Wednesday, April 22, 2020

It's bEARTHday


Today is Earth Day the world over, but in my world it's bEARTHday.  I hope you've at least heard of Earth Day, because it's an environmental movement, first celebrated 50 years ago today.  Although every day should be Earth Day, this is the day we celebrate and show our respect for the earth. It's the day we call attention to all the "R" words like recycle, recover, rethink, re-invent, repurpose, remake, redesign, reuse, reclaim, and recraft, while we reduce waste going to our landfills and recycle centers.


In case you don't live in one of more than 192 countries that celebrate Earth Day, here is a reminder of what Earth Day is all about.

Back in 1969, while America was in the throes of the Vietnam War, which some may remember, a group of anti-war movement students got together, and decided, with the help of then Senator Gaylord Nelson (June 4, 1916 – July 3, 2005), to have an environmental teach-in.  Before the event, the name was changed to Earth Day and was first held on April 22, 1970.   It was decided at that time to hold the event every year on April 22.

The time seemed right to Nelson, because of the 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill and the deterioration of the environment in general.  

Santa Barbara oil spill as reported by NBC News.
After all, many groups had already been fighting against oil spills, toxic waste and sewage, polluting power plants and factories, pesticides, a growing ozone, air pollution, massive freeways, timber cuts beyond control, loss of wildlife, and a shrinking wilderness.  It was time to bring all those groups together, since there always seems to be safety in numbers.  And the numbers were there, too, since many web sites claim over 20 million people in the United States celebrated the first Earth Day.

After that, it didn't take the United States Congress long to create the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), pass the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, the Endangered Species Act, the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act, and several laws to protect wilderness areas.  According to Earth Day Org:
These laws have protected millions of men, women and children from disease and death and have protected hundreds of species from extinction.

The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) was created within three years after Nelson’s April 22, 1970 Earth Day celebration.   (Image from AP Environmental Science)

Fast forward to 1990.  That was the first day Earth Day went global.  Also according to Earth Day Org:
This time, Earth Day went global, mobilizing 200 million people in 141 countries and lifting environmental issues onto the world stage. Earth Day 1990 gave a huge boost to recycling efforts worldwide and helped pave the way for the 1992 United Nations Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro. It also prompted President Bill Clinton to award Senator Nelson the Presidential Medal of Freedom — the highest honor given to civilians in the United States — for his role as Earth Day founder.
For Earth Day 2000, the power of the internet was used to persuade people from all nations to understand and recognize global warming and to promote ways to produce clean energy.

Earth Day 2010 saw a genuine shift in attitudes.  Further, according to Earth Day Org:
As in 1970, Earth Day 2010 came at a time of great challenge for the environmental community to combat the cynicism of climate change deniers, well-funded oil lobbyists, reticent politicians, a disinterested public, and a divided environmental community with the collective power of global environmental activism.
It was time to ignore the platitudes and nay-sayers.  It was time to once again engage the public and get people interested in the environment again. It was time to do something about climate change.

Fast forward to 2020.  Although we are all stuck in our own homes, Earth Day 2020 must be far more than a day.  It's amazing how the air is cleaner, the earth beneath our feet (the seismic shift) is settling less, and our rivers are getting cleaner.  However, that is ONLY because of the lock down most of us are experiencing.  Once we go back to our new normal, will this all be for naught?

Although I don't like to publicly rail against the president, the leader of our country, there are certain things I absolutely cannot sit still for.  Here is what he has done to our country in the way of environmental concerns over the past three years.
After 47 plus years of clean water, clean air, limited off-shore drilling, protected wildlife areas, protected forests, and reduced toxic substances, the Trump administration has effectively removed or greatly reduced the protections that have been in place all these years.  In fact, Trump and his administration have made eliminating federal regulations a priority.  In case you are interested in learning more about these numbers, please go here or here to learn the complete analysis and information about the rollbacks.  If Senator Nelson were alive, he would be appalled.

EDIT:  I just found this tonight on the internet.  I think it's timely.

Some people aren't taking it lying down, though.  For example automakers who were given wide latitudes on emissions are fighting back, saying they prefer the lower emission rates instead of being allowed more latitude on emissions.

Let me just say, I am not now, nor have I ever been a tree huger, although I've been known to put my arms around a tree or two in my lifetime.  You won't catch me wearing Birkenstock.  Nor will I join PETA.  However, I will do my part to keep my little corner of the world clean, while attempting to lower and eventually eliminate my global carbon footprint.

