Thursday, November 21, 2019

Second Thursday Tutorial is on hold


My sincere apologies, but I don't have any new backgrounds to show, even though I have all the materials I plan to use sitting on my craft table.  I'm under a tremendous deadline, and just couldn't take time to create the tutorial.  My time will improve in a few days when this project is completed, though.

Today I had to take an hour out of my busy schedule to buy groceries.  I can do without much sleep, but not without food. After I purchased enough groceries to last through Thanksgiving, I decided to stop by my local park and take a couple of shots.  I needed something for today and this seemed like the right thing.

I knew the park might be deserted because it was a school day, but I didn't expect it to look so desolate. 

Everywhere I looked, the park felt sad.  The trees, far more leafless than around my home, had that put-to-rest winter feel.

It was all so bleak and lifeless,

I decided to crop the last photo

and add a few filters in Photoshop to turn it into what I thought looked like a wintry scene.  Trust me, I'm NOT a digital artist, but this was fun and kept me from thinking about the project I'm working on (which has nothing to do with art) for about an hour.


This is Day 21 of Art Every Day Month (AEDM), hosted by Leah Piken Kolidas and I photographed areas of a park I helped design in 2007, then turned one photo into a digital entry.








21 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, November is a sad month.
Soon Christmas lights will pop up everywhere and make it all much better :-)

Valerie-Jael said...

November can be dark and dismal. Here the Christmas markets are starting, and that brightens the streets a bit. But we mostly have some green even at this time of year. Have a great day, Valerie

junemac2 said...

Yes its definitely a wintery sadness. Love what you did with the filter it looks beautiful

Hugs June x

CJ Kennedy said...

November is a between month. Between the bright colors of Fall and the excitement of Christmas and beauty (dare I say it) of Winter. Lonely is a good word for it and you've captured that.

My name is Erika. said...

Hope you get that project done so you can relax. But I agree, the park looks pretty empty and I can't believe there isn't even some parent/ daycare person and some little toddlers there. Don't work too hard. Hugs-Erika

craftytrog said...

Great photos and I like your altered shot. Very dismal here today too, a typical November day.
Alison xx

R's Rue said...

Love.

Cath Wilson said...

I'm really sorry you've hurt your arm, Elisabeth. Hope it soon heals and doesn't interfere with your deadline!
Love your local park and what a delight to have had a hand in it. A genuine legacy! The trees ae beautiful and yes, your Photoshopped image does look wintry. Get better soon!
Cath x

kathyinozarks said...

I love how you changed the photo into a work of art-nice I have never tried anything like that-should look into photoshop
good luck with everything-hugs Kathy

Divers and Sundry said...

That is a glorious tree, made even more inviting to me by its seasonal leaflessness. I want to try to climb it :) to sit in that fork.

Jeanie said...

November DOES look so bleak. It's pouring here today, and windy and damp. Well, at least I can be productive inside!

Thanks for all your nice words on my comments. Since I can't reply directly, I'll tell you here! You are so appreciated!

Meggymay said...

Lovely photos from the park and it looks like you had fun with some digital altering. It may have looked bare but at least you didn't have to think about missing people from the scene.
Yvonne xx

Sandra said...

Nice photoshop shot. I love parks. We used to go to them all the time when the kids were little.
YOU have a great one.

Lowcarb team member said...

November can often be a gloomy month.
I did enjoy seeing your photographs even though everything looked a little deserted!

Take care, my good wishes.

All the best Jan

DVArtist said...

Busy life can get in the way of art. I really dislike grocery shopping but it has to be done. LOL The part does look sad.

Rita said...


funny, I see the images of children playing in my head when I look at empty playgrounds. Like they were just called inside from recess. :)

Anne (cornucopia) said...

It does look desolate in the park. Wonderful photos.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Yep, food is one of those things you just can't do without! The secret is to make it interesting.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Parks do look rather deserted on weekdays around here too! These are interesting photos as it looks as though it is very Wintery already! Take care, Chrisx

NatureFootstep said...

cool to see you use Photoshop sometimes :)

Playgrounds have a habit of being empty this time of year :(

Cathy Kennedy said...

Life this time of the year is very hectic, no worries. Just enjoy yourself. I can't believe Thanksgiving is here again so soon. Where does the time go? Playing with photo editing software is a lot of fun and you did a cool job on your late fall image making it more wintry like. Have a blessed holiday!