Sunday, May 31, 2020

Monday Murals:


It's time to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals. Although I normally post at my regular time (midnight central time), this week I'm posting later due to the mandala I finished in the nick of time.   Sami's mural link goes live at 11:01 a.m. my time, one minute after this post goes live.


I was super happy to get out long enough to take a few photos in order to participate in Monday Murals.

I actually went looking for this mural because it is around the corner from the ones I photographed during the winter and showed the final one last week.

This was painted by Bernardo Trevizo, an artist, illustrator, animator, and painter born and raised in Wichita, Kansas. His parents are immigrants from Chihuahua, Mexico.

According to what I found on the internet,

much of what he paints is from memories of his childhood.  Further:
The environments I create are psychologically charged. The thick layers of paint carry the presence of what happened in the space. The mark-making and spatial distortions convey a sense of anxiety and panic which is a result of not facing the past. The house serves as space where all moments live from which there is no escape. Ghosted images serve as metaphors for the impressions that these events have left on me. It’s not necessary for the viewer to know what my memories are specifically about, but it can serve as a prompt for their own introspection. My objective for the viewer is to empathize with these images, and not try to decipher a specific narrative.
I didn't see a house in this, so I'm not sure to what he was referring.  This mural is found at 130 E 21st Street in Wichita, Kansas (USA).

If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.  If you stumble on a mural like several I have, Sami would love for you to share it, too.

16 thoughtful remarks:

Sami said...

It's quite beautiful Elizabeth, love the sunset colours of the background. Thanks for participating.

Tom said...

...you have found another fabulous mural featuring a Native American theme! Thanks for sharing.

Mae Travels said...

Thank you for posting more by this very intriguing artist!

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Sandra said...

What a wonderful mural. Good choice, Elizabeth.
Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful mural . Have a lovely day, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

What is being passed between the 2 men? It is fantastic mural painting. I don't know enough about these culture t understand this item. Or are they passing the torch. It's a great painting though. HAppy almost June. Hugs-Erika

Debbie at Travel with Intent said...

Quite a story here, and I love the warm and bright colours

Rita said...

I can't see a house, either. But it is bright and dramatic. :)

Iris Flavia said...

I grew up with an ice-cream on a stick called "Brown Bear", I guess.
Clichè, but it sure reminded me of that.

elsajohn said...

Hiya, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossip and web stuff and this is really annoying. A good website with interesting content, that’s what I need. Thank you for making this web site, and I’ll be visiting again. Do you do newsletters by email?
ayatul kursi

Nancy said...

Lovely color and details. But I'm with you... house? You have quite an array of these in your area.

Caty said...

This mural is amazing Elizabeth !! Love the so bright colours and every commented details, thanks so much.
Have a great week and month, big hugs
Caty

Teresa said...

Beautiful mural.

Regards, Teresa
https://mywanderings.travel.blog/

Linda said...

I like it. Looks like passing the torch. Great mural.

Divers and Sundry said...

So many Native Americans in y'all's murals. I can't remember seeing a single one here.

Jeanie said...

I love it when you can find out background about it as well. It's quite striking.