Today is also a good time to reflect on my own love of, and respect for, the environment.   I've been known to stand up for my parks, the two rivers that define my neighborhood, and the fact that I try to use what I buy, rather than tossing it in the trash or recycle bin.  The fact that I was born on this great day we celebrate our Earth, and that people call me "Dr. E, Queen of Free," adds to my resolve.

Do I have you motivated yet?  Are you watching from the sidelines, or actively taking part in climate change and doing your part for the environment?  Are you turning off lights when you leave the room?  Are you turning off the water when you wash your hands for at least 20 seconds (and every time you brush your teeth)?  If so, it's definitely time to party and you are invited to mine!!

Today is my bEARTHday party.  There are hats,

cake, and balloons.  I'll even be taking a few photos

The words I wrote are a disaster.   Not just because I hate my handwriting,

but because I used a green metallic gel pen that definitely didn't show the sentiment: It's bEARTHday.

At least the globe, a clear cling stamp, which was gifted me by Valerie, who is also our host this month at Art Journal Journey is a Geometric Shape.  I'm sure she'll find several more Geometric Shapes, too. 

Everyone is having a good time.

I suspect this represents a birthday in the 1950s.  I didn't check the caption before I cut the cover photos from a gifted Reminisce Magazine, but it looks like pictures I've seen from that era.

Some of the globes stamped better than others.

It appears the father was not having as much fun as the two mothers seemed to be having.

There was lots of laughter and mischief by a few of the boys.


 
Wasn't this a fun party.  The first party I remember having was in the early 1980s, but I had as much fun as these children did, too.

For Day 22 of 22 that I created in my Stress Free altered book, I started this two page spread by laying down a sheet of recycled tissue paper that came as part of a gift sent to me last month by Jeanie.  While it was drying, I cut the images from a recent Reminisce Magazine my friend Sally saved for me instead of sending it to a charity shop like she does most of her magazines.  I then taped the images behind five security envelopes.  I didn't account for the fact these images would be extremely difficult to photograph.  Once the envelopes were cut to size, I stamped the globe on four of the five envelopes.  I then added the balloons and the washi tape (camera and happy day).  Next, I stamped three globes on the tissue paper, which was harder than I originally realized.  Finally, I wrote the words you can't read using a green metallic gel pen.

Thank you for joining me during these 22 days of recycling.  I am grateful for your visits and your thoughtful comments.  I'm also thrilled so many of you visited daily.  I hope I have given you a few ideas of items you can recycle that don't cost a lot of money in the end.  Today I recycled a partial sheet of tissue paper, five security envelopes, and images from a gifted magazine.  Not recycled were the inks I used to stamp the globe, three balloon stickers, and two washi tapes.

I hope you will also join us at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by Geometric Shapes

33 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Happy Birthday and happy Earth day Elizabeth! I won't get stated on Trump, let's keep the day happy.... Love your spread and thanks for linking to AJJ again. I found lots of geometric forms....Enjoy your day, Valerie

Helen said...

Happy Birthday, and bEarth day too. Great spread; I hope your real party is as successful, even though I suspect you will just have 2 guest who won't sit still for the photos! take care my friend.

Iris Flavia said...

First of all: A very happy bEARTHday to you!! To a wonderful... well... you know what I mean:To a wonderful new year once this crisis is over! To health and happiness! And love.

Reducing waste, ha, if we just could! They even put most fresh cucumbers in plastic at the stores.
And yes, there are stores, where you can bring your own containers to get your food. Sadly Hubby saw a docu that most of those - very expensive providing stores - get their stuff in plastic and just unwrap it before selling.

My goodness. How come it took so long to have Earth Day all over??? But why is shutting down lights just for an hour? Reckon most people have forgotten about it an hour later again.... Thank you for the history of it, I didn´t know!

Birkenstock, sorry, that made me laugh! To me it´s just a German shoe company.
Worst I witnessed was in a caravan park - over weeks, too - where women turned on the shower, then slowly took off their clothes and then finally showered endlessly, despite water restrictions were on, whilst their husbands washed the cars outside.
What.For? It is hot in Australian summer, and even in winter here in Germany I get undressed before turning on the water. I turn it off when using shampoo and soap, too.
Yes, I do care. We have - oh, now shoot me... very low energy stuff and take it off, when not needed. I always shut down my PC etc, and I think that is just normal behaviour, too.

