Saturday, October 31, 2020

Stacked


This will be my final entry at Art Journal Journey using Chris of Pear Shaped Crafting's theme Hold the Line.  I want to thank Chris for all the hard work she has done this month as both hostess and new co-administrator.  You are a jewel, dear Chris and we are all so happy you are now part of the Art Journal Journey family.

This is a true cut and paste entry I call Stacked.

I even did a bit of sewing.

I considered using two stacks of books, but fussy cutting and pasting one set was enough for me.

I even added some sticker letters, something I haven't done in a long time.

And of course, in order for there to be cohesion, I did more sewing of the final sentiment.


For this page, I began with 110 lb cardstock, which I colored using blue staz-on and 91% isopropyl alcohol.  When dry, the color was so subtle, I wasn't sure anyone would even be able to see it.  I fussy cut the woman from a magazine.  She had a large brimmed hat sitting on her head that I removed in order to add the fussy cut books.  I fiddled for quite some time getting the books just right on her head.  I realized the image looked odd, so I scanned the completed assembly.  It looked SO much better, I printed it using the colored cardstock I fed through my laser printer.  This is the closest I'll get to a digital or hybrid page, I fear.

I'm so very grateful you stopping by today.  Please also join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey.   My thanks go out again to Chris, who was not only a great host, but will also be an invaluable co-administrator.

While you're here, 

I thought I would show you what my yard looked like on Tuesday evening.  It started snowing overnight on Sunday and had moved out of Wichita by Monday morning.


My neighbors across the street normally have electricity when I don't have.  However, you can see even their houses are dark.  The transformer took out the entire neighborhood, not just my side of the street this time. I wish I'd taken photos of the ice when the snow started to melt, then refroze, but these photos were taken from inside my home through my glass storm door.  It was too cold and windy to venture outside, especially when I had no heat.   
 
As an aside, I have NO idea why I can't get these last three photos and words to left align.

Finally, happy Halloween to those of you who celebrate it.

22 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

oh brr!!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page, but it looks sooooooooooooo cold. Poor you, what a shock to have snow. Here it's just plain grey again. Have a good and safe day, hugs, Valerie

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

That must have been a lovely surprise to wake up to, I do love the snow. Your lady is holding those books with ease, must be so good for our posture!
Chris did a grand job with her hold the line theme, wish i'd had time to catch up with them all.
Happy Halloween Hugs Tracey x

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful and interesting and oh love that snow. xx

RO said...

You already know that I'm loving that picture of the snow, but the loss of electricity for anyone has to be the pits when it gets cold like that for sure. I can sure relate to stacks and stacks of books here at the house and in storage. Can't help myself!(lol) Happy Saturday and sending you lots of hugs! Thanks for the awesome pics too! RO

Trillian As said...

Oh, you have already some snow? Here the temperatures are still very high.
Your journal page is very brave ;-). How high can she stack them?

Iris Flavia said...

And here I am feeling odd when taking a "paper-book" into public to read... People glued to their devices giving me "the look" and I think, hey, if electricity etc goes down I still can open my mind with this! Good entry, but eeeeek, snow and no electricity?! And... snow???? Eeeek.

In blogger you should have a button with three horizontal dots to the right, click there and you find the align buttons (at least in my version the last time (now) I checked).

Jeanie said...

Wow. Even we don't have snow here in the north(which is fine with me). That's pretty beautiful -- so long as it is your yard, not mine! And I like the page very much.

On the comment you put on my blog -- I don't have an answer for your question. I haven't noticed that happening to me but I haven't clicked on many links like that of late. And if it is happening to others, it may be more likely to be a glitch rather than a hack -- but you can't be too careful. Try https://www.kimsixbloggersupport.com/ Also, Linda Primmer at Lifeandlinda.blogspot.com (I think) may be able to help. Good luck -- let me know how it goes!

CJ Kennedy said...

Nice page and sentiment. I'll show you my yard tomorrow

Words and Pictures said...

Love those stacked books - it's a great image, and the stitching detail around the words is a lovely touch.

Hope you're not too chilly with that snow - it's just wet and grey here again today. At least it's not remotely tempting to anyone who thinks they want to go trick or treating and spread infection!!

Thanks for your lovely comment... funny thing is, I'm really not that in to Halloween as a festival. But I do love a good ghost story, or something that sets the spine tingling, and I suppose that comes out at this time of year.
Alison x

Karen said...

Terrific page! I understand now that you scanned it and that's why it looks so perfectly flat ~ Great fussy cutting. I'm not ready to see snow! Wow ~ brrrr
and no electricity...no wonder I live in Virginia where it's 57 degrees and I consider that cold enough to wear a jacket :) Stay warm and keep crafting ~ Happy Halloween!

Barbara said...

Lovely snow, creative line images! Finally stopped raining here,sunny but colder this Halloween. Boo!

Sandra Cox said...

OMG. You had snow and no electricity? Yikes.
Loved the piece!
Have a lovely weekend, my friend. Stay warm.

Cindy McMath said...

This is great! I can’t believe you’ve had snow already and no power - not a great combo! Thanks for visiting me - I have been “snowed under” with work (only figuratively thank goodness). Xo. I’m going to try to start catching up this weekend.

Eileen Bergen said...

Your electrical service has been worse than what we get here! That's ridiculous. We used to have power outages lasting up to 3 days eight or nine times a year. Things have improved a lot in this developing country. I can't believe we leapfrogged KS. Snow, ice and no electricity - that's an awful combination!

Another clever page, Elizabeth. It sounds like it took quite a while to make. Hugs, Eileen

Divers and Sundry said...

I wish your electricity was more reliable :( It's 65 and sunny here, and we may never see snow again lol I'll enjoy your lovely scenes :)

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous page! I loved how you created this, I'm not sure I'd be smiling like the lady though as those book will be heavy (grin!). Wow, it looks cold with all that snow and probably not so good when the electric goes off too - brrrr 😀. I wouldn't have thought it was usual for it to snow where you are? Hope you stayed warm enough and wishing you a happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

DVArtist said...

Hey nice piece. Reminds me of when I was in etiquette class. Oh no snow. It looks pretty from afar. LOL Happy Samhain and enjoy your evening.

Lowcarb team member said...

Oh NO! You had snow and no electricity! Not good.
Hope all is well now.

Happy Halloween and weekend wishes.

All the best Jan

My name is Erika. said...

You had snow before us this year. We had flurries on FRiday, but luckily nothing accumulated. Yet my daughter in the other side of the state got 2 inches and south of us they got about 5-6 inches. I like your piece today for Chris' challenge. It is lots of fun. Can you image how heavy all those books are on your head? Hope your weekend is going well. Hugs-Erika

Rita said...

You guys seem to have regular outages. Bummer.
Seems to be early snow all over! :)

nwilliams6 said...

The book stack is sooooo fun. Love the snow pictures! Fun post. Hugz