Friday, October 11, 2019

Friday Smiles 341: A return to the Eisenhower Museum


I want to begin by apologizing for NOT visiting everyone last week.  In case you didn't know, a pesky squirrel sidelined me for over three days. It ate through my phone/internet line and kept me off the internet. Otherwise I would have been around to visit.  I hope you will forgive me for this terrible predicament in which I found myself.

It's Friday and time once again to join Annie (at A Stitch in Time) and the ladies at Friday Smiles.  I'm not going to start with any funnies today.  Instead, I want to get right to

the boyhood home of Dwight D. Eisenhower, the 34th president of the United States.  I should note the property originally had nearly three acres which contained the house, a large barn, a windmill, a chicken house, a smoke house, an outhouse, an orchard, a strawberry patch, and a large garden located to the east of the house.  If you were here two weeks ago you saw one of the note cards I purchased showed the family working in the garden as well as the east side of the home.

I was surprised how dark it was in the parlor when we walked in.  Believe it or not, I even lightened it in PhotoShop.

Photos of family

and the family bible showing Ike's birth displayed in this parlor.


I have two plant stands and both of mine are fancier than the one in Ike's mother's home.  Note how crochet was used to keep dirty arms and greasy hair off fabric.

I was in awe of the pocket doors, because I had them in my home in Missouri. I'm quite sure the plants were all fake.

The wallpapers in the two parlors, dining room, and hallway are identical to the papers in the home in 1946.

Look what happens when I snagged this image from the Eisenhower Museum web site.  Did I not mention that all the plants were fake?


I loved the drawer pulls on this combination desk and bookcase.

I love this four stack lawyer's library bookcase.  Mine has only two stacks.


Sorry, I got a little carried away with this bookcase.

This bedroom and another bedroom along with a walk-through closet were added to the east side of the house in 1900.  This bedroom was used by father David and mother Ida.  In 1900, grandfather Jacob Eisenhower moved in with David, Ida and their six sons with Jacob using the smaller north bedroom.  Jacob lived with the family until his death in 1906.









You can see what was originally a walk through closet behind the bed.

I was enamored by what might have been a dressing bench.

The north bedroom used by grandfather Jacob until his death, was converted to the indoor bathroom around 1908.  We'll see it later.

The stairs were roped off, so no one was allowed upstairs.

However, here is where the six boys slept.  There was apparently no privacy and all the rooms opened into each other room.  Note the chamber pot in Bedroom 1.

Note the time.  I was the straggler who was still taking photos while the next tour was about to begin.

The tour guide was trying to rush me out of this room which I had not yet seen.  She insisted I could see it from the room where the people were about to depart the area.

I don't know if you have ever been to a car race (where two cars compete in two lanes and are timed), but I used to take lots of photos with my old Konica camera at car races.  The recharge time was phenomenal, as fast as this digital Nikon I now use, especially since I don't use a flash for any reason EVER (unless I have no power, that is). 

Here I was taking shot after shot as quickly as I could (don't you just love the intricacy of this floor furnace vent?), 

not knowing if any of these would be in focus or

usable.  BTW, as an aside, I got burned when I sat on a relative's floor furnace grate when I was six years old.  They had to take me to the hospital, the burn was so severe.  That grate wasn't as intricate as the one in the Eisenhower home.

I hoped I'd be able to see what I missed later when I removed these from my camera.




Now that the others were gone, I was able to see the dining area better.

Here I've moved to the area where the people were standing earlier. 

The tour lady was really starting to push me to leave.

However, I stood firm and continued to shoot photo after photo,

trying to take in everything.


Look at that old heater that must have heated the back part of the house in winter.

I realize this is how Ida left her home when she died in 1946, but I can't see how eight or nine people ate in this dining area.


I really liked the drawer pulls on this hutch.

I almost missed the bath.

According to the tour guide, the north bedroom, originally used by grandfather Eisenhower until his death was converted to the indoor bathroom around 1908.

I nearly missed the kitchen area, too.  I remembered the tour guide told us the last addition to the Eisenhower home was the small kitchen, a pantry, and an enclosed back porch that was added to the existing home in 1915.


I also snagged this from the internet because it showed a different and more detailed area of the kitchen than I saw.

By this time, I was nearly forcibly being pushed out the door as I took the final two photos.

I am sure I've seen that photo on the left of the twin photos above.  It showed the entire family when the boys were young.  You can see how long I overstayed my allowed 15 minute visit.  I think this is the perfect ending, too.

Now let's see what others are smiling about this Friday.  Please don't forget to start your weekend off right by visiting Annie for a few Friday Smiles.  We would love to have you join us, too.

26 thoughtful remarks:

froebelsternchen said...

A great house. Thank you for taking me with you.Happy Friday!

Iris Flavia said...

A "smoke house"?!!! I´ve never heard of something like that!
Wow, I also never knew you used crochet like that! Clever, actually.
Hmmm... the fake plants look quite good, someone must dust them off regularly, now what is mire trouble, water or dusting off?
I just sorted out some books to give to students... was "hard".
The parents slept in separate beds?!!!
Oh my. I am glad I live these days. A pot in the bedroom, I know, but I just cannot imagine how it must´ve been to really use that... privacy!
Your writing-style made me smile big again :-)
Oh, no burning storie´s for me, I had to skip.
Hehe, I love how you just refused to leave. You´re a good example, dear friend! I´ll think of this next time someone tries to do that to me!
Wow, to cook for so many people on that tiny thing!
Thank you for this post - you made me awe and laugh :-)
Oh, I mean: Smile!

Valerie-Jael said...

Very interesting pics. I'm glad I'm not the only one with the sewing machine in my bedroom. Valerie

Helen said...

What a fab tour! glad you got to take all the photos you wanted

Lisca said...

What a lovely house! It reminds me so much of my grandmother's house (hers was not so big). The plants were the same she had (the spickey one is called sanseveria), and the crocheted furniture protectors. The flowery wall paper, even the sewing machine in the bedroom.
And I am surprised at the two single beds. Then I remembered that in some states married couples had to sleep in separate beds! What was that all about?
I agree with your observation that the dining area was rather small for such a large family. Perhaps it was the servants' quarters. Still, I can't imagine having to cook for a large family on such a small stove and in such a small kitchen area.
But it was very interesting seeing Eisenhower's family home. Thank you so much for sharing.
Have a lovely weekend,
keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca

Annie said...

Thanks for sharing the photos of your visit. I'm sure there was lots to make us all smile there.
Hugs,
Annie x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I'm glad you got your phone / internet back Elizabeth. And I thought my squirrels were bad eating the bird seed in my bird feeder. Yours are much worse! Great photos from Ike's house. I love seeing vintage homes and furnishings. I'm still busy with offline activities, so I haven't had time to visit everyone like I normally do. And I'm also behind on making Halloween artwork :-(

My name is Erika. said...

It is amazing how Eisenhower came from such an average American family. The house is beautiful but not something a really wealthy person would have. Somehow you think of a man who became so much to have come from a highly influential family-influential because they had money and ran a big business or something on that line. It goes to prove what you can become based on who you are if you are honest, smart, hard working, etc. Or at least I have the impression he was honest, but I really don't know much about him. I love the crazy quilts on the beds. And I like the feel of the house too. Thanks so much for sharing! I enjoyed the look in the house Hugs-Erika

Sami said...

Glad your internet troubles are over. Had no idea squirrels were into eating cable :)
The visit to Isenhower's house was very interesting. I still remember when crochet doilies were fashionable, over tables and sideboards and back of sofas. I like that hutch in the dining room, but also find the room tiny for so many people.
I hope your herbs survive after being uprooted due to the cold weather. Very early for that no? I've also not been visiting blogs regularly, but I've had to work double my noal hours due to a colleague being on holiday and another needing emergency surgery, so get home exhausted. Have a lovely weekend Elizabeth.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

This is a beautiful house though I'm glad I don't have to dust it. Guess as no one is living in it at least it shouldn't need quite so much housework doing.......what am I saying!!! housework! better do some I guess....sadly. It must be quite difficult to get round all this in fifteen minutes, there is so much to see. Wishing you a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

aussie aNNie said...

fABULOUS journey into this house...it's beautiful.
No need to apologize for lack of visits, life takes over and so do squirrels.xx

Nancy said...

What an interesting tour. My eye was caught by the textiles- love the crazy patchwork bed covers and pillow covers, and the table cloth. No way those plants could be real in the darkness of the room. Ouch, those grates can get super hot apparently. What an awful experience for you. So much to see in this lovely home.

CJ Kennedy said...

A lovely old home. very pretty wallpaper and furniture. I had to laugh at the thought of you snapping picture after picture as the tour guide is pushing you through. Good job getting all the photographs.

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I am so glad you took us back to the museum I really enjoyed visiting Eisenhower's home. Back in that time they sure used allot of wallpaper on the walls. I do love the first wallpaper shown though.
our low areas got a freeze but I think we are good here but we did get allot of rain over the day and last night-I would be interested to know how m any inches.
thanks so much about telling me about that medicine-we are seeing our family doctor in a couple weeks and I will be asking him about-that will make things so much easier to manage.
Happy Friday Kathy

kathyinozarks said...

