Thursday, September 24, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Crops and Farming


It's Thursday and that means we're meeting at Rain's for her Thursday Art Date.  This week, the theme is Crops and Farming.  I'm a "city" girl and don't see too many farms, so this will be a very short entry, I fear.

I have no art today, so I'll start with farmers harvesting their wheat, a crop we are famous for.  After all, Kansas is known as the Wheat State.

A field in a different town, where wheat is ready to be harvested.

The disparity between the green on the right and the brown on the left.

On the home front, this is what my side garden used to look like.

Tomatoes, eggplant, and bell peppers

were taller than the 8 foot fence.

Even my herbs were doing nicely.

I had so many plants, I didn't have room for all of them in my 16 X 8 foot (4,88 X 2,44 meter) garden.

I even took time to see what others were growing, especially cactus and succulents,



I tried to always rotate my crops, too.


I kept weeds down by laying shredded copier paper around my plants.



Then I purchased a blackberry bush and it has gone to town, taking over my side garden.

Now I no longer have the garden I used to have.

I also no longer have the bumper crops I used to share on my blog.

Since I have few crops to share, I'll show some drive by shots I caught when I felt safe to be out and about.

Fields of hay, I think, but it might be what is left of the wheat harvest.

This is a common sight in late summer in my part of the country, as it is for other places, too, I assume.

This is from my Money altered book.   I bet the farmers wished these bales of money were possible.

And on the mural front

this farm and the approaching storm and tornado say it all.  That's it for me this week.

All photos taken by me, except the last one, which was taken (using my camera) by the oldest of three youngsters who stayed with me last summer.  Bleubeard remembered when my side garden was extra productive and he was allowed to join me there.

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today.   Bleubeard and I are truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join us at Rain's Thursday Art Date.  

Next Thursday is October 1 and I will need to miss TAD because I am welcoming a new host at Art Journal Journey.


15 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos and art. The mural is my fave. Have a wonderful day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Love the garden shot with the sun rays! I think it counts as art, too!
Oh, yes, not only farmers wish for bales of money... the apartment I have for rent needs a new bathroom, roll over such a thing, please.

My name is Erika. said...

I'm loving your garden photos as well as the views from outside the city. The land is so different from the forests and hills we have here. And your herb garden and plants look fantastic. Nice collection for this week's topic over at Rain's art date. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

Enjoyed your post! love the garden and farm photos-perfect mural too Enjoy your Thursday Kathy

Mae Travels said...

Your garden looks as if it was once magnificent! The photos of Kansas agriculture look much like I remember from cross-country trips. Enormously productive and important fields that are utterly boring to drive through! We rerouted many of our trips to be more to the north or far to the south, in order to have more varied scenery. However, your photo essay is very interesting.

Nice murals for this theme, too!

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; your garden is AMAZING !!!! you mentioned you no longer have the garden you used to; is this because of the season we are in; fall, or the garden itself isn't as large ? and thanks for the tip about weed control; I need to try that next spring !!!!

wavez two ewe bleu and squiggles ~~~~~ =^..^= ♥♥

Karen said...

Lot's of great photos and wonderful examples of healthy vegetation ~ Enjoy!

Divers and Sundry said...

Those blue skies! I change-up my little garden areas, too. It's part of the fun :)

DVArtist said...

OMG for being a city girl this is a great post. I love seeing your yard and what you use to grow and what you grow now. Enjoy your day.

Barbara said...

Your garden must have been wonderful! I’m not a good grower of things, plus we have many trees that shade our space.

Mia said...

May I have one of these balls of money, Elizabeth? I need it so badly! Ha ha!
Great page, my dear friend. And I always enjoy your photos. Kisses!!!
PS: No problem for the parcel. Send it when you can. No rush at all.
But PLEASE: If possible, can you send me one coffee filter from US? In my country, coffee filters are NOT round.

Jeanie said...

Your garden looks SO healthy! Oh, I'm more than a tad envious. Mine is done. Love all the photos -- perfect for the theme.

Rita said...

Wow! Your garden looks absolutely amazing!! :)

RO said...

Always cool to look at other people's gardens because I totally am NOT good at it(lol) The mural is fun and I agree on the money!(lol) Hope you're doing well! Hugs, RO

pearshapedcrafting said...

The photos of the fields are fabulous but best of all are the shots of your garden over the years, hugs, Chrisx