Monday, April 13, 2020

It's quiltet time


It's been awhile since I've made a quiltlet.  I'm also linking to Valerie's Geometric Shapes theme at Art Journal JourneyAnd because flowers are found in nature, I'm also joining Try it on Tuesday's Beauty of Nature theme.

Lots of leftovers from other projects were used to make this.

I chose this lace curtain because it contained overlapping parabolas.  I cut the fabric close (not originally intended to be a pun), because this is all that was left after I created the quiltlet.

I thought the flowers

looked a bit like those in the blue jean fabric, and because they were lighter, I placed them in the background.

I cut the lace to follow the parabolas and sewed it in place.

This side didn't need to be torn, because it was the edge of a deconstructed bed sheet.

I barely had enough fabric to create the two hangers.  See what I meant by cutting it close?

This is the back of the quiltlet, showing the piece of fabric I dyed using red cabbage which ironically turned blue.

I really wanted to include this quiltlet as part of Valerie's Geometric Shapes theme at Art Journal Journey, but was worried about the size.  I wasn't sure it was large enough to qualify, and rather than try to fudge the measurements, I decided to remove the two hanger tabs and create a page in my Stress Free altered book.


To show I didn't just lay the quiltlet on the page, after I affixed everything, I stood the book upright.  The ovals were from a package of labels from Dollar Tree I purchased (with my own money) for my neighborhood association to use as name tags.  Unfortunately, there were only 24 of the 40 labels per package that could be used as name tags, and I was stuck with the rest.  I have since sourced better labels, although they cost more. The roses were stickers my friend Sally gave me.

For this page, which is Day 13 of 22, I started with a previously painted background made from free house paint, to which I added my quiltlet made from a portion of dyed bed sheet.  The quiltlet contained two pieces of left over fabric and deconstructed lace curtain.  All were sewn with blue variegated thread.  To complete the page, I used three labels and three stickers.

Bleubeard and I are thrilled you stopped by today. We hope you will also join us at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by Geometric Shapes as well as Try it on Tuesday's Beauty of Nature theme.   And don't forget to recycle something, too.

22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I love the little quiltlet, it#s a great combination of different materials and textures, well done. Thanks for linking to AJJ, too. I hope your machine has been behaving well and not breaking more needles! In some parts of Germany red cabbage is called 'Blaukraut' because it colours everything blue. Have a great day, take care, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Your creations are amazing using so many different fabrics and continuously stitching..love this

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful, I could never do that, thank you for sharing this, it made me smile :-)

Barbara said...

Very pretty. I always love fiber arts the most.

Cath Wilson said...

There is something so...soothing is the only word I can think of - about stitched fabric and especially this piece. Maybe it takes me back to a time I did a lot of sewing but it really feels good. I love your mix of fabrics here and the pocket is wonderful. I would've loved jeans pockets like that when younger, lol - with matching waistcoat... :-)

But oh, what a shame to put it into a boko and not hang it on show somewhere. It's beautiful and being blue, is even more beautiful to me!

I bet this was a very calming project, Elisabeth. It whispers 'Peace' to me... The floral fabrics remind me of curtains I've made in the past, or maybe that's because you also used net curtain, which ties them all together in my mind - and also reminds me of the beautiful net curtains I associate with France. Love your red cabbage died fabric, too - it looks blue violet on my screen and the variations in colour are lovely.

Thank you for linking to TIOT.
Cath x

Meggymay said...

Oh I love your quiltlet and all the beautiful fabrics you used.
I also thought of quieter days, slower not so rushed and perhaps stress free, or am I wishing for the moon while life throws all its might at us all these days.
Anyway its a beautiful project, perfect for Valerie's AJJ theme as well as the current Try it on Tuesdays. Thank you so much for supporting us at TioT's.
Stay safe and well.
Yvonne xx

Caty said...

Wonderful Art page Elizabeth !! Love your quilting, those fabrics are really beautiful, they fit so well together. Great little flowers in jeans.
I wish you are well, stay safe dear,
Big hugs, Caty

Mrs.B said...

This is a lovely project Elizabeth and I love the mix of fabrics you used. (I hope your sewing machine is now behaving itself)
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday.
Avril x

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I love this piece and placing it in for a journal page-genius-I love recycling too Happy Monday Kathy

CJ Kennedy said...

It's raining out and supposed to turn very stormy later this afternoon. Your quiltlet looks so cozy and would be the perfect wrap watching the storm from the comfy chair

Karen said...

Great Project ~ Lot's of color and texture and a great way to make scraps more beautiful. Enjoy your day!

Cindy McMath said...

Lovely little project, and I really love it in the journal!

DVArtist said...

ohhh I just love this! Gives me some ideas. You are so talented and cleaver.

Divers and Sundry said...

This is such a sweet piece :) I love the colors and design. Those little flowers! The lace :) Wonderful!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth! I'm not doing well in the visiting stakes at the moment - I got a bee in my bonnet about getting rid of some of my mountains of paper work which occasional gets interrupted by events here too!
I'm so pleased I saw this, as you know I love your quiltlets and to see this converted to a page is wonderful!
Thank you so much for joining us again at TIOT, Hugs, Chrisx

Eileen Bergen said...

I love the little quiltlet and how you made it into a journal page. You made me reach into my memory bank from HS geometry for parabola.

You deconstuct sheets?! I save and re-use them for other tasks; but I've never taken one apart to use elsewhere. Kudos to you. Elizabeth!
Eileen xx

Jeanie said...

I remember your sweet quiltlets. I'm so glad you did another one. It looks really nice in the journal.

I do hope you had a nice Easter, Elizabeth. And thank you so much for your wonderful comments and visits. I don't say it enough but I'm always so grateful when you come by!

My name is Erika. said...

The quiltlet looks fabulous in your stress free journal. It gives the page great texture and interest. And of course it was a cool quiltlet too. Hope it was a good Monday. Hugs-Erika

Susan Kane said...

As a quilter, I love it. the colors and fabric patterns make me happy.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

This is a nice one; special project, fits perfectly to the topic of geometry, at Journal, Elizabeth!!!
Have a good Day, hugs Elke

WendyK said...

How lovely to see a stitched piece, very different. I hope you are keeping well, stay safe. xx

Marjut said...

Fantastic! Thank you for joining us at Try it on Tuesday.