Saturday, January 25, 2020

Happy New Year


Chinese New Year, that is!  It's also perfect for Jo's from Let's Art Journal theme which is Something New.  She's our host this month at Art Journal Journey.

In case you can't tell, this is the Year of the Rat.  It is the first of the 12 signs.  The celebration actually lasts 15 days and culminates on February 8.

Although there are 12 signs, there are actually 60 different cycles.

They are designated by color, element, and Yin/Yang (female/male).

The colors are white, black, green, red, and brown.  The elements are fire, earth, wood, water, and metal (which is gold).  Yin and Yang alternate, and the Rat is always male.  In 2020, the Rat is white, metal, and male.

The Rat is ambitious, yet honest.  The Rat is prone to spend freely and often makes lasting relationships.

Color is white, metal is

white gold, and the Rat is always male.

On January 25, the first day of the New Year, Year 4718 begins.

New Year celebrations last 15 days,

and each day celebrates something different.  The Chinese call it the Spring Festival.

The Lantern Festival concludes the New Year Spring Festival celebrations on February 8.

Happy Chinese new year!  Year of the Rat

begins on January 25, 2020 in China.

I created this spread in my new altered book.  I used two Joss papers (course bamboo paper that feels handmade and often contains gold elements).  Traditionally these are meant to be burned in ceremonies as an offering to deities,.  I also included two Chinese calendar pages that are sold alongside Joss papers.   The Rat was scanned from the Zodiac page I kept from a Chinese restaurant I visited last year.  The 2020 Rat was found on the internet and the words were computer generated.

Thanks so much for joining me today as we celebrate Chinese New Year, 2020.  You'll also find me at Art Journal Journey with my spread for Jo's theme Something New.

21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful spread for the Chinese New Year!. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Love Chinese New Year and a beautiful post...hugs.

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a fabulous page! I loved reading all the information which you depicted beautifully with all the details that you added - amazing 😁. Thanks so much for celebrating the Chinese New Year with us over at Art Journal Journey! Happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Lovely art journal pages Elizabeth. And I like your rat candle.

CJ Kennedy said...

Such a festive spread, and I liked learning some of the facts about the Year of the Rat. Your rattie candle is cute, too. Gong Hei Fat Choy!

Divers and Sundry said...

Beautiful! The bright and shiny colors are really eye-catching!

Caty said...

This is a gorgeous spread page Elizabeth !! I like very much every detail you have added to the page, the colours are really beautiful. Wooww 4718 years !! it´so much time. love your grey rat ! Wish also a Happy new year .
Happy weekend, and biiig hugs,
Caty

Jeanie said...

This spread really captures the energy, color and feel of the New Year.

Meggymay said...

Its a fabulous page for the Chinese New Year, the detail and extra information were really interesting and i liked the ornament of the rat.
Yvonne xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

wonderful Work for the Chinese New Year!
Happy weekend, Elke

My name is Erika. said...

That is cool and very cute rat you have there. He helps adore that cool page. I like all those images you used and the joss paper. It is certainly a good sign (even though rats don't excite me) because I was born in the year of the rat (and this will be a good year for me! I certainly hope so at least!) I love the gold lanterns. And interesting it is many years ahead of our counting-that I did not know. Hope it was a good day! And happy lunar new year too. Hugs-Erika

Cindy McMath said...

Love the page and your rat candle! The rat with the calligraphy-style year is really quite cool and the other one is really cute. The red and gold are great colours for Chinese New Year! Gung Hay Fat Choy!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Brilliant page for this colourful celebration! When our grandchildren were younger we used to go to see the Dragon Parade in town. I love reading the information around the year of the rat....and quite surprised to see a candle shaped like a rat! Hugs, Chrisx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Morning Elizabeth, oh it's Joss paper I always wondered what that paper was called. You've created a super journal spread for CNY the combination of rich red and gold always reminds me of the celebration so precious to bring luck and a beautiful treat for our eyes always. CNY was always in my planning for my pre-school groups they used to love making lanterns.
Thank you for sharing you always give a little extra to us all.
Hope you are looking after yourself, try not to over do it please.
Hugs Tracey xx
P.S Love the ratty candle :))

Iris Flavia said...

Oh!! This reminds me of last year! (I still don´t have a cat, though!!!).
And I´m a rat, btw (sadly not with the cooking-abilities one certain one has...).
And I´m not that cute ;-)
But, according to your explanations, it´s good to be a rat. Having a brother who is also a goldsmith sure helps, too.
And White gold, ohhhh! It is very special to me, if you are interested, read this, it´s about my Dad.

A happy "ratty" New Year to you! I think tomorrow I´ll buy a rat! (as in a toy)

Sami said...

Happy Chinese New Year to you Elizabeth. Your page is very nice. I'm petrified of rats but the candle is cute.
Like Iris, I'm a rat too :) Oh why, when I'm so scared of them? lol

Iris Flavia said...

Sami!!! :-) Us rats do our best, no?
Oh, just watch Ratatouille and you´ll love rats :-)

Eileen Bergen said...

I've almost finished my year of the rat page for Jo's challenge. So I did a lot of research like you. Some of mine is a little different - darn! "The rat is always male," ain't that the truth? Just kidding.

Fabulous informative page! Happy year of the rat! Eileen xx

P.S. I love your rat candle.

Words and Pictures said...

Fabulous gilded page and so many fascinating details about the Chinese horoscope and celebrations. I know I'm a Rooster, but I don't know much beyond that... I'll have to do some more Googling when I have time!
Alison x

Aimeslee Winans said...

Gorgeous spread, love the gold red. Happy Chines New Year! xoxo

Neet said...

First of all I hope you are feeling much better.
Lovely way to start the journal with such a strong page as this. I love how you have used the blocks of colour and each has meaning for the Chinese New Year which you have explained to us. Thank you for all this information. I am fascinated by this country, culture etc.
When we used to visit my friend in America we always went in to LA for the Chinese New Year Parade. The first time we went I had no idea it would be so huge, it took ages to pass by us but what a lovely happy time it was. Although my friend never came with us we always took a friend of hers - or did she take us? The last time I went I had to buy one of the Unicorn puppets they sell and he hangs in my craft room to this day.
Gong Hei Fat Choy to you and Bleubeard (I hope I have it right)
Neet xx