Saturday, March 28, 2020

Show me the money


I'm back with another spread for Art Journal Journey.  Our host Eileen whose blog is The Artful Crafter reminded us when she shared her inspiration piece on Art Journal Journey's home page, that the color Green, her theme this month, is often associated with money and finances.

With that in mind, I created this spread I'll add to my Stress Free altered book.

I hope you can see Lincoln is telling us "In Money We Trust."  For my international friends, this large image is a penny, similar to a pence.  I have no idea how that translates in Euros.  It's the smallest denomination we have.

I was able to add a bit of green when I used play money from a Milton Bradley game.  The cent sign (looks a bit like a "C") is not even available on a standard QWERTY keyboard.  It is a reflective sign that I got one year at the thrift store.

I hand wrote the sentiment.

It reads "Show me the money," the title of today's post.

For this page, which I cut from one of my altered books as I was prepping it, I laid down two very realistic looking $10.00 bills and one green play money.  Next came the reflective cent sign, over which I laid the large penny cut from a numismatics magazine.  Finally, I added the sentiment I wrote using a green metallic gel pen.

Thank you so much for stopping by today.  I am most grateful for your continued support of my art.  I also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey.

21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun idea for a page. I had to think of the phrase, 'The love of money is the root of all evil', which my auntie Fanny always quoted. I rarely have enough to either love or hate it! Have a great day, stay safe, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous page...stay safe lovely lady and thinking of you...

Iris Flavia said...

It´s a cent here in Europe and we have QWERTZ, the Y is in the last row to the left. I always struggle when I use my Australian Lenovo that has your QWERTY.
Really, why???
I remember back in the early 2000-somethings we were in Cuba and I wanted to let my Brother know via e-mail we arrived safely. Every 10 minutes did start with new costs at the PC and I sat there. Where and how do I do an "@"??? Where is the "z"... took me forever ;-)

Awesome penny! 1943! A treasure!

"In money we trust" - not here anymore... "Abe" would be disappointed...

Meggymay said...

A super take on Eileen's theme, I'd not thought of that angle and it does look like the coin had more value that it actually had. Its a fabulous page and made me think about how green and envy as well as greed could be grouped together.
Take care , stay safe and well my friend.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

Very clever, Elizabeth!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wonderful idea Elizabeth. Great looking collage.

DVArtist said...

You are so creative and you have amazing hand writing. It is so pretty. There seems to be something special about that penny too. Great piece today. Be safe and elbow hugs.

kathyinozarks said...

Awesome page!!
Happy weekend-stay safe hugs

Mia said...

A penny is a cert, Elizabeth. 100 cents are equal to 1 euro.
I lllllllove your new page, my dear friend. Great inspiration,sweetie. Please stay home and be safe.

CJ Kennedy said...

Reminds me of a quote from a movie, though I forget which one, In God we trust, all others pay cash. That 1943 penny might be worth something if it's made out of copper. The US Mint issued pennies made of tin during the war years as copper was needed for the war effort

Cindy McMath said...

This is a great page Elizabeth! Love the composition. Did you know that Canada no longer circulates pennies? So if I pay cash for something it is rounded up or down to the closest nickel (using simple rounding with $0.02 or less rounding down, and $0.03 or more rounding up). If you pay with debit or credit card (or online with something like PayPal) you pay the actual amount. Just a little money trivia for you! Hope you have a lovely day and are keeping well and staying safe.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Fabulous page!!!
It's a great idea.
I wish you a good weekend and stay healthy!
Greetings Elke

My name is Erika. said...

I am surprised no one has done money yet. I love the giant penny. That is a really cool image. I like the idea of a no stress album also. This is a great idea for a stress free page and it looks great. Hope you are having a good weekend. hugs-Erika

Rita said...

Green and money. That would be the first thing that would come to my mind but it certainly is a good choice. Clever. :)

Words and Pictures said...

Excellent post title for your financial page - and a really great idea for the Green theme. Wouldn't work in the UK, mind you - none of our notes are green! Fab collaging of all those notes and coins and symbols, and I really love the book page background.
Alison x

nwilliams6 said...

I totally forgot about the finances part of green. I love that you did not. The penny is sooo cool. My hubby gets lots of coin things so I will need to save them and use them in my journaling. Fun page. TFS

froebelsternchen said...

Such a clever idea ELizabeth! A Penny from 1943! A real treasure!

Divers and Sundry said...

"Show me the money" is an interesting take on green as most are focusing on spring growth. It's nice to see something different :) Here's a 9-second show-me-the-money clip from the Jerry Maguire film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCgy0dphOGc It sounds like they'll be wanting more than pennies ;)

Eileen Bergen said...

What a great cynical page, Elizabeth. I miss the cent sign too. Now we either have to type the word or use the $ sign and add "0." I suppose in a few more years, no one under 20 will even recognize this symbol.

Thank you for sharing another wonderful page at Art Journal Journey.

Have a Lovely Sunday. Stay safe and well.

Eileen xx

craftytrog said...

Fantastic collage art! I love it!
Alison xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Well done, a good idea :)

All the best Jan