Monday, January 27, 2020

Even in winter


I'd like to start today by saying I realize most of my regular readers are not huge basketball fans, and especially not Lakers fans like I.  However, I have to say how sad I am that Kobe Bryant and his 13 year old daughter were killed yesterday, January 26, in a helicopter crash. For those of you who don't know, Bryant spent his entire basketball career with the Los Angeles Lakers, a feat nearly unheard of.  He was voted to the All Star team on many occasions and was voted MVP several times, too.  According to some stats, he was the first guard to have played 20 seasons.  My heart goes out to his family.  Now to my normally scheduled post.

Since I have a few hours between Monday Murals and T Time, I thought I would share another Art Journal Journey entry using Jo's from Let's Art Journal theme which is Something New.

However, I'd first like to share a tag I made for Tag Tuesday.   I believe I'm getting in just under the wire.  This is Michele's theme, which is Winter Scenes.

I apologize for the poor quality of the photos, but I took these in my craft room which sits on the north side of my house and is dark in winter.   The sentiment reads:
These trees thrive, even in winter.
I had intended to add white snow (AKA white glittery Stickles), but I started this before I got ill and wanted to get it in on time to meet the Tag Tuesday challenge. 

I created this using a gifted tag, blue distress ink, and the same trees I used on my Christmas tip-ins.  I added the sentiment over a piece of corrugated cardboard.

My friend Erika gave me the idea to use the tag in art.  Check out her link if you didn't see it.  That was something new for me, so it fits with Jo's theme which is Something New.   And I can't tell for sure, which I would want to file this under, but I'm joining the talented artists at Try it on Tuesday, whose themes this fortnight are White Space or Colorful Grunge.

This looks like a royal mess to me.   I have this brand new never before opened distress ink and was trying to use just a part of it on my tag.  These marks are what were left when I used both the distress ink and the dye ink I used on the trees.

For my embellishment, I cut a baby wipe I'd used to clean stamps I'd used for several stamping session, then sewed it to the background.  Some of the blue marks were from me trying to color the string I used on the tag.
I started this page by creating the tag I laid on a sheet of 110 lb card stock.  Technically, the card stock was new, fitting Jo's theme.  However, the blue distress ink had never been opened and I was making a mess by adding it direct to paper.  Although it's hard to tell, since it's so dark in the craft room, there's loads of white space, fitting Try it on Tuesday's theme.  For the assembly, I sewed the baby wipe to the page using green variegated thread.  I then added the tag over the baby wipe using a glue stick.

Thanks for your visit today.  I'm trying to make up for some of the challenges I had hoped to join before I got sick.  Please also join me at Tag Tuesday, Try it on Tuesday, and Art Journal Journey.


22 thoughtful remarks:

Rosie said...

Just wonderful

Thank you for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY

Iris Flavia said...

Every death is sad. And, well, yes. Even though Dirk Nowitzki is German I´ve never seen a game!
But I´ve once trained with the Basketball Lions, does that count? (OK, we shared a tool and 3 huge pairs of shoes were a little overwhelming ;-)...)

I like your tag (even though I have bad memories of these trees) - the technique sure is wonderful!

Valerie-Jael said...

John Donne wrote, 'Every man's death diminishes me' - it's always sad to hear that people have died too early.
Love the tag, great idea, thanks for joining us at Tag Tuesday, much appreciated. Have a good week, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

It is sad about Kobe Bryant. Even if you weren't a Lakers fan, he was way too young, and so that is also very true for his daughter. But the good news is you made a very pretty tag that is such a nice wintery view. I like the cardboard strip too. It adds some super texture. Have a good Monday and "see" you later for T. Hugs-Erika

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely tag and use of your baby wipe.x

CJ Kennedy said...

Nice tag. I love the colors.

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful page! I love the tag that you created with the pretty trees and the background looks fabulous too 😁. That's a great technique from Erika, it looks such fun! I love using Distress Inks and as they reactivate with water you could also spritz the ink that you stamped onto the page with water for another background look, I may give that a try myself ...lol 😉. Thanks so much for joining Art Journal Journey again and for playing along at Try it on Tuesday too! Hugs, Jo x

Sandra Wright. said...

A great Tag..I especially like the background and quote.
Thank you for joining us at Tag Tuesdy.

