Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Second Thursday Tutorial (nearly a week late)


I am posting my Second Thursday Tutorial nearly a week late because I spent an enormous amount of time preparing for Rain's Thursday Art Date tomorrow and because my internet was off for days and days and days on end.

This month and for the next few months, I'll be reviewing a book my art and shopaholic friend Kathy gave me.

First, I'm going to review this book.  It was written by Lesley Riley.  In the process, I'm going to create as many of the 27 techniques as I have products for.

I'm not sure you can read the required materials needed, so I've listed them below:

Scissors
Ruler
Paintbrushes
Acrylic paints or inks
Water container
Glue
Sewing machine
Thread

I hope you can read about adding color and pattern.

I'm fairly certain you can't read the above well, and the only reason I included this is because I cut the caption off under the right image in the next photo.

I hope you can read this better.

Lesley's book shows some of the paints (and inks) she used.  I used that as my reference and went searching for paints I could use.

I was nearly blown away by the number of specialty paints I had tucked away in the basement that I never use.  Some I had obviously purchased at the thrift store, while others I had been given when I helped a friend clean his mother's storage unit several years ago.  Some I swear I had never seen before, especially the Lumiere paints.

I also decided to bring out protective gloves, because I had spilled some black reinker all over both my hands the week before and it took DAYS to get rid of it, even though I wash my hands numerous times a day.

You may have noticed one of the required materials was water.  When I pulled out my distilled water bottle, it felt nearly empty.  Thankfully, I had a full, new bottle of distilled water.  I just want everyone to know when I use water in my projects, I always use distilled. 

When I read ahead in the book, Lesley suggested placing a piece of fabric over a sheet of parchment paper, which would be used to catch any extra water.  Instead of parchment paper, you can use your Teflon non-stick craft mat.

And of course, you will need Lutradur.

You can purchase Lutradur in the U.S. at Amazon or Dharma Trading Company.  You get 10 sheets that are 8.5 X 11 inches. Or you can buy it by the yard at Pellon.

You can purchase Lutradur by the meter (metre) in the UK at Express Mills.  You can buy sheets and rolls at Spun Art and ArtVanGo.  You can buy rolls in different weights at Colourcraft.

You can purchase 10 sheets of Lutradur in Canada at Walmart.

It appears those of you in the EU can buy your Lutradur on Ebay or at Amazon.

You can buy the Lutradur book written by Lesley in Australia at Fishpond.  I couldn't find where to buy just Lutradur, though.

Some of you who don't sew may not know about Lutradur or its potential.  It is spun fabric paper.  It reminds me of heavy Tyvek.  You definitely DO NOT need a sewing machine to create some beautiful Lutradur creations, so don't let that put you off from trying it.

This week we're going to start with paint.  Since Lutradur is not exactly cheap, I suggest leaving your craft paints in the drawer and bringing out your expensive fluid acrylics and fabric paints.  Lesley suggests using a foam brush, but that is just her preference.  Any brush, even a chip brush will work.

You can paint Lutradur either wet or dry.  Note this is Lumiere fabric paint and once I spritzed water on the paint, it spread like crazy to the fabric behind the Lutratdor.

This is dimensional fabric and craft paint.

Note how the fibers show through as the paint lightens.

I decided to check to see how much the paints had spread.  The Lumiere spread a lot, while the dimensional paint didn't.  You're looking at the reverse side of the Lutrador, too.  It appears the Lumiere was pale on the reverse side, while the fabric paint was as lovely on the back as the front.  These are notes the book doesn't include, but I observed as I played with this product.

I have several Scribbles I use on occasion, but I found this bottle in my basement.  This fabric writer may have been iridescent, but it was a pale comparison to the first two products I used. 

Wouldn't you know I couldn't leave the copper alone.  I didn't even know I owned this. I can't begin to imagine it's been in the basement collecting dust all these years, when I could have been using it to color fabric.

Tulip brand makes a ton of different types of fabric paints.  This one is called Jewel and the color is ruby.  I was not impressed.  It just looked like a bunch of glitter paint or glitter glue to me.

Hands down, my favorite was fluid acrylic paint.  It was solid and heavy and stayed in place even after I spritzed it with water.

Now it was time to remove the Lutrador from the fabric and allow the two to dry.  I'll still be playing, but there's no more time today.

