Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Architecture


I'm back just minutes before it is time to link to this post.  I have several posts ready in the queue for just such an event, but never expected to lose power due to a silly cable.  The first one wasn't the correct one, so I had to wait till my friend Scott was able to get one that was correct.  How nice to have next day air.  Again, I'll be by to visit as I'm able to.  I appreciate those of you who visited even when I was unable to.  Thank you beyond belief.

Today is Thursday, which means we're meeting at Rain's for her Thursday Art Date.  This week the theme is Architecture.

Granted, I have shown this before at a previous Rain's TAD, but I'm so proud of it, I had to share it again.

Here is some Tuscan architecture.

Contrast that with Cuban architecture.

Or that found in Nuuk, which is Greenland's capital.

Perhaps you would prefer some architecture from Santorini, Greece.

Perhaps you prefer the ancient architecture found in Athens.

On this side of the big pond is this cathedral in Sao Paulo, the largest city in Brazil, in the Americas, the southern hemisphere, and the western hemisphere.  The Sao Paulo Cathedral underwent a complete renovation between 2000 and 2002.  Apart from repairing the building, many pinnacles over the nave and towers were completed. The original construction plans were found inside the building, allowing for a faithful restoration. I backed the image found in a travel magazine with three pages of scrapbook paper and a yellow doily.

Next it was time to check out the architecture in Olinda, also in Brazil.
Perhaps you would prefer to visit Paraty, an old city in Brazil where no cars are allowed due to the narrow cobblestone streets.

While on our imaginary visit to Brazil, we stopped in Sao Luis, which has the largest and best colonial Portuguese architecture in Latin America.  As an aside, I created the template by hand that I used to cut the shape on which I matted the picture.  I spritzed the cut mat with my handmade shimmering mists before I centered the focal image on it.

Before we leave Brazil, we have to check out the architecture of the capitol of Brazil, which is not Rio, but Brazilia, the planned city that is laid out like a bird.  Shown in the photo is the Cathedral of Brazilia.

This is a tongue in cheek page.  I created House Dress in my Houses altered book.

Switching gears,

this Pagoda Gazebo is part of the latest garden at Wichita's Botanical Garden.

This is a lovely old church I spotted one day as I was driving through my city.

This sits near the Botanical Gardens.  I have no idea what it is, but it's definitely architecture.

Here's another church in my city.

And another.

I was surprised when I took this off my old camera.  It looked like a digital print with an overlay to me, but it's just how I removed it from the camera.

I always took two shots of everything with my old worthless camera, so here is the second shot.

I found a few homes in another part of the city that had homes similar to my 1920 bungalow.

I liked how the tree shadows played on the wall and how the wall on the right looked like someone had taken a bite out of it.

I'm not sure if this is a church or a private residence.

This building sits on the Wichita State University (WSU) campus.

It is where WSU's "home" college baseball games are played.

Found at a local museum, after attending a lecture given by Frank Lloyd Wright in Wichita in 1935, Louise Hoult was inspired and wrote the architect to inquire if he would create a "small and reasonable house" for her and her husband.   He designed Usonia, but it proved to be too expensive for middle class people in Wichita, so was never built.

Even though Frank Lloyd Wright didn't build Usonia in Wichita, he did leave his mark on the city.  He designed and built the Henry J. Allen home.  Allen owned the Wichita Beacon (a daily newspaper), was also a governor, and a U.S. senator, too.  Today the showcase house, with its original furniture also created by Wright, is a museum.

I have tons more I could share, but I think I'll stop here.  All art created by me.  All photos taken by me.  Bleubeard was actually excited because he wants to know when we are moving into that "dream home" I showed in the first photo.

Thank you beyond belief for visiting today.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  Please also join me at Rain's Thursday Art Date.


23 thoughtful remarks:

Christine said...

Love your dream home. Enjoyed the other architecture featured here today!

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous art and photos, have a great day, Valerie

Elkes Lebensglück said...

What a sweet dream house and the photos from visits to these wonderful places on Rain's theme.
This is a wonderful post that I enjoyed!
I wish you a good day and take care and stay healthy, hug, Elke

Elderberry-Rob said...

I like your dream home and the cuban architecture is definitely my favourite, we went there a few years ago and I loved the seventees vibe, some saw crumbling buildings but I just saw brightly painted iconic towns with vibrancy and life within.

Kokopelli said...