I love your party pages!
I had my last Birtday party at age 14 and then I told Mum: NO MORE! I hate to be the POI. And in winter it´s even less fun, being stuck inside with stupid games ;-)

Guess you´ll remember this one as a special one. Everything bad might have something good, right?

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Happy Birthday dear Elizabeth, popping on over just before I sign off for the morning to wish you a beautiful day. How the Earth must be smiling right now whilst we are all kept indoors or under tighter restrictions, the air already smells much sweeter after a few weeks. I worry about everything and bend over backwards to be resourceful if only those at the top could all work together as one, take money out of the equation and just leave our world be..
Happy B earth Day, have a fabulous day, the sun is shining here today Tracey xx
P.S I did smile at the Father tapping his watch.. reminded me of my Grandfather from my Father's side with his "children should be seen & not heard values" xx

aussie aNNie said...

wowzer what an amazing post as always full of interest and extraordinary reading.xx

Karen said...

Happy Earth-birth-day! Great info, and a wonderful recycled spread ~ Enjoy your day!

My name is Erika. said...

Happy happy birthday Elizabeth! That is quite the art party. I wish I had some of those envelopes because you are inspiring me a lot using them. And all those cakes! That is a celebration fit for not only when this pandemic ends but to celebrate Earth day. Also, of course, your birthday! And I love your story and political write up about the earth day history and our present troubles. Make America Great Again means sending us back before any environmental protections and making the earth not such a good place. I won't go on my political soapbox, but you can send me a slice of one of those art cakes. Smile. Have a wonderful day my friend and I hope your birthday is something special, even with the lockdown.

CJ Kennedy said...

Happy BEARTHday to you! 🎂💐🎈🎉🎁 Fun pages. I hope you enjoy your special day. As to reducing carbon footprints, we recycle (though I doubt all that we recycle is truly recycled. I think it still ends up in a landfill as there's so much recycling and the process is still expensive) We have also gone solar. Our solar panels supply electricity to the house and a solar battery. So for several hours each day, we are totally off the electricity grid.

nwilliams6 said...

Happy Birthday, and the pages are so fun and so focused on your topics of the earth and your birthday. Love the pictures and all your fun facts! Such a great post!!!!

RO said...

Happy Happy BEARTHday! I'm eating some cake and dancing along on your day long distance, and appreciating your friendship and kindness. May your day be as special as you are! Hugs and more hugs, RO

Barbara said...

Happy bEarthday, Elizabeth! Thank you for your gift to us, the history and important meaning of Earth day. Amen to every word you wrote. Lovely and important pages with the globe stamp reminder.

Meggymay said...

Happy Earth day and Happy Birthday Elizabeth.
I was interested in the content of the post and what you told us was going on in the USA,
The party pages look so inviting , everyone having fun and enjoying being together. One day we will get back to normal in the meanwhile we can hope for the future.
With folk staying home there is for sure less traffic on our roads here, that has to be a big plus, Folk are wasting less and making use of what they have in store. Many don't seem to be able to manage this, perhaps the current situation will get them to think again before throwing something away.
I do hope you have a good day my friend .
Its our eldest's birthday today as well, in our phone call this morning I was reminded I owe him a celebration dinner .
Take care, stay safe and well.
Yvonne xx

kathyinozarks said...

Happy Birthday and Earth Day Elizabeth Great pages
Hope you can make yourself some favorite foods today hugs

craftytrog said...

Happy bEARTHday Elizabeth! I love your party page, it's fabulous! And it's good to be reminded of what Earth Day is all about.
Enjoy your day,
Hugs,
Alison xx

Sandra Cox said...

First. Happy BEarthday, dear Elizabeth. I'll take a piece of that chocolate cake:)
I think this may be the best post you've done and you've done some great ones.
What he's done is inexcusable.

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy Birthday! and many more :) I trust your day blesses you with hope and joy :)

I remember the first Earth Day. Exciting! And now I wonder where the excitement went :( I know we've come a long way, but not nearly far enough considering what's at stake. I feel so discouraged :( And, as you say, Trump has steadily gutted standards as he was able, and that continues. How can anybody see that as a good thing? Your chart is a helpful visual.

I'm not a partier, so joining you virtually suits me fine :) Cake!!!

Linda Kunsman said...

Such a wonderful post on Earth Day, and the "R"s, and your virtual bearthday party!!! Thank you for sharing so many tips on recycling and being proactive. And a very happy, happy bearthday to you-cheers!

Caty said...

