Thursday, May 14, 2020

Rain's Thursday Art Date: Historical Events


First, I want to apologize for not visiting many of you last week.  I got sick and had trouble getting out of bed.  Second, I'm still quite ill (chills, sore throat, trouble catching my breath, sneezing, and aches I feel all over my body), but had this post nearly finished before I got sick, so wanted to share it so I could stop by and apologize to those of you who visited me last Thursday.  Finally, for those of you looking for my second Thursday tutorial, I forgot all about it, so I will post something next Thursday.  Today however, I give you the following:

It's Thursday and time for Rain's Thursday Art Date.  Although I love history, I somehow doubt I'll be able to come up with too many historical events this week.  However, while looking for inspiration from Rain, this is what I came up with.

I suppose a good place to start is the Cherry Blossom Festival held every year in March and April around the Tidal Basin in Washington D.C. (USA).

Here I show that I copied the information regarding the cherry blossom festival.

I wrote an entire history of St. Valentine's Day.

Tip-ins I made in 2019 where I talked about the history of greeting cards made just for Valentine's Day.

Cinco de Mayo is a holiday, but it also has a great history behind it.  The two Mexican flags open and have hidden messages behind them.

I created this for Memorial Day and explained the meaning behind this day, which is not to be confused with Labor Day or Veterans Day. The tombstones started as manila colored tags.

This is a tip-in made for a swap, and later added to my Mexico altered book (Sorry, but the photo was taken with my old worthless camera).  It shows the various shelves and table families lay out to honor their dead on Dia de Muertos or Day of the Dead.  There are polymer clay skulls and bones and at least one transparency.

It's fairly obvious, this went in my Mexico altered book and is tied to Dia de Muertos.

This was for a Halloween spread in my Seasons altered book.

I created this quiltlet for Veterans Day using some of my rusted fabric, hand dyed organza, and what I hoped looked like a poppy.  I explained the day is also known in some parts of the world as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day.

I created this page for my large art journal.  This is from the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

It is now known as a war crime.  I detailed the events leading up to the attack started back in July, 1853 when Commander Matthew C. Perry was sent by the U.S. to forcibly establish trade with Japan.

The Japanese totally misread the American spirit.

Once Americans were no longer at war, they took to the Drive-In.  Many Drive-Ins were more popular in the summer months than indoor theaters.  They etched their place in history, not just in the U.S.A. but in many countries across the world.  Now they are all but gone because the land is so valuable where they were once located.

And we can NEVER FORGET what the twin towers looked like just prior to being struck by the first plane on 9/11/2001.

Shifting gears,

here's a photo from our history museum.

This is from the same musuem.

From a different history museum this shows a black cloud on Wichita's (Kansas, USA) history.

All art created by me.  All photos taken by me.  Bleubeard got bored and left after a few minutes. 

Thank you beyond belief for visiting today.  I am truly grateful to you, my friends, followers, readers, and lurkers for visiting.  I am actually more than grateful, because I was unable due to my illness to visit most of you last week.  Please join me at Rain's Thursday Art Date.


24 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

Sorry you have been feeling so poorly, I hope you recover soon. Very interesting post.

Valerie-Jael said...

Hope you soon feel better, and that you are soon up and about again. You managed to put together loads of events, so that was something. Have a great day, take care, Valerie

Elkes Lebensglück said...

I am sorry that you are feeling so bad and hope that you will recover well.
Your posting is interesting what you have collected over the past.
Take care, hugs Elke

Iris Flavia said...

I love cherry trees in blossom! We have a road around the corner with them, soo beautiful.
And, yes, they remind me of Japan, hence my Dad and Mom who visited and brought gifts. I still have two here.
Again, I thank you for a history lesson our schools did not manage to give us. If I wasn´t that old, I´d choose to be a proper teacher!
I´ll post soon about a great history book I got, come one of your T-days, and yes, there is logic behind that, too :-)
Bleubeard!!! Obviously if it´s not about food, he leaves, huh? ;-) At least he tries, soo cute, I can imagine it! He just makes sure you´re having fun, I guess.

Best, best wishes to a recovery now. I´m with you, still coughing around here, tired.

craftytrog said...

An interesting post, and great to see your wonderful art Elizabeth.
Sorry you've been so poorly, I hope you're feeling much better.
The Spitfire beer was appropriate to our VE Day celebrations because the Spitfire airplane was used in the second world war, and they usually have one or more doing a fly past at the memorial services. Hope that explains 😊
Best wishes,
Alison xx

Christine said...

This is a fantastic post on history. So glad you are doing better. Elizabeth your symptoms sound like Covid you know. This thing can take 6-8 weeks to fully recover.

Barbara said...