Wonderful architecture photos! But your dream home is the best! LOVE it!

Iris Flavia said...

Ohhhh.... "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, lass dein Haar herunter!" The first beautiful work of yours reminds me this fairy tale!
And Tuscany, awww.... sweet memories! Cuba, too!
Oh, "Corinna" keeps us from visiting again! Greenland, brrrr. No. Brrr.
Santorini, yes, ages ago! Beautiful! (apart from the journey. The waves were high, people puked everywhere, one woman was so desperate she puked into her hands... not kidding. I nearly had to puke seeing that!).

Oh, sooo many places I still want to go!
Baseball, I have to admit... not my thing.
Yes. Hope your hair is long enough in case Bleubeard wants to hunt some mice outside! ;-)

Cathy Kennedy said...

When I graduated high school I thought briefly about studying architecture. I can't remember now why I switched gears going into computer science. I suppose I let my head do the thinking instead of my heart. Your house design is pretty. I imagine a cute little fairy lives inside. :) Oh that's a good one with your take on a house dress! Ha-Ha! My grandma often referred to the dress she wore around the house, as a house dress. I had forgotten about this until now. Have a doodletastic week, my dear!

Karen said...

Terrific art and architecture examples ~ Sounds like you should be up and running again soon! Hooray ~ enjoy the rest of the week

CJ Kennedy said...

How nice to take an art and architecture tour from the comfort of my chair. I loved the play on words of your house dress creation. 😺Glad you’re back online. Have a good day

Birgit said...

I guess the house dress changed to sweats:) I love your artistic flair to capture the photos of the different places. I really like the background of Athens. I would live in Tuscany from these photos. Your first home is great and I could see fairies and gnomes around there.

DVArtist said...

I love that you showed the first one again. I re-show art a lot because I run out of time to create. Love all the architecture Photos.

Divers and Sundry said...

What a great variety, but I hafta admit "house dress" is my favorite :)

Mae Travels said...

Your tour of architecture in several cities is very enjoyable. I’ve seen some of those places, but not most. How I would like to get to Santorini!
Or Tuscany again!

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

da tabbies o trout towne said...

while I am blessed to have transportation and the means to afford to; I'd give up the car in a hot minute if I could live in a city that was "walkable"

hi to bleu and squiggles from de trouterz !! ☺☺♥♥

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Wow, not bad for a last minute post. I love the Frank Lloyd Wright piece ... the Henry Allen home looks very much like the Robie home that is here in Wilmette, Il. I can't imagine that he would use the same plans in two different places .... hmmm :) It looks like you have done a great deal of traveling in your life time. Love the Brazila picture. I remember when Brazilia was being built. I also remember that it was built in the middle of the luxurious Rain Forests which have since been demolished, a sad and dangerous problem. So much and so many beautiful buildings ... Great post, Elizabeth ... no contributions from Bleubeard this time. Is he taking a break? Stay well and hope your computer issues are resolved :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love seeing all these different styles of architecture but the ones that are the best are your own art (I especially love the dream home) and those of your local area! Glad you are back on line! Hugs,Chrisx

Mia said...

Wow Elizabeth! I LOVE your painted dream house, the architecture of Santorini and Athens (of course, I am greek!) and the fantastic house dress!!! What a great inspiration, my friend! Kisses!

Jeanie said...

I really love your "dream home." It's just charming. And fun to see the architecture from around the world!

aussie aNNie said...

Great post as always. Interesting reading too. Never apologize for not commenting, at the moment blogger is wanting me to prove I am not a robot.....so that has stopped my joy of commenting a lot. x

Sandra Cox said...

These are purrfect! Glad you are up and running.
Take special care.

My name is Erika. said...

Great architecture. I especially like seeing the ones of Wichita as it is very different in style from my little New England town. ALthough the brick church or private residence looks like some around here, but I guess some styles are universal. Glad you are finally back and up again. Hugs-Erika

NatureFootstep said...

love your heartfully home. And all teh others you shared. I noticed Santorini, a very beautiful place I visited many years ago. Think I have to revisit my albums :)
Thanks for sharing.

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth :)) I love your dream home! It's very pretty! :) Thanks for the trip around the world of architecture! I think my favourite of all those photos is the Tuscan architecture. I've always wanted to go to Italy...it's just so beautiful. Your "house dress" is very original! Well done! I hope you get internet back soon, boy you have issues with that internet!!