Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Only the elephant knows


I'm joining Yvonne, aka Meggymay, the newest co-administrator and host this month at Art Journal Journey.  She wants us to use Words and Numbers in our art.

Yvonne just gave me the keys to the kingdom.  I know lots of people don't like numbers, but I'm a statistician, so numbers are very important in my world.

In case you need a translation: Looks like we will never know why.

I found this in my stash.  It was a full page until I cut it so the background would show.  It appears to have been a page from a children's addition and subtraction book.

Can you decipher the code and the riddle?

Looks like some child tried to find the answer.  

Did you determine the question?

It's all about this poor guy.

Yes, the question is

Why does the elephant have sore feet?


If only I had the ANSWER sheet to accompany the question!!!  Looks like we will never know why!!!

For this journal entry, I began with a sheet of cardboard left over from the back of a 9 X 12 inch (22,9  X 30,5 centimeter) watercolor pad.  I was trying to use the last of my white gesso and got this really unique texture as a result.  I cut the page to fit the background because I wanted part of the texture to show.  That often happens when I like the background and hate to cover over it.  I printed the sentiment and colored it using a water soluble crayon.  To complete the entry, I added two scrapbook jewels to the ends of the elephant's tusks.  I wish I knew the answer to the riddle, but I guess only the elephant knows for sure.

Thank you beyond belief for joining me today.  I hope to also see you at Art Journal Journey.


21 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Funny. Just yesterday I was so cold I sat like that elephant to get my feet warm!
No kidding! (Reckon the answer is winter?)
Uiiii, bet you even enjoyed infinitesimal calculus then!!!
I asked the math teacher for what we can use it. His answer... "so you can study", yah, right...

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun page, like the elephant with his feet in the tub. I never liked Maths at school, although I often had to teach it later on. Have a great day, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Super fun post cute elephant too.

Sami said...

I'm one of those that never enjoyed Maths, I was always more inclined to languages, history...
Luckily both my children take after Dad and love Maths.
It's a lovely page Elizabeth.
Have a lovely Christmas and see you again on the 30th :)

My name is Erika. said...

That elephant looks like some of my students when they get a test and panic. The poor kids. My daughter was like that; she'd get so nervous and it took her years to get past that. I love this page-it made me smile. The elephant is adorable and what's not to love about numbers? I made a couple of number pages when I was home last week on my snow days. They'll be coming. Hope it's a great Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

Words and Pictures said...

I didn't realise I wasn't following you... I am now!! I adore your poor elephant, feeling sorry for himself... I think he's been overdoing it on the circus parade. Sorry I've been absent - still catching up with myself after feeling under the weather. I'm so pleased you like the tree tag. If I can find it (it was made four years ago!! then you are very welcome to have it. I'll let you know if/when I track it down.
Hugs,
Alison x

Cath Wilson said...

Brilliant page, Elisabeth. You made me smile :-) LOVE your textured background and can easily see why you made sure it's visible. There are definitely some things we'll never know the answer to...food for thought!
Cath x

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun page. Your background makes it look like steam is coming out of the elephant's tusk. He has sore feet because the water is too hot.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm glad you're back! I liked math in school, but I've never been fond of riddles.

Cindy McMath said...

What a fun page!

kathyinozarks said...

I really love this page. I have always struggled with math-I know the basics for everyday living-but that's about it and math pops up in many things all the time-

Meggymay said...

Well they do say an elephant never forgets so this one will be sure know or have an answer. I am so happy you are enjoying the theme Elizabeth, I thought it would appeal to you. I maybe could find my way around the sums but breaking a code.... no chance with out sheets of A4 paper and lots of scribbles. I love the elephant sitting with his feet in a tub of water it appeals to my imagination, the sparkles on the tusks add a touch of magic.
I think he was pacing out his answers, lighting his way with the light from his tusks and was tired out because some one tried to have a conversation with him and he forgot where he was up to, but being an elephant who never forgot, he did the calculations all over again and is keeping the answer a secret until the children work it out.
Sorry to have waffled on but I love this fabulous page.
Yvonne xx

da tabbies o trout towne said...

cute page Elizabeth !! maybe his wife made him walk too far to the grocery !! { I'm guessing he's married because of the rings on his tusks :) ♥♥☺☺

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Dr. E, I have. been so busy that I have not had a chance to keep up on my comments .. I thought about disabling them, but it is our only means of communication... so thank you for your constant and consistent support and encouragement.. loved your mail post and your Elephant! x

Sharon Madson said...

He is a cute elephant even if we don't know why his feet hurt. Glad to see you posting again.

Susan Kane said...

So sad. It is because he needed a pedicure or because he had no idea what those numbers meant. Most likely, the problem is the pedicure.

Jeanie said...

Oh, that's funny! Seeing the numbers just boggles my mind!

froebelsternchen said...

Simply gorgeous !

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I always enjoy seeing elephants in artwork. I love numbers, too, but I'm terrible at puzzles (other than jigsaw puzzles).

Rike said...

I love numbers - so I stayed a while to read me through the text and the numbers ... it's funny, although the elephant has tears in his eyes. Poor elephant with sore feet - maybe he was helping Santa Claus and pulled the sleigh?

Eileen Bergen said...

Very cute, Elizabeth. I enjoy math and statistics too, so I will come back to this one when I have some time to noodle. Eileen xx