Monday, November 18, 2019

Flower bed update


Since I have a few hours between Monday Murals and T Time, I though I should update you on my sad mid-November flower bed.

Everything is now either dead or dying after the bitterly cold weather we had last week.

I keep waiting for my neighbor to do something with what some of my blogger friends have called his mole hills.

The rose bush that bloomed so well this year, has now put itself to bed (figuratively and literally).

It will soon be time to bring my Wichita flag inside for the winter.

The area I so carefully dug up and removed all the weeds, then planted different bulbs this spring, was a big disappointment.  No bulbs sent up leaves, let alone flowers.  I was sick, because I spent a FORTUNE on bulbs. 

I got a dandelion out of the deal, though!

Everything looks so sad.  It's definitely ready for bed and a long winter nap.

The sun has done a number on the plastic bucket my kitty litter originally came in.  I turned it into a rust bucket, but now it doesn't hold water anymore.

Surprisingly, my pumpkin and gourds don't look too bad, even after being subjected to below zero temps last week.  It will soon be time for this vignette to make way for my Christmas decorations.

Thanks for dropping by today.  I wish my flower bed didn't look like it needed the covers pulled over it, but I'm glad you stayed to check it out, regardless.



This is Day 18 of Art Every Day Month (AEDM), hosted by Leah Piken Kolidas and I shared my front flower bed in photographs.







20 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

November is not the best time for gardens. Sorry your bulbs didn't grow, that's a pity, perhaps they will pop up next year. Have a fun day, keep warm, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Ohhh. That looks sad indeed!
Yes, same here, I planted and... nada. Luckily at least it was seeds I got for free (ha.... guess!)...
Thankfully no below-temps yet (excuse me, I need a short break to bend down and knock on wood now).
(Done) But it´s really cold inside since I refuse to heat. I should be at work and I´d feel "bad" using money to heat the place, dumb, am I ;-)

My name is Erika. said...

It is the time for saying goodbye to gardens, isn't it? I love the putting the roses to bed. That is really true. Smile. Sorry to hear about your bulbs too. I did that one year with tulips. The came up the spring after I planted them and then never again. So never again will I buy tulips. Augh. And I apologize for missing the sentence about the candy store in yesterday's post. That's what I get for trying to do blog catch up while watching the evening football game. Have a great Monday. Hugs-Erika

RO said...

Sorry your bulbs didn't turn out as you wanted, that's the pits, nd I know you're frustrated. I love your pumpkin set-up a lot! Hope the Spring works out better. Hugs, RO

Elkes Lebensglück said...

Too bad it has not come to terms with the onions, maybe next time!
greetings Elke

CJ Kennedy said...

Always sad to see the gardens die back and go into hibernation. Sorry about your bulbs. Maybe you will see them this Spring.

junemac2 said...

Oh i know just how you feel its so sad but then i guess we just need to look forward to the gorgeous budding in spring. I also wanted to say a huge thank you for spreading the news about the blogging badge, I am sure we can get this up and running again and enjoy a good social media once more. My friend Gina hit the nail on the head calling Facebook 'Toxic'

Thanks again, hugs June x

Divers and Sundry said...

November can be such a dreary month, all brown with none of the promise showing that we know full well is there :( I'm so sad about your bulbs! What a shame!

Sandra said...

It's always sad to see the garden go isn't it? So sorry about the bulbs. Any chance they'll surprise you next year?
The pumpkin and gourds look grand!
You have a great one.

Cloudia said...

But your blog is BLOOMING!

craftytrog said...

Great photos Elizabeth, sad news about your bulbs!

DVArtist said...

Great photos of your surroundings. Sorry the bulbs didn't grow.

Meggymay said...

The garden may look a bit bare. but it needs rest over the winter. You work so hard to keep it neat and tidy. Its a shame about the bulbs.
A few years back we had some bulbs that didn't do anything, in the autumn they were dug into a bare patch under the trees and forgotten. Next spring we did get some flowers. It could be an interesting experiment if you have the space.
Yvonne xx

Cath Wilson said...

All the joy of gardens is taking place underneath at this time of year. The soil is being nourished by the dead foliage and will soon give way to glorious life...don't give up on your bulbs. They may well come this next year. I've found the cheaper bulbs tend to work best, ironically. I had some beauties last year, but haven't been able to plant my new ones yet...I must see to that before it's too late!
Your garden will flourish!
Cath x

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh my gosh I'm wondering how my garden would survive below zero temps.. we have the opposite problem at the moment, surviving 39C heat 😱

Sami said...

What a pity your bulbs didn't flower. Your November garden is looking sad, but I suppose it's not the best time for the garden with the cold.

NatureFootstep said...

yes, it does look sad, But it is that fime of the year. :)

Jeanie said...

Ah, the end of season gardens. Always sad. But your pumpkins are good. I'm amazed mine are still whole. But very soft. I took them to the back yard yesterday for the critters and will smash them open today so they have an easier job getting to the seeds. Tis the season.

pearshapedcrafting said...

A sad tale for sure but I'm sure time will continue to race along and it will soon be Spring...and who knows, those bulbs may pop up next year! Hugs, Chrisx

Lowcarb team member said...

November is not always a good time for gardens, they do begin to look tired.
However, I think your pumpkin and gourds look nice :)

All the best Jan