Happy Birthday dear Elizabeth !! ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥ and happy B-Earth-day too ♥. I hope you are enjoying this so special and great day.
I love your post, it is very interesting, thank you very much for sharing it, you are right, we must take great care of our land, the environment, and recycle everything we can. I am in on mode regarding recycling.
I really like your spread page, it is very happy, and I would love to be at that party, it is fantastic!
I send you a big hug in the distance,
Take care
Caty

Mia said...

Thank you for sharing the history of Earth Day, Elizabeth.
I love your beautiful page will collage. And the stamp from Valerie is perfect for your page.
Hugs, sweetie, and please check your email.

Cindy McMath said...

Happy B-EARTH-DAY Elizabeth! Love your pages and have enjoyed all your recycling projects this month and your guest artists too. Hope you had a great day. Stay safe! Xo

Rita said...

Happy bEARTHday, Elizabeth!
I actually hold McConnell and the senate even more responsible for destroying all the environmental safety acts. Trump will sign anything they bring up to him that benefits corporations. (He doesn't read.) I find it all so distressing. Even if we get Trump out if we don't get McConnell out and change the senate...nothing will change really.
Sorry--not a very happy birthday comment.

Neet said...

Happy Bearthday - I am definitely coming to your party. In fact I turn the tap off during my hand washing (whilst soaping up and rubbing every part of my fingers/hands etc). Love the party, it looks to be very happy and the food looks quite delicious too.
Thank you for all the information on Earth Day. I do know of it but was not sure what or why it arrived in our calendars. Well done you for informing us.
Hugs, Neet xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Happy Birthday dear Elizabeth! Thank you for all the interest in Earth Day that you show us!
Wonderful journalpage!
Hugs Elke

Jeanie said...

A day late but no less sincere! Happy Birthday, Elizabeth! Don't you treasure every single one? I find I do -- since there are fewer to come, I believe in celebrating the heck out of it! Love the page and of course all the Earth Day things too. Here's hoping both you and the Earth have a good new year.

Dianne said...

Sorry I'm late wishing you a happy birthday! loving your stunning pages, and especially the window envelopes...I am not sure why, but they just make me smile. Hope your day was special in some way...even with just a satisfying cup of tea and furry friends to share it with. virtual hugs from Ohio!

DVArtist said...

Fabulous, Fabulous, Fabulous post.

Lisca said...

Happy Bearthday dear Elizabeth! I don't think you will forget this birthday in a hurry, even though your party was only on paper.
I enjoyed the party. Had to smile at daddy looking at his watch!
Also thank you for explaining about Earth Day. I never knew about Earth Day until I started to visit your T party.
I had an American boyfriend in 1970. He was the first to teach me about pollution and the state of the planet etc. That was also the year of the student protest and the students killed in Kent university. I remember we talked a lot about that as well.
Bye for now Dr E.,
See you on Tuesday,
stay safe,
Lisca

Sami said...

Happy belated birthday Elizabeth. Sorry I've been awol the last couple of days, just doing things around the house and spending time away from the computer.
Hope you had a lovely day.
I'm with you, even though I don't participate in protests or join certain environmental agencies, I still try and do my bit to make the planet better.
It's very sad what Trump has done, unfortunately I think most Americans don't care about that and he will be reelected :(

pearshapedcrafting said...

A very belated Happy Birthday Elizabeth (I did send you an e-card) Things have been a bit hectic here with making food orders, having visitors - at a distance, spending time with Tony and comforting my son in his loss of a dear friend. Today I showed Tony how to do image transfers!
What a strange man your president is...the latest today about injecting disinfectant surely can't be true?
He has caused so much destruction ! I too am hoping that the Earth is having a good rest and that lessons are being learnt!
I love the party photos in your page - were they THE days??
I hope you had a lovely day - as some one said to Tony -you won't forget this birthday!

Hugs, Chrisxx

Halle said...

Happiest of birthdays to you! I always enjoy your bEARTHday posts. You are such a natural educator. I always learn a little something.

Words and Pictures said...

A great post celebrating bEARTHday and all it has achieved in its 50 years - and also a fabulous double page virtual party to celebrate your very own bEARTHday... cake and hats and all - you deserve all of it and more.
Alison x

Where To Buy Stamps said...


For extraordinary buy stamps tips have a look on our profile Information about stamps

ElizabethR said...

I love this! I started doing altered book just this year. Since I was trying to avoid stores due to the virus, am working with found supplies. I have four adult/teen children, so I have a lot of random art supplies around the house to use!