Cath Wilson said...

That's a great effect for creating mountains in the background, Elisabeth - it looks really cool. I love tags but never give them away, so rarely use them...they're a lovely size to decorate. As for the corrugated card - great minds think alike, as you'll soon see, lol.
Sorry you've not been so good. Hope you're much better now.
Cath x

Divers and Sundry said...

My Twitter and FB feeds were filled with this tragic news :( You don't have to be a Lakers fan to feel this loss. Our local Grizzlies game last night is said to have had a somber air in the face of this news.

I love your trees, perfect against that background, making a nice composition and color contrast.

Rike said...

It's a great idea to add the baby wipe you had used used to clean stamps and sewed it to the background, it became an amazing background! The trees are beautiful standing against the white color of snow!
Wish you a happy new week!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

the tag is really neat Elizabeth...great job on this one

it is beyond devastating to all those who lost a family member, friend, neighbor, co-worker; those who died in the crash. May God give each of the families the strength they need, to see them through this ~~~ ♥♥

Eileen Bergen said...

Though I'm not a big sports fan, I'm a huge fan of good decent people like Kobe Bryant. It was a tragic accident and a loss to a very flawed world which needs more good people like Kobe Bryant.

Love you tag, especially the wintry sky effect. It came out great!

Eileen xx

Jeanie said...

I, too, am sad to see lives cut short so tragically. I know this happens every day to thousands we don't know but it is a grim reminder when death comes so unexpectedly to those we do.

Your tag looks like my world. Cold and winter!

Thank you so much for taking such time to visit and check in on so many back posts. I'm always so delighted when you come by and take the time to leave comments that make me smile. (and bummer about that cat food bag -- I hope some was salvaged!)

Meggymay said...

The sad news about Kobe was on our TV's yesterday as well, sad news that must have effected many as well as his family.
The tag you created looks lovely,
I loved the winter scene with the trees as well. ,
Your page looks fabulous, not a mess in any way. Don't be hard on yourself . I can see a winter, snowy day, an angry sky with more snow on the way and the wind blowing through the trees. We all see things in different ways. It is a super idea to use the tag on the journal page.
Thank you for linking up with us at Try it on Tuesdays, its super page for our theme.
Yvonne xx

Cindy McMath said...

A wonderful tag and page - I love your experiments! Even without being a basketball fan for any team I’ve certainly heard of Kobe and read about this sad news yesterday. Very tragic.

pinky said...

You've created a beautiful rustic winter scene! Thanks for joining us at Tag Tuesday!

Words and Pictures said...

Ooh, lovely wintry scene on your tag, and I love how you've incorporated it into your page spread. For me it mutated from being quite a calm scene to being at the centre of a wild winter storm on the page! Such a lot of movement and energy in those swipes of ink.
Alison x

RO said...

Your tag is lovely, and I'm thinking this would be a cool idea for gifts that I'm going to try in a modified form, because I'm not nearly as talented. Kobe's death has been rough on me, and while I don't normally talk about those rough days, this hit hard. A few months ago, we lost my son's father who I was still close with, and we were just getting over the hurt, when we heard about Kobe. This is the team that he loved, and passed on to my son. They were both football fans, but the Lakers, Chicago Bulls, Boston Celtics and Washington Bullets were their teams. They watched the games, played the games and bough sports clothing dedicated to their fave sports stars. Because I'm a pop culture fan, I have tons and tons of sports memorabilia, specifically Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant basketball stuff. That loss, including the loss of GiGi brought back all these memories, so it was like losing him all over again. What a huge loss to the world, and as a parent, I can just imagine the horrific pain that Vanessa is feeling right now. No parent should ever have to lose a child who hadn't even had time to live her dreams, so I've been struggling as I watch the news, but grateful that so many are offering support and celebrating his life. Sending some hugs your way. RO

craftytrog said...

Your tag looks great Elizabeth!
Hope you're having a good week xx

Joan said...

Great tag, like you use of the baby wipe

Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday challenge

Joan

pearshapedcrafting said...

You certainly have excelled yourself here Elizabeth! You may not be so happy with the inky parts but it looks great on the whole page! The tag is a beauty and love how you used it here! Thank you so much for adding this to the entries at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx