOYWW

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fab brooches, I love buttons. Bleubeard is gorgeous too.

    Hugs
    Penni
    X

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gorgeous stuff. Can't wait to read more. And thank you so much for stopping by my blog. It was lovely to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great post and great project! Also enjoyed reading your interview with the Surf Bunny. I am an avid recycler -- and my family is "afraid" to throw anything away without "approval."

    ReplyDelete
  38. fab fab brooches, and welcome to the addictive world of the woyww'er, you'll be back next week for sure lol

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. As you may notice on your next post, I've been having huge probs with my PC which is why I'm only just visiting now.
    Love your projects :)
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love your brooches and that button book - I must find it! Very interesting post!
    Cardarian

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanx for managing to get back to my blog hun. I am very impressed by your new creations Just shows you , don't throw anything away lol. Lovely to stop by and have a nosey looks like lots of others did too so a very warm welcome, has been given I may start doing this every week lol

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Loved the books on buttons. Thanks for the peeks into your books. What a great idea for recycling the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  43. such wonderful magazines and great inspiration pieces as well!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow I love those broochess, it's so good when you're inspired to come with something so original x x

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you for visiting my blog - and thank you for sharing yours on WOYWW - what a treat to wander through your photos and crafting - an absolute joy!
    I'll be back again for more...

    ReplyDelete
  46. I was wanting to know how to age and distress mirrors! sorry about your flood xx

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are very important to Bleubeard and me. I appreciate it when you care enough to stop by and even more when you leave a short message letting me know you were here.

I don't want to ever turn on comment moderation, so when I find comments that don't relate to my blog content, your comment will immediately be deleted.