Sunday, February 23, 2020

Nesting


Today I'm once again joining Art Journal Journey with my Hearts theme.  I'm also joining Try it on Tuesday where their theme is Recycle Something,

I call this "Nesting."

The little bird is nesting

inside the heart.

I got a bit carried away with this heart, too.

I added glitter paint to the nest and the bird. Maybe our glittery bird will attract a magpie.

I built the heart up, layer after layer

after layer.

It depended on the light and how it hit the bird

whether you could see

the glitter or not.

The same was true for the background which consisted of several of my handmade shimmering mists.

For this page, I began with 110 lb card stock to which I sprayed several of my mists.  I cut a heart from a cracker box which I pulled from the recycle bin.  I tore strips of fabric from an old bed sheet I often use in my art.  I tore and cut small squares from the sheet, then layered the pieces over the cardboard heart.  Each layer had to dry before I could add the next, or, as I found after the first layer, the weight of the wet PVA glue and fabric kept the "nest" from building up.  When I was satisfied with the height of the nest, I cut the excess straggles from around the cardboard heart.  I cut the bird freehand after I outlined it from a die cut I had been gifted.  The bird was cut from an old card that once lived in a drawer of the card catalogue.  My friend Pamela gifted me with the card and I put it to a very different use than even I originally envisioned.    Next I painted the bird with glitter paint and hit the high spots of the heart with the same paint.  When the bird was dry, I added it to the nest and glued the entire assembly to the journal page.  Finally, I computer generated the sentiment, to which I added the same glitter paint.

In case it was hard to tell, for Try it on Tuesday both the cardboard I used as the base of the heart and the old bed sheet I used to create the nest, were recycled.  Even the card used to make the bird, although new to me, was recycled/repurposed.

Thanks so much for stopping by today. Your visit means the world to me.  I hope to also see you at Art Journal Journey and Try it on Tuesday



23 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page, the little bird looks very contented in his nest. Lovely idea, have a great day, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Adorable nesting heart so lovely is this one.xx

Rosie said...

A beautiful page, Elisabeth.

Thank you for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY

Iris Flavia said...

Before I start I have to say: Your banner makes me smile every time.
Bluebeard is just gorgeous.
I sadly haven´t seen the black stray in our street again. Hope he is well.


Recycling. I know what you mean, yet... I "produced" so much plastic and paper only yesterday, it´s a pain... I probably should take a pic. Germany is bad... and you cannot use it for art even (me. not).


Yours piece of art is AWESOME!
Do you sell it? (a real question here)

Meggymay said...

I am so happy to see all the photo shots you took of this awesome page. The heart shaped nest made with material pieces looks fantastic and I am sure it will be a comfortable home for the bird and her family. The shimmer mists have given the page a lovely soft glow.
Thank you for all these amazing ideas on recycling you are sharing with us at Try it on Tuesdays and of course for yours and Bleubeards theme over at Art Journal Journey.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

OK. I think this is my favorite page this month. Wow Elizabeth. I love the texture and the idea is really clever. ❤️ You outdid yourself with this one. I’m being totally serious too. In case you might think I am not. It is really original. Thanks for joining as at TIOT and being a super guest host and I am glad you had the patience to complete this. Happy Sunday. Hugs Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Sweet page. I can see the heart shaped nest, but also seems to be a heart shaped hole in a tree. Fun effect going back and forth. I like the glitter on the page, too.

Divers and Sundry said...

Precious! I love the little bird nesting in that heart, and I love how you nestled it in there. Sweet :)

DVArtist said...

Wow this is really beautiful. I am taken with how you placed the materials to make it all come together. Well done my friend.

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like how you've done this …
That little bird looks so sweet, and very happy :)

All the best Jan

Sandra Cox said...

This one was very clever and creative. Loved it.

Susan Kane said...

So lovely, so tender.

froebelsternchen said...

This is simply AMAZING Elizabeth! Gorgeous!!! I love all about it!

Elkes Lebensglück said...

This is beautiful your journal, I am thrilled and fascinated by it, oh so sweet the little bird!
greetings elke

Birgit said...

I am so dopey today that it took me a while to see the bird! I love this bird with glitter on the edge nesting in your heart. so sweet and poetic

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love this little bird in his heart nest! Great idea and lovely colours! Hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

I think that's perfect. A bird, a nest and a heart. Three things I adore!

craftytrog said...

Wow! I absolutely love this page with your recycled nest and bird! Fantastic! xx

Cindy McMath said...

Great card and nest - clever! I am enjoying the great variety of hearts you’re showing this month.

Unknown said...

In this manner my pal Wesley Virgin's adventure launches with this SHOCKING AND CONTROVERSIAL video.

You see, Wesley was in the army-and shortly after leaving-he unveiled hidden, "self mind control" tactics that the government and others used to obtain anything they want.

As it turns out, these are the same SECRETS many celebrities (especially those who "became famous out of nothing") and elite business people used to become wealthy and famous.

You probably know that you only use 10% of your brain.

Really, that's because the majority of your brain's power is UNTAPPED.

Maybe that conversation has even occurred INSIDE your very own brain... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's brain 7 years back, while driving an unregistered, garbage bucket of a car with a suspended driver's license and $3.20 on his bank card.

"I'm so fed up with going through life check to check! When will I get my big break?"

You took part in those questions, isn't it so?

Your own success story is going to be written. All you have to do is in YOURSELF.

Take Action Now!

nwilliams6 said...

Love the nest heart you made and the bird is wonderful. Some great ideas here - I always feel so inspired after visiting you!!!!!

Unknown said...

You should see how my acquaintance Wesley Virgin's story starts in this shocking and controversial VIDEO.

Wesley was in the military-and shortly after leaving-he found hidden, "self mind control" tactics that the CIA and others used to get everything they want.

These are the EXACT same SECRETS lots of celebrities (especially those who "come out of nowhere") and top business people used to become wealthy and famous.

You've heard that you utilize only 10% of your brain.

Mostly, that's because the majority of your brainpower is UNCONSCIOUS.

Maybe this thought has even taken place INSIDE your own head... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's head around seven years back, while driving a non-registered, trash bucket of a car without a license and $3 on his debit card.

"I'm so frustrated with going through life check to check! When will I finally make it?"

You've taken part in those types of thoughts, ain't it right?

Your own success story is waiting to happen. All you need is to believe in YOURSELF.

Learn How To Become A MILLIONAIRE Fast

Mrs.B said...

Another lovely page and that little bird looks very happy in his recycled cozy nest.
Thanks for all your help at TioT
Avril xx