Saturday, May 30, 2020

The sunflower


Today I'm once again joining Art Journal Journey and our host Mia, who many of you know as Craftartista.  As I'm sure you know by now, her theme is Flowers.  Unless something drastic happens, like I get an extra four hours in every day for the next two weeks, this will be my last entry for Mia's theme this month.

Today I give you The Sunflower.

The sunflower is the state flower of Kansas.

Birds love the seeds

in the center of the flower.

The petals are quite delicate

and the heads follow the sun across the sky each day.

For this page, I started with a background of two green Staz-on reinkers and 91% isopropyl alcohol.  I added a gifted background stamp in nine places, but the sunflower completely covered one image.  I fussy cut the sunflower from an old calendar and affixed it using glue stick.

Thanks for dropping by today.  I am really grateful for your visit and also hope to see you on your blog or at Art Journal Journey.


23 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Nice page, I love sunflowers. Guess what flowers are on my page today? Have a good one, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

If my Dad was still around he´d come to your place and beg for this beautiful work of yours, he loved sunflowers!!
His coffin was covered in mini-sunflowers.
Ever since they rather make me sad, but also I certainly always think of him and as long as we do this our lost loved ones are not really gone, right.
Thank you.

Iris Flavia said...

P.S and yes, clever "guys" they are, always going after the sun! I always love to see that.
You also always find those who are a tad slow, LOL. Remind me of my little Brother who got dreamy at the table, forgot to chew and we all had to wait for him to finish!

froebelsternchen said...

Sunflowers are the best! Gorgeous !
Loved to see your garden in the previous post!
Happy weekend!
Susi

aussie aNNie said...

wow just stunningly beautiful.xx

Sami said...

I love sunflowers, such happy flowers :)
Lovely page Elizabeth. Have a wonderful weekend :)

Barbara said...

The ultimate flower for the theme of flowers! So nice that you honored that. Really special, Elizabeth!

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous page and I love the background colour, it really makes the sunflower 'pop'.
Avril xx

Mia said...

Another gorgeous page with a big sunflower that I love and a great background. Your sunflower has so many beautiful colors, Elizabeth! Thank you so much for joining again my challenge at AJJ! And thank you so much for giving me the chance and the honour to host this challenge. Hugs, my dear friend.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

thi sunflowers is very nice and the background!
Have agood day, Elke

CJ Kennedy said...

Lovely. I planted some sunflower seeds, but Himself saw Timex digging around so I think Timex had a little snack. Enjoy your day

EL INVENTARIO DE MJ said...

Me encanta los girasoles, tengo en casa un precioso cuadro....en tonos diferente al tuyo. Es nuestra garantía.

BESOS

NatureFootstep said...

as it happens, this is one of my favorite flowers. Love your art. :)

DVArtist said...

Ohhh this is stunningly gorgeous. Well done on the flower.

Sonia said...

Stunning Sunflower! This is one of my Favorite flowers too! Had it in our yard 2 years back!

So vibrant and beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Divers and Sundry said...

Great piece! It does justice to my favorite flower :)

Lowcarb team member said...

This is just beautiful, sunflowers are such a great cheerful flower.

All the best Jan

My name is Erika. said...

I am particulary fond of sunflowers. There is something about them that says summer and home. I don't know why. So that giant sunflower on your page is super. Nice way to end this month's challenge. And can you believe it is already just about JUne. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Rita said...

Great state flower to have. They are so cheery! :)

Meggymay said...

Wow, an awesome page. I love the sunflowers, it must have taken a while to fussy cut this one. The colours you chose to mount it on look beautiful as well
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Eileen Bergen said...

Very pretty page, Elizabeth. I like the texture of your stamp.

You said birds like sunflower seeds. People do too. It's fascinating that their heads can follow the sun.

Have a lovely Sunday.

Eileen xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! This really does make for a big impact! Love the background you made to give this flower a beautiful place to be! Hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

That sunflower is a stunner. I really do love the layers you built up with color and the stamping and of course the sunflower -- well, what's not to love?!