Saturday, November 23, 2019

Heading to the Orient


It's time to once again join Rike at Rike's Art our host this month at Art Journal Journey.   Rike's theme is Fruit and Veggies.

Today we're heading to the Orient

looking for

a steaming bowl

of our favorite veggies.

We are surrounded by Oriental reminders,

including a fortune which reads:
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. 
Although this came from a 1970's magazine,

the veggies look as good today as they did then.

When I saw this ad in an old gifted magazine, I knew I had to use it.  The definite advertising part was cut away and a piece of Joss paper substituted in its place.  However, as I was affixing the entire assembly to a sheet of 110 lb card stock, I tore the Joss paper.  Also, the magazine page was so thin, I had trouble with it wrinkling when I applied the adhesive.  I added a found fortune and a gold embellishment I've had in my stash for far too long.

Thanks more than you know for joining me today at AEDM and Art Journal Journey







This is Day 23 of Art Every Day Month (AEDM), hosted by Leah Piken Kolidas and I created a journal page for Art Journal Journey.









28 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Ohhhh. My Parents - one after the other, as they had a business - went to Japan. They selled (amongst other) Citizen-watches so well, they were invited.
Dad brought home real Kimonos, umbrellas (I still have mine here)...
Sweet pictures, too.

We go for the adventure for sure!
Great work!

Have you tried "Voltaren forte"? Works for me when my ankle hurts real bad...

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun page and lovely veggies, yummy. Hope your arm is soon better, poor you! Look after yourself, hugs, Valerie

craftytrog said...

A great page for Rike's theme!
Hope you're feeling less sore today Elizabeth.
Hugs,
Alison xx

RO said...

Those veggies sure look perky and fresh! Hugs, RO

Let's Art Journal said...

Wonderful page! I love the background picture, so beautiful 😁. I hope you are feeling a lillte better today after your fall, take care and wishing you a lovely weekend! Hugs, Jo x

My name is Erika. said...

How much fun is this? You certainly do find the best ads and then adding the joss paper and the fortune makes this amazing. I like how you think my friend. It made me smile and is a creative take on the Rike's challenge. Happy Saturday. Hugs-Erika

Sami said...

Love this page just as I love Japanese and Chinese food.
Hope you're on the mend Elizabeth and that nothing is broken. Keep well and have a lovely weekend.

aussie aNNie said...

You take care my friend, we need our arms and legs...
Fabulous vegie post, love it.xx

kathyinozarks said...

Love your page-a very pretty ad re do
take care of yourself-hugs

Barbara said...

I always love anything with an Asian theme. I even have a small collection of Asian fabrics. I’ve used a few pieces here and there but sometimes I like to just touch and look at the rest. The prints are delicate as shows in your page. Nicely done!

Rike said...

Wow, this entry absolutely fits to my theme, thank you so much, dear Elizabeth! This drawing is amazing and I think about how the vegetable (photo-real) came into the painting of the bowl, a very clever photo mounting! I love the fortune "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"!
You put the pieces well together!
Wish you a nice weekend and the best for your arm! Rike xx

Cath Wilson said...

I love Japanese art and most types of Asian foods...always lots of crisp veggies and bright colours. I can't tell the joss paper tore accidentally - it didn't affect your page.
Happy weekend!
Cath x

Mia said...

Fun and lovely page, Elizabeth.
Please take care of yourself. You don't have to leave comments to our blogs. We definitely understand. You will be back when you can. Now you need to rest.
Hugs, my dear friend.

Dortesjs said...

thank you for you r comments on my green plants, yes i really love them, its winter in denmark so we have mist and grey weather to.
nice things you always put up on your blog -- I love to follow you as always well the two of us have been friends for years now so we follow and enjoy. Do have a great weekend dear. and drop by anytime

Words and Pictures said...

What a wonderful advert - so happy you kept it - and perfect for the theme! I love that you added the fortune reading too.
Alison x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This looks fantastic Elizabeth. And I love that fortune cookie quote. I hope you're feeling a little better today after that fall you had. I suspect this might've been a schedule post.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I love this page. Japanese art is so intriguing to begin with, and I'm a vegetarian, so that dish looks enticing. But the combo of colors and the fortune all work together so beautifully.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm ready to join these people for a meal and an adventure. I love how you combined these elements :) I hope you're improving and feeling maybe not as sore.

R's Rue said...

Love. "

Lowcarb team member said...

That is such a nice looking page and lovely mix of vegetables :)
Hope you're feeling less sore today, sending my continued healing wishes.

All the best Jan

Meggymay said...

It looks a delicious bowl of crunchie vegetables and a super journal page. Its good to find a magazine that can be used journal pages, I loved the words you added as well.
I hope the pain isn't so bad today.
Yvonne xx

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear you had a fall Elizabeth, I know it gives you such a shock to the system when it happens. I love the work you have done on this one, so visually appealing, as is your last journal page also. Rest up a bit, take care of yourself ✨

DVArtist said...

Elizabeth I am sorry you had a fall. Glad you did not break anything. Sending you healing energy. Now to the art. I love this! I am partial to all things Japanese. I was lucky enough to go there and had the best time. If fact if I wasn't married I would have packed up and moved there.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi, Elizabeth, I got some time to visit! LOVE how you have added veggies to their bowl! And I thought your pear page was gorgeous. Did you fall and hurt yourself? I'm so sorry and hope the bruises haven't been too painful. xoxo

froebelsternchen said...

A wonderful entry Elizabeth! Hope your arm feels better my friend!

NatureFootstep said...

dispite the trouble you had I think it worked for the better :) I like it!

Jeanie said...

I love the Japanese images. And you did a wonderful job masquerading the Joss.

Nadya said...

What a lovely page, and so true!!
Happy PPF ❤