Monday, May 25, 2020

Memorial Day


Memorial Day is an American holiday, observed on the last Monday of May, honoring the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military.  This is not to be confused with Veterans Day which is in November that honors all military, both living and deceased.

Years and years ago, now largely forgotten, Memorial Day was sometimes referred to as Decoration Day.  Flags are flown and poppies are sold by veterans groups such as the American Legion, American Veterans (AMVETS), and Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW).

The red poppy officially became the national emblem of remembrance in 1920, but the resilient flower has roots that run deep, in fact all the way back to the battlefields of World War I.  Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae was particularly moved by the red flowers he saw popping up all over the European battlefields. He noticed a cluster of poppies in Flanders Field in Belgium that spring.  History records a huge battle tore through the area, killing 87,000 allied soldiers, including one of McCrae’s close friends.

Overcome with sorrow, he wrote the poem “In Flanders Field” to channel his grief. Told from the perspective of the fallen soldiers buried beneath the poppies, the poem honored the troops who died in that battle and others during the war.

I started this back in April when I was recycling everything I could think of,

including a recyclable paper mache pulp egg carton.

As an aside, these should never be used to make handmade paper.  They are made from recycled paper pulp, which is great for mache, but not handmade paper.  They usually include some form of grass product in the pulp.

It was time to finish cutting the egg carton

and cut it into flower shapes.

Because these were going to be poppies, two types of red fluid acrylics were my colors of choice. 

It took forever to paint the fronts, backs, and bottoms of these "flowers."

Some turned out looking better than others.

Originally I planned to attach them to a wooden plaque and hang them on my front porch for Memorial Day.

However, at the last minute, I realized I could enter these poppies into Mia's theme at Art Journal Journey

Here is the poem written by John McCrae:
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
 I thought I had been really careful removing all the pilling that accumulated from my using 110 lb card stock instead of water color paper.  However, it appears, after I uploaded my photos, I still missed a lot of it.


Happy Memorial Day to all my visitors from the United States.  Everyone else, have a lovely Monday and I'll see you for T time.

For this page, I began with eight of the 12 egg holder pulp cups I colored two colors of red fluid acrylic and turned them into poppies.  When dry, I colored the inside of the poppies first with black water soluble crayon, then, when dry, I added the yellow dots.  For the background, I used blue, green, black, and white water soluble crayons.  I made the cross using a gold metallic gel pen.  The poem was computer generated and printed using my laser printer.  The poppies were glued in place using E6000.

Thanks so much for joining me today, this federal holiday in the states.  I am really grateful for your visit and also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey.

16 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful creation. We learned that poem at school. I was at AJJ a lot, I'm not sure you always saw me there! Happy Memorial Day, look after your blisters. Valerie

Bertiebo said...

Yesterday there were commemorations here in the Netherlands too. The American ambassador spoke at the war cemetery in Margraten. Your poppys are great

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, boy. I just stomped on an egg holder cause recycling paper bin is full to the brim. I always do that to keep it "small" and you do such beautiful work with it, I feel bad.
In Germany poppies are but poppies and I accidentially posted some to that day.
In retrospective all we learned at school in history class was that Austrian, mean, little man who brought so much pain to the world, but not about those who stood up against him.
I hope my Nieces will get a better education, thanks to internet. To bloggers like you.
So sad my Niece´s English teacher is really bad and she hates English-class!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

A wonderful idea to remember with the egg cup and the wonderful poppies. Creative journal picture!
Greetings Elke

aussie aNNie said...

Wonderful work of art and the poppies are fab.xx

Barbara said...

Very imaginative, meaningful, and beautiful. 😊

kathyinozarks said...

This is really beautiful and thank you for sharing the history of this poem-didn't know this

My name is Erika. said...

Now that us a clever use of egg cartons! Not just for poppies, but for any flowers. All together you made a beautiful wall piece. And it is a wonderful remembrance for Memorial Day! Hope yours is a good one. No parades or celebrations here. Thanks to the crazy virus. Hugs-Erika

magiceye said...

Beautiful tribute. Very painstakingly done.

Divers and Sundry said...

It's important to note the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day. So many people don't distinguish them. I love how you made those poppy flowers! What a great idea!

CJ Kennedy said...

Clever way to repurpose the egg carton. Very poignant page.

Mia said...

Red poppies are among my favorite flowers! Great page, Elizabeth, a tribute to those who died for the country. What a clever idea to make your own poppies using the egg carton! Hugs, my friend, and thank you so much for joining again my challenge at AJJ!

Meggymay said...

I think this is a fabulous post and tribute to Memorial Day.
Making the poppies with the egg carton is a fabulous idea and the colour tones look so real.
It is a good poem as well one I know quite well from school days, its the kind that sticks in the memory and you never forget.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

This is one of my favorite poems. I almost -- not quite -- know it by heart. I love your interpretation.

No, that's not right. I don't love it -- I am beyond love for it. SO gorgeously done. And perfect for this holiday weekend, which I hope was lovely for you.

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like this poem and I love your poppies.
A great post for this special day.

All the best Jan

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a wonderful tribute and WOW! to those poppies! Hugs, Chrisx