Monday, October 19, 2020

Out and about part 2


Since I have a few hours between Monday Murals and T Time, I thought I would share the last of the photos from my trip with my friend Scott to Fort Scott, Kansas.  If you missed part 1, you can view it here.

As I mentioned last time, we are now in the Flint Hills of far eastern Kansas.

The Flint Hills, so named for their bands of limestone and flint, are the largest remnants of tallgrass prairie on the continent.

Native bluestem grasses can be seen along these highways. 


Native bluestem grasses can grow 8 feet high.

A lot of the land along the Flint Hills National Scenic Byway looks as it did when the Kaw, Osage, Pawnee and Wichita tribes lived in this area.

Of course, you can't be on the main highway

if you want to see the tallgrasses.


These are what I call undulating hills.

We traveled past ranches and occasional herds of cattle.

These fertile shortgrass prairies are hilly in many places, especially in the Flint Hills.

We have finally arrived at our destination.

Sort of.

At least we have arrived at Fort Scott.

Or at least I thought we had. 

There were times when I was bored and wasn't paying attention.


For some reason, this didn't look like Fort Scott to me.

Apparently, without realizing it, Scott had driven across the state line into Missouri.

It was time to retrace our steps and return to Kansas.

It wasn't long until we found where our friend was living.

After a nice visit, I wanted to return to find the fort at Fort Scott.

Apparently, there are some fairly famous buildings here.  I'd hate to have to repaint this gingerbread beauty.

You might be able to see the sign on the far left pointing to the fort, as we passed more old buildings.

Wouldn't you know.  The one mural I saw was too blurry to actually use as a Monday Mural.

Here we were, finally on the base.

Fort Scott is one of the National Historic Sites run by the National Park Service.  If you have a cell phone (yes, most people do), you can download an app and see the entire fort.  If interested, go here to see how to download the app.

Located on the property are 20 restored buildings, a parade ground, and five acres of tall grass.  Included are ordnance and post headquarters, four officers' barracks, one dragoon's barracks, dragoon stables, quartermaster stables, two infantry barracks, a hospital, guardhouse, bake shop, flagpole, and magazine building.

We never got out, because Scott was ready to return home.

I found this schematic online, but I also believe it's the same one as found on Wikipedia.  You can see how little we saw.

Here were the parade grounds.

This is where they do many reenactments.

Then it was off to see the rest of the town.





Fort Scott Community College is quite large.



It's amazing to see students walking around campus pre-Covid without a care in the world.






I think we spent more time driving past the campus than we did at the Fort.




I couldn't let the clock go by

without taking a few shots

of it.



Then it was time to say goodbye to this town and our friend.

I got very few shots on the way home.  There was very little of interest I hadn't already seen.

I still love those rolling, undulating hills of eastern Kansas, though.



I hope you enjoyed the trip to Fort Scott and the actual Fort.  Unfortunately, we  didn't get to see much of the fort and now it's closed for the most part.

Thanks for joining Bleubeard and me today.  I truly appreciate your time and visit.


15 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

A beautiful trip. I´d love to be on the road again, too. Miss it very, very much... thank you for taking us along!

Valerie-Jael said...

Fascinating place to visit. My fave was the clock, what a beauty. Have a great week, stay safe, hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

I'll have to go out to look at the goldenrod and imagine the prairie grasses as the goldenrod grows 5 to 6 feet tall. The fort looked pretty cool. Too bad you didn't get more time to explore. The store fronts in the town area look a lot like the downtown of the town where I grew up with the angled parking, and that is one handsome clock.

kathyinozarks said...

I did enjoy the trip. The clock was amazing!! enjoyed the prairie grasses a shame you couldn't stretch your legs a bit and see some of the fort. Thanks for sharing your trip

My name is Erika. said...

I learned all about different prairie tpes when I went to North and South Dakota in 2019. (I was going to say last summer and then I realized it was 2 summer's ago. Time has flown.) I do love seeing the wide open landscapes. And the change of weather too. I have also been in the car with friends and we get talking and miss our destinations too. I had to smile at that one. And being a NAtional Park geek, I enjoyed seeing bits of the fort too. I've been to a few forts and the ones in your giant area of the country are very different from the old stone ones we have around here. There are 5 just on the seacoast around Portsmouth (Odiorne State park has 1) and they are either stone (if revolutionary or civil war) or cement (if world war 2).

Thanks for sharing the photos. Kansas from your photos is very pretty. I don't find the prairie boring at all, although people around here sometimes say it is. Usually they are driving to the west coast and probably buzz right through it. I can only imagine what it would be like to watch every day and be able see so far off. I enjoyed it when I visited ay prairie area.

Thanks for sharing. I am so ready to plan an adventure, and right now I guess I will stick with walking around NH some more.
Hugs-Erika

Nancy said...

Nice photo tour- I really love the rural landscapes and hills. And a surprise trip into Missouri- oops.

Birgit said...

Love the hills and would love to see that grass. The picture, near the bottom, it looks like there is a sinkhole there?? I wonder if the fort is haunted. It looks like a nice small town.

Mae Travels said...

Preserving natural wild areas seems to be an accidental specialty of US military installations! Along the coast of California between Santa Barbara and LA are some of the best unspoiled seashore areas of the Pacific coast -- in a military base. Elsewhere too. Lucky that this one did the same.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

pearshapedcrafting said...

I think this must be the most interesting trip you have taken for variety of terrain and buildings! I really loved this trip across Kansas (and across the border!)I have scrolled back and to a few times before writing this! Thanks for taking us along Elizabeth! Hugs, Chrisx

da tabbies o trout towne said...

thanx for sharing the journey today Elizabeth; it was nice to get away
from trout towne even if for a little while.....the skies there are exceptionally blue !! ☺☺♥♥

LA Paylor said...

I kept thinking... "we're not in Kansas anymore...." from Wizard of Oz... We drove the middle of Kansas... all the way thru, when we moved from east to West

DVArtist said...

I did enjoy it very much. I can see how you could get board. That is a long flat road. LOL I have been to Kansas a few times and almost, (almost) bought a house there. I just couldn't get over the flat and now woods. LOL enjoy your day.

Jeanie said...

Your state is one I've never visited before and so it's such a treat to see what your world looks like beyond your door and city. So thanks for this one. And thanks, too, for the oh, so wonderful comments you have left me lately. Big smiles in my world, thanks to you!

RO said...

That clock was truly fascinating. I can just imagine the beautiful colors all those trees will display soon. Too bad you weren't able to see any of the sights up close and personal at the Fort, but at least you can say that you visited, right? It's been awhile since I went on a scenic trip like that, and it looked peaceful. Hugs, RO

Divers and Sundry said...

What a fascinating trip!