Ruminations:

1. Whether you add water or not to the Lutrador, be sure to have a fabric backing to catch the excess paint (or ink, etc.).

2.  Lesley might like the foam brush, but it's not my thing.  I'll be trying a different brush in the future, because the Lutrador doesn't take the paint well from the brush.

3.  The thicker the paint, the less fibers you'll see.

4.  Conversely, thinner paint and watered down paint will show the fibers better.  It all depends on what you're looking for.

5.  Keep an accurate record of each paint (and other coloring product) you use, so you know how it behaves when you use it in your art projects.

6.  Lutrador comes in various thicknesses and colors, but I was given what feels like very heavy white Lutrador.  I suspect that will have a lot to do with the amount and type of paint you will want to use.

Thanks so much for joining me today.  I've never considered using Lutrador in my Second Thursday tutorials before, but the opportunity arose, so I hope it sparks an interest in you, too.  Don't worry.  You don't have to purchase the book, because I'll go through as many products and projects as I have products for.  I'll also share a completed piece soon, at least I hope I will.

Once this post goes live, it will be called Lutrador part 1: what it is and where to buy it.


20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

It's always good to try out new methods, and it looks like an interesting book to work through. I think we all have more things stashes away than we know of! Have a fun day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, this is awesome! I could never do that (here) - I have a space of not even from my fingertips to my ellbow.
That is my stupid choice of course.

kathyinozarks said...

I am not familiar with the lutador will check it out thanks

Karen said...

Have fun playing through the book! ~

Sami said...

I'm sure you will have lots of fun trying out all the projects in the book.
Enjoy it Elizabeth :)

Mia said...

I am not sure I can find Lutrador in Greece, Elizabeth, but I will try anything you suggest using rice paper or handmade thick paper or fabric. I do not know the result, but this sounds challenging. Kisses!

Nancy said...

Interesting! Thanks for doing the research on this and sharing your results/thoughts.

CJ Kennedy said...

I had never heard of Lutrador, but have used Tyvek. Interesting technique. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy McMath said...

Wonderful experiments Elizabeth and such pretty colours.

Jeanie said...

Your tutorials are always so interesting. Even though I think I'll probably never do this, I would like to think that if reading this, I could!

My name is Erika. said...

I have this book and I should pull it out as I haven't looked at in in years. Like your stripes. And lutrador is a cool medium. I think (and only think-I would have to go back and check on this as I haven't done it for several years also) you can stitch on it and then use a heat gun to melt away the lutrador and leave behind some cool stitching. Outside with a mask of course. Or with windows open. I need to check that out. Thanks for stirring some dust out of my memory and sharing this post. Very cool. Hugs-Erika

da tabbies o trout towne said...

the colors you chose work very well together on this piece !!!

bleu N squiggles; we R gettin inta trubull.....we hope ewe both R two :) ☺☺☺☺☺♥♥

Barbara said...

Lutrador is a new word for me! Some very interesting results you’ve gotten with it. I’m so only working with acrylic paint these days, but I miss the surprise and discovery element of experimenting with other crafts. I went to Michaels today for paint, and the shelves were so empty I wondered if Michaels is closing! Probably not though as I heard so many scanners beeping that I decided it’s inventory time. Shopping is just not any fun anymore. Thanks for looking and commenting on my nebula painting. 😊

aussie aNNie said...

Not heard of this word before but interesting reading, hugs

craftytrog said...

A very interesting post Elizabeth. I haven't used lutrador before. Looking forward to part two.
Alison xx

Divers and Sundry said...

There's nothing like an actual book to guide you in exploring a new technique and materials. I look forward to more :)

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Morning Elizabeth, i'm playing catch up too.. I seem to do nothing but this on blogger right now.. good to see your internet is back up and running again. This post jumped right out at me because I am working with Lutradur right now. Love it's versatility with textile art and the various thicknesses you can purchase. Like Tyvek it's a great resource to have to hand when textile designing. I'm very happy to see you playing with it and making good use of that book given to you, what a great friend.
Hugs Tracey xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fascinating post - I am sure I have some Lutrador lurking somewhere! I did laugh when you said you hadn't seen those paints before! Hugs, Chrisx

Darla said...

A very interesting post, lots of arty information. I'll be watching for the next installment.

RO said...

This seems like such a cool and relaxing way to try out a new project! Hugs, RO