Your quilt let is lovely! And drive-ins are still a thing in NJ although they no longer operate. Elizabeth, I’m sorry you are still so sick. Are you under the care of your doctor? Your symptoms sound somewhat suspicious of the virus. Please take good care and get help if you need it.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Elizabeth; not trying to freak you out but you should get checked for the nastee bass terd vy ruzz as da tabbies say..peace of mind if nothing else...you know.... thanx for sharing the post today...the stagecoach reminds me of the stage coach model my dad built years ago !! :) the halloween skull turned out very well

get well, get checked :) ☺☺♥♥

peppylady (Dora) said...

Hello from Idaho, this is my first time taking part in TAD and I am not sure which one I like best. But I find the quilt one interesting.
Hope you find the time to stop in for cup of coffee

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your post was a little scary as you started out ticking off symptoms that sound suspiciously like "the virus". I do hope you are feeling better ... or better yet that you have been in touch with your doctor and have been tested. Your artistic approach to history is wonderful. I love that you focused on holidays and you are so right,, I don't think I knew about the history of the Cherry Trees in Washington ... or any of the wonderful Mexican holidays. So creative ... maybe being sick stimulated your creative juices which is great as long as you get better. Be safe, see you doctor :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

My name is Erika. said...

I am so sad to hear you aren't doing well. That having trouble catching your breath scares me. You might want to get tested to see what you have...not to scare you any more than you probably already are. I really enjoyed seeing all your art also. Did you know the Japanese cherry trees almost went extinct? I don't know all the details but the book about them is on my bedside table to read. But most important for today, I am worried about you. Do take care please. Hugs-Erika

Caty said...

Dear Elizabeth , I hope you will feel better soon, if not, please call the doctor, who could go to your home and see you, please.
then I love all your Art pages you share today, thanks so much. And interesting too, is all the information you give us about Pearl Harbour.
I wish you a quiet afternoon, stay safe and big hugs,
Caty

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm sorry you've been sick and sorrier that you're not well yet, but I'm hopeful you'll be up and at'em soon :)

What a cool idea, this "art date" :)

Meggymay said...

Please look after yourself Elizabeth, I hope you will be feeling better soon and would seek medical help if you keep feeling the same as you do today.
I loved reading your post with all the information you added, the pages and art you shared are fantastic.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

CJ Kennedy said...

I enjoyed the art history. I hope you are feeling much better soon.

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely and interesting history. I do hope you get well soon.xx

froebelsternchen said...

So interesting!
Get well soon Elizabeth!

Words and Pictures said...

Oh no - that doesn't sound good at all. As Yvonne says, I think in the current circumstances I would definitely be seeking medical advice. It sounds worrying. I really hope you are taking good care of yourself.

There's so much fascinating stuff going on in this post... I love a place that lets you get a sense of travelling in time, so I like the look of the history museum. And what a fabulous stagecoach model - my mother, Cestina, needs one of those for her dollshouse museum, I think!

The drive-in page is so evocative of a particular era too - and I just adore your rusted quilt - what a gorgeous piece of work, which already looks like a vintage find, even though it's new.
Alison xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Well, as others have said please look after yourself Elizabeth, and I hope you will be feeling better soon. If your condition doesn't improve it may be a good idea to seek medical advice.

On a positive note I have enjoyed seeing your art in this post.

Sending my good wishes.

All the best Jan

Caty said...

How precious is your Art journal page Erika !! I really loove this Amazing background you have created with the stencil and the stamp of the white cranes. I love the image of the Japanese girl and the spectacular effect of mica. What a chance you have to collect them in front of your house. Those flowers are very pretty. And, I love the sign with the dog and butterfly, yes, we may be positive, every day!
I wish you a very nice weekend, stay safe and big hugs
Caty

DVArtist said...

I am playing catch up on blogging. I am so sorry you are feeling ill. I hope you are better by now and back to your old/good self.

NatureFootstep said...

wow, I think you came up a LOT for the theme this week.
Love your cherry blossoms. Beautiful to see.
And, don´t worry, You are forgiven :)

Take care, stay safe.

Jeanie said...

Those symptoms sound scary and very much like the virus so I hope you are seeing a doc and that you will get tested, just to be on the safe side. I know you've been terribly careful and it's probably just the springtime crud but please don't take any chances, my friend.

I do love all the art here -- it's very diverse and I really admire that. You work with many materials and styles and I think that's just wonderful.

Please take care of you and stay safe.

Rain said...

You came up with some brilliant history pieces Elizabeth! Thanks so much for posting about the Tidal Basin. I didn't know about that part of history and I was so pleased to read about it! There were definitely dark parts of world history and some bright parts too.I love that you added the drive-in...there are still a few in this area, though they only open once a week. One day I'd love to go to see a movie at a drive in. I hope by the time I catch up that you're feeling well! xx