Oh and my Grandma had a kitchen stove just like-smiles

mamapez5 said...

It is a shame you were rushed the house so fast. There was so much to see. Much of it reminded me of my childhood home though we lived very simply. We had the crochet chair protectors called antimacassars. I expect mum crocheted ours. I was always in trouble for knocking them off! I love the patchwork bed spreads. The white paper with small flowers on looks quite modern for the period. The large floral design is much more what I would expect.
A very interesting tour. Thank you for sharing. Kate x

Jeanie said...

I have poured over every photo of the house in this post. So much here -- and so beautifully restored and furnished. Yes, that's a pity about the speed of the tour because I'm sure your eyes could have rested on any one of these rooms for a very long time. Interesting to know who slept where and the photos on the wall are very interesting. Thanks for this. It's a spot I would love to visit.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

what an awesome tour this must have been !! Thanx for sharing Elizabeth :) ♥♥

Sharon Madson said...

I enjoyed, even though I have been there several times. The first time was in 1966 on our honeymoon. The last time was in 2016, for our 50th Anniversary. I think we went in 2008, too. A very nice Presidential museum. I think Kansas should be proud. We spent hours in the museum part, besides our “15 minutes” in the home. I think we were there longer, too, Glad you have power again!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, I thought I had better pop back and explain the guy who appeared to have an egg on his head. I'm not sure if they've ever used these where you are but the thing on his head is an old hair dryer that in the past would have been used in a ladies hairdressers here in the UK. Ladies would have their hair done with rollers and then sit under one of these while the curls set and now he's using it as a hat! It takes all sorts Lol! Hugs, Angela xXx

RO said...

I worked in a cable company for about 20 years, and we heard about squirrels going into places they shouldn't, women who came to the door naked when the tech arrived, and lots of stealing cable(lol) I could tell you some horror stories, so I totally understand your pain, and know it can take them time to resolve matters like this. You have nothing to apologize for. Sending lots of hugs your way! RO

Meggymay said...

I am enjoying seeing the photos you took, each one has something of interest to see. I've looked through them a couple of times and don't doubt I'll be looking again.
Its a shame you had to hurry through the rooms, we opt for the unguided tours if it is advertised, when we visit the National Trust houses that are open to the public here, for the same reason. We linger a bit hoping we can get a photo without people.
Yvonne xx

Let's Art Journal said...

What a beautiful house! It looks so welcoming and there is such a lovely softness to the rooms, the lighting is gorgeous 😀. Thanks for the tour! I hope you've had a great week and wishing you a happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, excellent... I was looking forward to the interior and it doesn't disappoint. Those pocket doors are wonderful - such a clever construction (I see them on the Tiny House youtube videos I watch) - and I'm not surprised they have to have fake plants given the gloomy dim lighting... but that's very much of the period too... mustn't fade the furniture you know!

The kitchen is fantastic - almost always my favourite part of any historical dwelling, because it's usually the place where most has changed.

Thanks so much for sharing so many great photos of your visit.
Alison x

Aimeslee Winans said...

Well I thank you for being so obstinate in your picture taking. Sounds like those museum folks need to take their own dang tour every once in a while, then they might feel rushed too! lol I think they all ate at the table at least once a day, probably the evening meal. I know my husband's family was 7 total, and my m-i-l's table has always been in the corner. Every evening for supper she (and whichever children had the chore to help) pulled it out, put in the extension leaf, set it, ate, cleared it, carefully took off the tablecloth and shook it outside, took out the leaf, swept underneath and then pushed the table back into the corner. Every single day. And that was a very nice house for that time and family status and size. Kids sleeping 2-3 or more to a bed was the norm. The parents sleeping in separate beds just usually meant no more children, and having a twin bed to yourself was something to covet. We have changed so so so much in 100 years! Thanks again for the tour. I am glad they have preserved it even if they don't let you see it longer than a blink! xoxo Oh, P.S. - several years back, a squirrel ate through the electrical cable at the pole. It electrocuted him instantly and fried/melted him to it. We lost electricity for 2 days while they got that cleaned up and repaired. Those squirrels are tenacious! xoxo

pearshapedcrafting said...

I really don't know what happened to my comment...I read this post then intended going back through your post to see part 1 but I'm sure I left a comment - I may have been on my phone but not on Chrome(which is the only way I can comment using my phone) OR...and this is most likely I just thought I had made a comment!!! Either way, I thoroughly enjoyed both posts and loved seeing where this great man lived! Hugs, Chrisxx
Aah! I do remember making a comment as I wrote that we don't generally like to take tours, because of being pushed through...although it is not always possible especially in smaller houses