Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Welcoming a new host at Art Journal Journey


Today we welcome a new host for the month of July at Art Journal Journey.  Please welcome my friend and co-administrator Erika, who many of you know as Bio Art Gal.  Her theme is When It's Hot.

I was thinking outside the box with this spread. 

When I thought of hot, I thought of chilies, those peppers that could be either hot or mild.

I sewed around the green chilies with variegated thread.  I wanted to set them apart from the red ones, which are definitely hot.

I cut some of the red ones from the tissue and added then to the word "hot."

They even look hot on the page!

Of course, if you don't like red hot chilies

you have an alternative.

It's true that some people like their chilies hot, but some do not.

For this page, I started by sewing a sheet of vintage sheet music to a sheet of 110 lb. card stock.  I went up and down the length of the sheet and sewed the two together using the same green and white variegated thread I used on the tissue.  I don't think you can see the sewing I covered over with the chili tissue paper.   After sewing around the green chilies, I colored the sentiment using water soluble crayons, and sewed the words, along with the label taken from a can of green chilies, to the substrate.

I want to wish all my Canadian friends a wonderful holiday.  Happy Canada Day one and all.

Thanks beyond belief for visiting today.   Bleubeard and I are happy you stopped by.  We hope you will join Erika, Yvonne, Bleubeard, and me this month at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by When It's Hot.  Please be aware, we want to see your altered book pages, journal pages, loose journal art, canvases, fabric pages, and digital art.  However, we cannot accept cards, ATCs, ATCoins, tags, or 3-D art not attached to your journal page, and will be forced to delete your entry.   Be aware of size requirements, as noted in the dreaded rules, too please.


As an aside, I want to thank all of you who sent your kind thoughts and well wishes over my eye.  The surgeon gave me an IV containing an anesthesia before he gave my eye a local shot to numb the pain.  Apparently, in addition to my eye problem, I had a bad reaction to the anesthetic that was used.  They kept me until 10:00 p.m. my time, when I was finally well enough to go home.

They did all kinds of tests on my eye and looked at it every which way.  In the end, the consensus was I should wear a patch that the doctor gave me for a week.  I'm to return next Monday.  If at that time, my eye isn't better, they will discuss options.  However, he was quite optimistic and felt it now just needed to rest and heal.  I can bathe, but not shower.  I can't wash my hair until Monday and must wash my face by hand every day (not in the bath).  It's a good thing the cats don't mind if I have a bad hair day!!  Thanks to all for your concern.

23 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi E, glad the eye isn't too bad, although it's surely very painful. Be careful and rest, that#s important. Fun page with chillies, not my fave food! Nice theme from Erika, it must be magic, because today it cooled down here and rained.... Have a great day, be careful! Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

I don´t know what hurts more, the red chilli or reading about your eye.
I´ve been in both places... ahhhh.... All the very best to your eye. Let the hair be bad ;-) You only see half... sorry, forget about that! ;-)
You need to keep some humor, right.

Helen said...

Glad the news about your eye seems to be encouraging, hopefully the rest behind the patch will be all that is required. Take it easy and don't do too much.

Meggymay said...

It sounds really positive about your eye, wearing the patch will help it to heal without strain. Bad hair days are normal for me.
I love the fantastic chili pepper page you created for Erika's new theme l do like the flavour of a mild chili added to food.
Stay safe and look after yourself.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

The good news is they are optimistic. Losing vision is a scary thing. Hopefully the patch will help healing take place. Or at least the start of it. And I have to say I love your chili pepper page. It is perfect and more creative than mine with the sun and fans. I can die cut you some fans and send them to you if you’d like. That die has been on my get rid of pile for quite awhile now as I’ve never used it before this page. Good thing I got it on sale. I don’t know what I was thinking when I bought it. But back to your page. It is perfect for this challenge. ❤️ It. Take care of that eye and thanks for a nice page. Hugs Erika

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Your artwork is lovely. And I'm glad to hear that the DR is optimistic that you won't need surgery, and just need to let your eye heal. Hopefully when he sees you next Monday, your eye will be much better. I chuckled at your sense of humor about your cats won't care how your hair looks. But I'm sorry to hear you had a bad reaction to the anesthetic. That's scary. Please take good care of yourself dear Elizabeth. Teddy sends a hug and get well wishes.

