Friday, October 16, 2020

Friday Smiles 392: Returning to the Eisenhower Complex


It's Friday, which means it's time to visit Annie (at A Stitch in Time) along with the wonderful ladies who also join in at Friday Smiles.

We are heading to the Presidential Library.  It houses relevant documents, publications, and other materials that needed to be preserved relating to Ike's life, his presidency, and his administration.  The library was dedicated in May, 1962.  The exterior is made of native limestone.

This was Smithsonian Museum Day and the theme in 2019 may have been about women and women's rights.



I was told all these photos were pulled from the National Archives in the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.

I took this photo to show the incredible floor that was made of Roman Travertine marble with Breche D'Akep and Rouge Flueri trim from France.

The walls were what amazed me, though.  The security person explained they were panels of Laredo Chiaro marble from Italy. 

Everything was so beautiful and seamlessly matched.

My only disappointment was the light that shone through the doors took away from the beauty of the walls.

At first I thought this was copper, but it's a bronze bust of Ike.

There were four floors of documents, photos, books, and ephemera I could peruse, but

at this point, I was SO tired, I only climbed to the second floor where I could peruse documents for research or read a book written by Ike or others.  Here's what I learned while in the Library, although much of it I already knew because of the museum.

Revered by many as one of America's greatest presidents (Ike consistently makes the top ten list for most notable US Presidents), Ike will long be remembered for a most prominent role in American history during particularly turbulent times. Serving as both a top-level general during World War II, commander of forces for NATO in the Korean War of the early fifties, administer of the Free World during the Cold War, and head of the government effort to desegregate schools during his presidency, he will also be remembered for his timely and dire warning presented in his 1961 farewell address in which he brought to light the power of the military-industrial complex. Having had first-hand exposure to the possibility of such an entity from both sides of the table, Ike envisioned a military complex that had gotten out of control.

Following the war, Ike headed off to civilian life, becoming president of Columbia University. The tensions of the Cold War forced Ike's military prowess back into action, this time as head of Allied forces in the Korean War overseeing the newly-formed NATO. He was designated as the Supreme Commander of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization in December of 1950 but would retire from all official military capacities by 1952, to which, persuaded once again by his peers, would run for the presidency of the United States. Ike, already a war hero in the eyes of many, was popular throughout the country, going under the banner of "We Like Ike", a catchy slogan that endeared him to many more. He earned a sweeping Republican victory over Democratic rival Adlai Stevenson in the 1952 Presidential Elections, making him the 34th President of the United States.  Incidentally, Ike's presidential victory of 1952 made him the only serving US President with experience as a military general.  Ike also became the first Republican in the White House in 20 years. With the Korean War stalled at an armed armistice in 1953, followed by the death of Stalin that same year, tensions eased with the communist supernation, opening the door to talks.  A meeting in Geneva during the summer of 1955 lay down the groundwork for even more openness.

Something I didn't realize was Ike was part of a movement to bring about the phrase "under God" to the United States Pledge of Allegiance in 1954. Additionally, he was instrumental in the usage of the phrase "In God We Trust" as both a motto of the nation in 1956 and as printed on all US currency starting 1957. 

During his second term of office, Ike focused on domestic issues.  He turned his attention to the desegregation of schools and of the military with the eternal words of "There must be no second class citizens in this country."

By the time of his death and years afterwards, Ike would hold numerous national and international military and peacetime awards and titles while having a multitude of schools, parks, and roadways named in his honor.  Wichita's International Airport was recently renamed to honor him.


I had been here for over seven hours and I'm just not used to standing and walking that long without a break.  I decided to forgo the remainder of the floors and put this visit behind me.

I now wish I'd stayed longer because I was sure this would probably be the only time I would ever get here.

As I walked to the Place of Meditation, I once again saw the Abilene and Smoky Valley Train.  Their museum was close by, but I had no desire to look for it.

It was time to head to my final destination, the Place of Meditation.  Note the gift shop and Visitor Center is on the right in the above photo. 

We have come full circle

because I can even see the parking lot behind the Visitor Center.

The wind had picked up and it was evident by the spray of the fountain.

The chapel was completed in 1966.  It is also made of native limestone.  It is the final resting place of Dwight, Mamie, and Doud (Icky) Eisenhower.

The leaded glass panels are on both doors, but I failed to get a photo of both.

When I walked in, this is what I saw.  First there were the resting places behind these  open walls.

On one side was this showing that Dwight David Eisenhower was a member of the Sons of the American Revolution.  He was a member of the Empire State Society as decreed by his son, John Eisenhower.  Ike was buried with full military and national honors.

There was a lovely chapel

where one could sit and meditate, or like me, sit and change my batteries in my camera for the second time that day.  Just sitting became very refreshing.

