Monday, September 7, 2020

Beauty (which may be in the eye of the beholder)


Since I have a few hours between Monday Murals and T Time, I thought I would share another Art Journal Journey entry using Jo's from Let's Art Journal theme which is Texture.

I named this latest spread in my Challenges altered book, "Beauty."

I'm not a very good stamper to begin with, but when the background or substrate is not smooth, it is even worse.   This quote, attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt reads "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

I further added a sentiment from an old book that reads "It is currently fashionable".  As an English grammar aside, the quotes are around the text only because there was no period ending the sentiment.

Originally I chose to go in a completely different direction, and when I removed the sentiment I had created, it left its mark.

Bits of texture were everywhere.

I created this side last.  I got the name of the post from this side.  I only added the rest because I felt like this spread left a  lot to be desired, even though there was lots of the required texture I was going for.

I wish I had this view when I drink my coffee in the morning.


I tried a second-generation stamping of the Roosevelt quote.  There were parts that didn't stamp on either side.

For this spread, I began in my Challenges altered book using leftover pieces from a sack that came from a specialty shop.  To that I added a large portion of vintage wallpaper in several places.  I placed a strip of decorative tape over one edge of the wallpaper.  I adhered these different weights using PVA glue, which always wrinkles, no matter how much I smooth it.  I should know better, but I didn't want to use glue stick over both pages.

When the background was dry, I adhered a very sticky ham label to the right side. When I tried to remove it once I changed my mind on the layout, I was unable to do so.  Instead, I was able to remove most of the sentiment I had created using glue stick.  Over the label, I adhered a piece of textured scrim, or at least I think that's what it is.  I also added a piece of the vintage wallpaper.

I added more texture when I laid down three pieces torn from the edges of old daisy ink jet printer paper.  Does anyone even remember that, or am I showing my geeky age?

For the left side, I found this lovely image in a magazine and adhered it to the page.  I then stamped both sentiments using black dye ink.

I am so happy that you stopped by today.  I hope to see you at Art Journal Journey and later for T Tuesday, too. 

14 thoughtful remarks:

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful, all of this post. (●'◡'●)

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful journal pages, so different. Have a great week, Valerie

Let's Art Journal said...

Love this! The wrinkle in the vintage wallpaper add to the texture beautifully so no worries about it being smooth (grin!) and I was astonished by the amount of additional texture that you added, the layers look amazing 😁. Thanks so much for inspiring us at AJJ! Wishing you a happy new week! Hugs, Jo x

Iris Flavia said...

That is a very good quote.
Just asked at the AI (Artificial Intelligence) company if they had not received my e-mail. Don´t expect an answer, though.
But one can dream, huh.

Oh, I have that view, but I don´t like coffee, irony, huh?
Google only gives me a frame (I do have some, and will use, thank you!) on daisy ink jet printer paper!
To come!

CJ Kennedy said...

Lovely. Makes me think of choosing curtains, wallpaper for a room. Maybe the room with that awesome view. When I was a programmer, we called the strips of paper left over from printing, Flits. That brought back memories.

Barbara said...

I love the resulting textures here, and the way they complement each other. Well done!

nwilliams6 said...

Soooo much texture and fun elements. The words are all super meaningful as well. I love the Eleanor quote - I painted that on the back of my daughter's door when she was younger. I think it sunk in as she definitely does believe in her dreams and goes after them well. Super pages. Hugz

RO said...

Quite unique, and the flowers look so pretty. Hope you're enjoying your day. Hugs, RO

Jeanie said...

I love how you have books and journals like this that you can add onto. Beauty certainly works as a title and I really appreciate your outline of process and what you used and how.

Divers and Sundry said...

Lovely! I like how you arranged the elements and the texture and depth. I think your view from your front porch is at least as good as that one :)

peggy gatto said...

Just so many wonderful techniques, lovely!!

Darla said...

I always appreciate your honesty - telling us just how you tried something (removal in this case) that didn't work and going on to describe how you fixed it. Art is messy!

Meggymay said...

Wonderful layers and textures, I love all the detail in this page. Thank you for the inspiration, all I need is time.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow Elizabeth! This is a really fabulous spread! Brilliant textures! Hugs, Chrisx