Barbara said...

Good news, and I hope your are pain free and comfortable!

Mae Travels said...

That's really good news, that the docs think your eye can heal with only wearing a patch. I'm really glad to hear that you are through with such a long doctor visit, too -- sounds like an ordeal on its own.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

CJ Kennedy said...

Glad to hear you are better and the good prognosis for your eye. Your hot page made me smile as I would have thought weather and not food. I fall into the some do not like them hot category. Have a good day.

DVArtist said...

Being a person with eye problems, (not like yours of course) not being able to see and having a second surgery next week. I can sympathize with the bathing and hair washing situation. Uuuhhhgggg... It sounds like you have a good doctor. I will keep a healing candle going for you and send healing energy. Rest your eyes as much as you can. As for your Chili art I love it. Chili art just makes me happy. A good theme for sure.

Eileen Bergen said...

Love this page! I'm one who does not not like them hot - despite where I've lived for the past 23 years - lol.

I've been worried about your eye. I'm glad your doctor is optimistic. I'll keep sending positive energy.

Hugs, Eileen

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I wasn't around blogland yesterday Elizabeth and am now learning of the incident with the weed eater....I pray that it wasn't anything that requires surgery or the like; and the optometrist was correct in assuming the eye needed to "rest" after being struck. I'm all too familiar with weed eater incidents and eye patches. my best to you ~~~~ ☺☺♥♥

Sandra Cox said...

I love this piece, Elizabeth! Purrfect. It's perky!
Wow. Toes-crossed, fingers firmly on the keyboard, that your follow up brings good news. Please keep us posted and that eye rested. Hugs

craftytrog said...

Great page Elizabeth! I'm no chilli fan though 😣
Sorry to hear about your eye, hope the rest will help it heal quickly.
Hugs,
Alison xx

Sharon Madson said...

I am glad it is good news about your eye. You were sure nice to stop by , even with your eye problems. Thank you, Elizabeth. I will try to play 2nd on the 2nd.

Darla said...

Hot, hot, hot. I always admire your stitching on pages. So sorry about the injury to your eye, Hopefully it will resolve itself without any surgery. Keep us informed about your progress please. Will be sending good thoughts.

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely post and I think I need to get my sewing machine out again to use....Don't worry about commenting, just look after your eyes.xx

nwilliams6 said...

I like it hot and I like peppers too. I grew up in New Mexico and have missed the peppers most of all. Used to have fresh Hatch green chili shipped to me when I had more money. Miss those flavors. Your page is super fun!!!!!

Neet said...

Oh Elizabeth I did not know about your eye. So sorry to hear this and the terrible time you have had with it. That must have been quite a worry for you. May I, rather late, wish you a good recovery. I know what you mean about not showering. I have hurt my leg and am not sure when I will be able to shower - plus I have an operation coming up this month.
Anyway, I came to see your red hot chillies and your not so hot green ones. What a lovely idea to use the saying in this way and to show so many different chillies on the page. What a fabulous page and I do like how you did the stitching around the green ones.
Hope Bleubeard is looking after you.
Hugs, Neet xx

Rita said...

So very sorry about your eye! I hope things work out well.

I am one of the nots for hot peppers--LOL! NO way!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

The journal page is really hot when you eat it! great idea on the subject!
Greetings Elke

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Nice take on this month challenge Elizabeth, I like chilli's but not too hot. Stitched edges always help calm/cool our pages down a great way to bring everything together.
Glad to read in this post that all seems to be ok with the eye, keeping my fingers crossed for the next post for even more positive news..
Take care Hugs Tracey xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm happy for you that you got good news about your eye. I hope your checkup goes well. Hoorah!