Wednesday, November 6, 2019

When life gives you lemons


Today I'm joining Rike at Rike's Art our host this month at Art Journal Journey.   Rike's theme is Fruit and Veggies.


I decided to actually use a rubber stamp for this journal page.

I know people laugh when I use these feminine products to color my stamps, but I don't have any makeup sponges.  After all, necessity is the mother of invention.

Unfortunately, after I had completed this page, I dripped a drop of yellow colored water from my water brush onto the page and nothing I tried got rid of it.  I was actually sick, since I had put so much time and effort into it.

I even tried to color compensate in Photoshop, but that actually made it worse.

In case you can't read it:
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
I colored the lemons with a water soluble crayon.  I was thrilled with how they turned out.

I stamped the lemon using yellow and green dye ink.

For this page, I started with a sheet of 110 lb card stock and printed the pitcher and the sentiment.  I went over the page with blue water soluble crayon after I stamped the lemon.

Thanks for joining me today at AEDM and Art Journal Journey.

This is Day 6 of Art Every Day Month (AEDM), hosted by Leah Piken Kolidas
and I created a journal page for Art Journal Journey.


24 thoughtful remarks:

froebelsternchen said...

I love your page! Gorgeous and the quote is so powerful and inspiring for everyone!
Happy AJJ and have a wonderful Wednesday Elizabeth!
Susi xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun page and life certainly gave you lemons while you were making it! Such things happen. Have a nice day,Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you, Elizabeth, you made me laugh again :-)
I have no idea about those tools you use, but... hmmm.. weeks... or months ago... I saw some face-powder (for an even teint) that was for a cheap price and thought, come a job interview it would be good to look neat.
We had to look for something to put it on.
I never used it and every time I go to brush my teeth these things stare at me ;-)

I love the finished page!
Despite it´s cold, I think about making some lemon water! They look so real! Yum!

Cath Wilson said...

Wonderful, Elisabeth...your jug is fab and it's great to see lemons - one of my memories of California - lemons in the garden.
You did make me giggle when I saw your 'tool' though...I use kitchen or bathroom sponges - much less expensive ;-)
Have a great day!
Cath x

Let's Art Journal said...

It's a fabulous page and I've always loved this quote, so true! The jug of lemons and the stamp look amazing 😁. I think the accidental yellow drips match the quote perfectly too as nothing is ever perfect, to be honest I wouldn't have noticed unless you said 😉. Happy Wednesday! Hugs, Jo x

My name is Erika. said...

That is a very very clever take on Rike's challenge. Nice. It is lots of fun and reminds me of summer...and it is sure a nice use of fruit. I need to think of some more ideas...hope your week is going well.Hugs-Erika

Meggymay said...

This is a fantastic page and I am smiling at the words you added. The jug looks ready to pick up and pour the contents into a glass.
I had to go back and look for the accident you mentioned, my focus was the beautiful jug and the lemons.
Yvonne xx

kathyinozarks said...

Wow your pitcher of lemons looks sooo real awesome! so sorry about the water spot-I would be unhappy too-can you turn it into a lemon or something else?

CJ Kennedy said...

The "accident" actually enhances the sentiment. Nice page. A painter friend gave me a good tip about removing splotches. Use a damp, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. You know, the cleaning product? Use the plain one as now I guess they are infusing the foam with scents or cleaners. Gently go over your blot. I suppose it also helps if your paper is not real thin. I have successfully used the technique on watercolor paper.

Rike said...

This quote is perfect for your wonderful pitcher with the lemons, yes,they really turned out beautiful and the stamped lemon too! Your drop of yellow colored water looks like you actually used the pitcher and poured the lemonade into a glass (not on the picture) and the drop stayed hanging in the air, in the next second it will fall down to the ground or table - it's my fantasy, haha!
Thank you for another gorgeous entry to my theme at AJJ!
Wish you a happy day! Rike xx

Cindy McMath said...

What a great page! I thought the lemons must have been printed that vivid yellow - you got such a great colour out of those crayons. Fabulous. Regarding your drip - I agree with other commenters. First I wouldn’t have noticed if you hadn’t mentioned. Second it does go with your quote. Either way, this is terrific page.

DVArtist said...

Lots of wonderful art today. I am cracking up over the "art tools" you use. Actually genius. Have a wonderful day today.

craftytrog said...

I love this page, it's a great idea for Rike's theme Elizabeth.
Alison xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I love this! I do know the feeling of being satisfied with something and then oops :( If it keeps bothering you, you could put another lemon over it ;)

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Your lemon slices are very realistic and I love your lemon stamp. My eyes went directly to those focal points. I wouldn't have noticed the water stain if you hadn't mentioned it. So, in my opinion, you made beautiful lemonade out of one of life's lemons. Eileen xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love this Elizabeth! I often cover up mistakes with a few doodles!( although I do love doodling anyway! Hugs, Chrisx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Lovely artwork Elizabeth.

Rita said...

Very pretty page...with a "lemon" spot. :) :)

aussie aNNie said...

What a beautiful project and gorgeous lemon and colours.xx

Kerry @ Art to Alchemy said...

I love this. I particularly like the way you combine digital and real art materials. Well done! Those lemons look luscious. As for the drop...go with it. USE the quote literally and make that "mistake" something else you didn't expect by adding MORE drops and splashes on the page. :)

If you're too nervous to do this, the other option is to scan the image and use that stamp tool to get rid of the water drop in Photoshop. Kind of a cool idea where you create a piece that started as digital, printed and added mixed media, then back to digital again. ;)

Caty said...

Lovely and wonderful Art page Elizabeth !! Love the quote, it´s so true ! Always positive, the colour of the lemons is perfect, gorgeous stamp!
I wish you a very nice afternoon,
Big hugss, Caty

NatureFootstep said...

nice work, and, great advice :)

RO said...

One of the things I drink consistently is lemonade, and I use lemons a lot when I cook, so this artwork is one of my faves. I can actually see this as a card too because it has the perfect message. Hugs, RO

Jeanie said...

I love this page and so understand why you were frustrated with the water drop. It is a bit of an irony that you have this quote/statement on the page with a drip. But I'd call it lemonade indeed, with wonderful coloring and texturing. I didn't notice the drip till you reminded me of it!