Once refreshed and relaxed, it was time to move on.

I needed to follow

the sloping path to

Dwight, Mamie, and Doud's final resting places.

The beautiful chapel is made of Travertine marble and limestone.




This is at the head of the marble slabs.

And now it's time to go home.  Yes, we have reached the end of the trip to the Eisenhower Complex that I visited for Smithsonian Day in late September, 2019.  Thanks for joining me.  I hope you learned as much as I did about this man of peace.  It's too bad he isn't around to be a good example right now, because much of the free world loved him.  What a great example he would have given us were he still alive.

Now let's head over to Annie's because she knows how to put a smile on everyone's faces.  And whatever you do, please don't forget to start your weekend off right with a few Friday Smiles of your own.  And remember, if you would like to play along, Annie would love to have you join us. 

 

17 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

So happy you have showed all of the photos now! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

I did learn a lot indeed, thank you!
I agree, we would need him especially right now in these times.
Wow, to be honest I never stayed some 7 whopping hours in a museum!
But, see. A teacher could take to your blog and teach German kids a bit more than just Hit#er. Would be so easy!

Lisca said...

Seven hours is a long time. I wish I could spend so much time at a museum, but usually my husband just goes through it quickly, but I like to read every sign and every plaque and look at the exhibits from all directions. Marriage is about compromise so there you are.
I found this museum very interesting and I learnt a lot. He was a great man.
Like you, I was impressed by the beautiful marble. Having lived in southern Europe for most of my life, I should be used to marble, but I am impressed by the beauty of this particular building and how they combined these special marbles. Truly beautiful.
Have a lovely relaxing weekend,
Stay safe,
Lisca

mamapez5 said...

I can see you got a lot from that visit and I am pleased for you. Seven hours is a long time to be browsing. I loved the little chapel with is stained glass windows. It looks very peaceful and the perfect place for meditation - or recharging your batteries! Kate x

CJ Kennedy said...

The marble throughout the museum is just gorgeous, The chapel with the light shining through the stained glass is just breath-taking.

Annie said...

I really loved the marble on the walls and floors and the stained glass windows were gorgeous.
Hugs,
Annie x

Cathy Kennedy said...

I enjoyed this virtual visit and I would love to go here in life someday. Perhaps if we ever find ourselves in this part of the country we can take a tour. I love places filled with deep history with loads of artifacts, memorabilia, and tribunes marking the importance of the person, place, and time. Thanks for sharing! Have a good weekend, my friend. :)

DVArtist said...

I love going on these trips with you. Good thing you took so many photos so you can return there any time. The woman has no vote is striking. The thought of all the fighting women have done to get equality and it is being chipped away so many years later. Thank you again for sharing this trip. Enjoy your day.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Those walls and floors are amazing.

Jeanie said...

That's quite the visit. I know what you mean about the walls and the reflections. That's too bad -- they look beautiful.

I've loved all your visits to this museum and I can see why you'd spend a long time there -- and seven hours is a long time! I also loved the outbuildings and that beautiful chapel. Lovely photos and a fabulous look at a remarkable president.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, sorry I'm late it's just been the story of my life this week. Those marbled walls are amazing. Seven hours is a long time but it's the only way to truly appreciate a place like this. I think so often we miss so much because we skip round places. I am so in love with those stained glass windows in the chapel, they are brilliant. Thank you for the lovely comment over at mine too. Happy weekend, Angela xXx

kathyinozarks said...

I've enjoyed this series of posts-thank you.
Happy weekend

My name is Erika. said...

Those walls and floor are really amazing. I particulary like the wall. Wow. And I also didn't know about the under God and the pledge part. That's where that came from. I also didn't know they were buried there also. I've enjoyed all these visits to such a fascinating place. You really made a day of it, and then you also had to drive home. What nic day out you ended up having. Hope your Friday was good. Hugs-Erika

Helen said...

you certainly shared a lot of what you saw and learnt that day. 7 hours is longer than I could have stayed though. I salute you! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Lowcarb team member said...

What a great selection of photographs on this post.
I think you did so well to have a seven hour visit, my energy levels would have been waning long before!
That chapel and the stained glass windows looks very nice.

Once again, many thanks for sharing all of your photographs here.

All the best Jan

pearshapedcrafting said...

I was mesmerised with that beautiful marble Elizabeth! I loved the final summing up after your visit to the 2nd floor! What a great man he was and what an example to others! The final resting g place for the Eisenhower family seems very fitting!Thank you for showing us around, Hugs, Chrisx

Divers and Sundry said...

A fascinating place!

The addition of "under God" and "in God we trust" has not served us well imo and was purely reactionary.