Monday, January 13, 2020

California's Seasons


Since I have a few hours between Monday Murals and T Time, I thought I would share another Art Journal Journey entry using Jo's from Let's Art Journal theme which is Something New.  Unlike many of my mixed media and art journal friends, I only received two Christmas gifts that I can use in my art (the lovely postage stamps I received from RO! and the lovely napkins Yvonne sent).  However, I DO have a few items I've never used before

and one of them is this brand new washi tape.

The first thing I did was find the center of the page by leaving marks at the mid-points of both the sides and lengths of the page.

Then I laid down the washi tape following the lines I drew previously.

All my friends who live in or visit California (a state on the west coast of the U.S.) tell me how great it is.  Some admit there are no seasons, though.  Granted in Southern California, it feels like spring all year long.  Day times are sunny and nights are cool.  After all, it IS, or once was a desert!  I, on the other hand, see the various seasons of California in a rather different (dare I say irreverent?) light.

Fires engulf the land,

much like parts of Australia are experiencing right now.

Of course, when it rains, there are the mudslides, because people build on the sandy sides of mountains and fail to reach bedrock to shore up their properties.

Along with the mudslides, there are floods.

When it's not raining and flooding, there is drought.  Remember, this is a desert that doesn't accept water well.  Of course, there is always the San Andreas Fault that runs through most of the state, which causes many earthquakes.  We (as scientists) are still not able to completely predict when one will occur, only let people know as it IS occurring.

I realize this is a rather cheeky look at California's seasons.  I definitely don't want to offend any of my friends who live there and call it home.

For this page, I first partitioned the page (110 lb card stock) into four sections using the washi tape.  I was determined to use only paint chip samples on this page, along with the four houses I stamped and fussy cut.  I was so proud of myself.  I only had one house mishap.  It wasn't that it didn't stamp well, it was because I dropped the clear stamp onto the paper and I had to re-ink the stamp.  I decided to add the bird because it was sitting on my table.  A bit big for the house, but I'm calling it a large sea bird.  All words and decorations were made using various metallic gel pens, which I learned didn't dry well on the paint chip samples I got at various local home improvement stores.

I am so happy that you stopped by today.  I hope to see you at Art Journal Journey, too. 

22 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

This is a very interesting one, Elizabeth!
I never knew!
To me it was only "California Dreaming"!
You made me laugh with the reason for the bird :-)
And why not?

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun page pointing out all that can - and does - happen in California. Have a great week, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

Those things are so true. But the idea of having warmer spring like weather right now sounds like it might be worth the risk. Oh January weather...anyhow, you outdid yourself on this page. I particulary like the house being swallowed up by the earth and earthquake. This is a fun look at some serious problems, or maybe why it would not be so good to be in California. Happy Monday. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Interesting way of looking at the seasons. I like the house you chose as it reminds me of the house used in the movie, Psycho, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. And the crow a nod to Hitch's movie, The Birds.

sheila 77 said...

This is a very interesting take on Sunny California, Elizabeth.
Great use of the house stamp and washi tape and so imaginative.
The bird hanging on to the house picture has so much movement and the earthquake house is about to tilt. It's either a very large seabird or possibly a very small house.
Fire and mudslides too - how creative this is, I love it.

Caty said...

What a wonderful page Elizabeth! I love how you have combined the four seasons of California, so real, hard, and, perhaps, attractive to some people. The force of nature always impresses me, and I have to admit that it scares me to see what can happen in such a short time. That stamp of the house is very beautiful. I hope you have a good day and I send you biig hugs,
Caty

Divers and Sundry said...

I don't live in CA, but I'm thinking this highlights the extremes lol A cool look at what "seasons" means in that area. Nature always rules!

peggy gatto said...

what a fun and innovative post!!!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I was in CA once many moons ago, loved it; couldn't afford to ever live there though ...WAAAAAAAY to expensive :) ♥♥

Jeanie said...

Love the Earthquake/Drought panel especially. A fun piece and I think it pretty much gets the Cali I've seen.

Meggymay said...

As I have really no ideas of the effects to the land when the seasons change in the USA. I really liked seeing your page and how you used the new tape to section off to show the seasons in CA. A great page for Jo;s theme as well.
Yvonne xx

Cindy McMath said...

Well yikes! Poor California. A very creative page Elizabeth. I’m sure no one will be offended - especially not at the moment where the rest of the country is snowed under - LOL. Even in Victoria we’re getting snow this week!

Linda said...

Well done. I have been to LA several of times, and often when flying out of there, I look down at it and wonder "Is it really suitable for human habitation?" Honestly I have my doubts.

Dortesjs said...

well done i say to.

Let's Art Journal said...

What an imaginative page! The house stamp is darling and I love the vibrancy of the flowers on the washi tape - fabulous 😁. Thanks for joining in the fun again at Art Journal Journey! Hugs, Jo x

Aimeslee Winans said...

Like other coastal areas have Hurricane Season and the Midwest has Tornado Season, California has their seasons and this is a clever but sobering perspective on it. Well done, xoxo

Birgit said...

This is hilarious! Sad because it’s true but I love it and I love how you created each season..quoth the Raven, “Never More.”

Words and Pictures said...

Oh dear - what a lot of seasonal disasters... it's a clever page, full of wit in how you've created each scenario for the little house (and I like those washi tape dividing frames). It's awful how it is happening all the time in real life now though... but that's what art should do - reflect the real world back to us so that we pay attention.
Alison x

Trillian As said...

What a dangerouse view of California. In the past years all these horrible news are shown around the world. We wish that it will be the last time but we all know that it will be worse in future.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Neet said...

Having been in California following a fire I can say that the devastation it leaves behind is far worse than any pictures you see.
My post (on Oz really)
https://hickydorums.blogspot.com/2020/01/australia-i-want-to-help-now-do-you.html
briefly mentions my trip after one fire and I have to say you have illustrated what i have gleaned over the years from friends who live there just how California has thee 'seasons'. I don't think anyone will view your page as "cheeky" - I thought it quite the opposite and think you should be proud of what you have done and how through your art you have brought attention to the lives of Californians.
Hugs, Neet xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Well, That's knocked that on the head! I had very different ideas about living in California! I have a cousin who lives there! I don't think I would enjoy the heat, but now I would be worried about going! I love this page though - a realistic look at California instead of my imagined vision! Hugs, Chrisx