Thursday, October 17, 2019

Dream weaver


I want to begin by reminding those of you who played in Art Every Day Month last November, that Leah now has the sign-up sheet available.  I'm not sure why we need to sign up, but I wrote her to ask if she was hosting AEDM again this year and she said she would post the sign-up sheet which she now has.  So please consider joining again this year.  It would have been incredibly lonely there if so many of you, my dear friends, had not joined me there last year.

Today I'm once again joining Eileen aka The Artful Crafter our host this month at Art Journal Journey.   Her theme is Dreams and/or Wishes.  This is also my nod to Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Somehow, this never made it to the AJJ page, so I've linked it now.

I have a friend who has breast cancer.  After a double mastectomy, they were sure they had eradicated the cancer.  Now it has spread to her brain.  Actually an area of the brain behind her eye.

I created this for her.



I hope the dream catcher catches all the evil in her body and she can become whole again. And since this is a Christmas dream catcher, I want her to be around for Christmas this year.


The doctors plan to give her radiation treatments as soon as her surgery heals.  She takes 10 pills a day, and according to my friend Scott, each pill costs $800.00.  Thankfully, also according to him, the pills are experimental, and they have been subsidized.

I plan to place this in a frame and give it to her.  I started with a sheet of 110 lb. card stock, computer generated the words to the song, and ran it through my laser printer.  I then colored the page using my green, pink, and copper handmade shimmering mists and a brush.   Finally, I placed the dream catcher, which is a Christmas ornament, on the page using E-6000.

These are the words to Dream Weaver, written and sung by Gary Wright (1975):

I just closed my eyes again
Climbed aboard the dream weaver train
Driver take away my worries of today
And leave tomorrow behind

Ooh, dream weaver
I believe you can get me through the night
Ooh, dream weaver
I believe we can reach the morning light

Fly me high through the starry skies
Maybe to an astral plane
Cross the highways of fantasy
Help me to forget this pain

Ooh, dream weaver
I believe you can get me through the night
Ooh, dream weaver
I believe we can reach the morning light

Though the dawn may be coming soon
There still may be some time
Fly me away to the bright side of the moon
And meet me on the other side
I found a frame in which to place the completed assembly, then tried to add it to the frame after I removed the glass.  Unfortunately, since it was so bent, I had to sew it to a piece of 110 lb card stock.  The completed size is 8 X 10 inches (20,32 X 25,4 cm) inside the frame.

I forgot to get a photo of the assembly in the frame when I gave it to my friend Scott to take to her, so Scott took a photo with his phone and sent it to me late yesterday.  I think it goes well on the wall that was chosen.

Thanks so much for joining Bleubeard and me today.  I hope you will also join us at Art Journal Journey.  Let's not forget Breast Cancer Awareness Month, either, please.


19 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, this darn cancer. I am very sorry for your friend.
I had one friend with the first one, too (she is still alife, just not my friend anymore) and one with the second.
She has lost the hearing on her left ear, so we can easily walk side by side and talk :-)
She´s well.

Quite expensive "experiment" your friend has to endure.

This is a wonderful present you made for her, I am sure it will help her.
Money should go into research and support for this, not into a mission to Mars, I think...

froebelsternchen said...

A simply wonderful gift for your friend Elizabeth! Gorgeous! It will help to heal!
Also a wonderful entry for Eileen's topic.
Great!
Happy day!
Susi xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Cancer is a terrible illness, and I am sure that your beautiful creation will help your friend through this hard time, all the best to her. Have fun with AEDM! Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

BEAUTIFUL, so pretty in colour and gorgeous for your dear friend..xx

Meggymay said...

A beautiful thoughtful gift made with love for your friend, its a terrible illness and I'm sure this gift will show her how much you are thinking of her.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

This is beautiful and a wonderful gift for your friend. Breast cancer is horrible thing for sure. Sorry to hear about your friend too. Hopefully she can have some quality of life. Your page is beautiful and very thoughtful, and works great for Eileen's challenge also. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Such a beautiful and heartfelt tribute you made for your friend.

Caty said...

This is a gorgeous gift to your friend Elizabeth !! She will know how big your heart is, and I´m sure it will help her, I wish she recover soon.
I wish you a very nice afternoon dear, and send big hugs,
Caty

Divers and Sundry said...

I hope this experimental treatment does all they hope for it.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

I am sorry to hear about your friend Elizabeth; prayers to her; your dream catcher is beautiful ~~~ ♥♥♥

sheila 77 said...

This is a lovely piece, lovely in its words, in its colours and in your thoughtfulness Elizabeth. I hope everything turns out well.
Love from Sheila

Jeanie said...

What a beautiful and thoughtful gift. So very perfect for one recovering from breast cancer surgery. I'm sure this thoughtfulness will cheer her through many challenging days and I only hope that she will heal and the treatment be effective.

Sami said...

So sorry for your friend Elizabeth. I'm sure she will treasure this thoughtful gift.
One of my colleagues had breast surgery last week after something was found in a mammography 2 weeks ago.
I wish more research was done to find better ways to find and deal with cancer instead of countries spending money on out of space travel or wars!!

Cindy McMath said...

A beautiful gift. I hope your friend has a full recovery.

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Your poor friend. My heart goes out to her.

I'm sure this beautiful piece lifted her spirits.

Thank you for sharing this with us at AJJ. Eileen xx

Neet said...

So very sorry to hear about your friend. Not much I can say is there? My friend in america had a huge dreamcatcher over her fireplace that her husband once bought her, it was beautiful. Sadly it burnt in the fires.
I have always had a liking for them an I think this is a lovely gift you have made for your friend. From the background paper you did to the frame you used. A lovely thought Elizabeth.
Blessings Neet xx

Words and Pictures said...

A loving and thoughtful gift for your friend to help her through the trials to come. I'm sure it will bring her some comfort and joy in the days ahead. The flowing colours are so suited to the words, dreamily drifting across the page.
Alison x

craftytrog said...

This is such a lovely gift for your friend Elizabeth! Wonderful words, and I'm sure they will bring her some comfort in the weeks ahead. I wish her well.
Alison x
P.S. I signed up to the AEDM

RO said...

This hits close to home because I have a cousin who lives in Maryland who was originally diagnosed with cancer when she was just 24, and she too had a double mastectomy. She's now 40, and the cancer came back with vengeance. All this time,we've been thinking that those who get double mastectomies are safe, but that's clearly not the case. My hear goes out to your friend, and I'm glad she has you as a friend for much needed support and kindness. I'm sending over some healing hugs, and I know she'll be appreciative of your lovely artwork made just for her. Hugs, RO