Monday, September 23, 2019

Tag time


Now that my ICADs are complete, I have a few hours between Sunday and T Time.  I thought it would be a good time to catch up on a few challenges I like to play in.  This one is for Wendy's theme at Tag Tuesday.

Wendy wants us to think of fruit, especially the fruit that is ready for harvest about now: Pears and Apples.

I think it was Erika, aka Bio Art Gal who had a hole reinforcer she had stamped, so I did the same.  I used one of the stamps I won from Valerie, but I admit, I'm not much of a stamper.

I don't own a pear stamp, so I tried to draw one.  Silly me.  It SORT of looks like a pear.

Then I had to go and mess it up by trying to sew around the pear.  Since I have no feed dogs that drop, this was even more challenging than the drawing I attempted.

I had an apple stamp,

but messed it up when I tried to leave a shadow on it.   I should have left it alone.  At least I didn't try to sew around it!  Did anyone besides me notice that the shadow on the pear and the shadow on the apple are on two different sides?

So many mistakes, so little time.

I couldn't even find green rick rack and didn't have time to dye any.

This tag, fraught with peril, began with a hand drawn pear I tried to color using water soluble crayons.  After I had attached it, I stamped the apple using black Staz-on, which is a red rubber wood mount.  I then colored it using water soluble crayons.  I sewed the background which was black construction paper to the beige card stock using variegated thread.  I stamped the hole reinforcer, then added it to the punched hole.   Finally, I added the turquoise rick rack to the tag.

Thanks for joining me for this tag, made for Tag Tuesday, I got wrong at every turn.  I am always grateful, but especially so today, that you made it through to the end!



17 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

It´s clearly a pear, don´t you worry, Elizabeth :-)
And, wee... it reminds me of the apple, well, it´s only half an apple that still sits in the fridge!!

But what are fruit stamps, never heard of these.
If you don´t make mistakes, I guess, you do not really learn...

Rick-rack - oh, now I know a name for that "thingy" (I don´t even know the German one) - thank you, I enjoyed seeing the making of and finished product :-)

Valerie-Jael said...

I love your tag, and that you went to so much trouble to make the tag! Your apple and pear both look great, and you did get the pear very well outlined with sewing. I know how hard it is, and I like it as it is. It's a fantastic tag and you made me happy that you made it! Have a great, new week, Valerie

Meggymay said...

Your pear and apple look fantastic to me, and I would never have noticed the shading if you hadn't mentioned it. I am in awe of your freehand drawing, I am hopeless. Many years ago[big laugh] I had an art teacher who declared I was wasting her time as I couldn't even draw a straight line without a ruler.
Yvonne xx
I replied to your mail, hope it gets back to you.

Mia said...

Great tag, Elizabeth. Handmade project do not have to be perfect! Mistakes (although I do not like this word) are their beauty!!!!
I love your pear drawing and I understand that sewing around it was a challenge for you. As for the apple, I do not see any mess, it it perfect!
Kisses, my friend.

kathyinozarks said...

I think your apple pear looks like you stamped it-so awesome job! what did you use for hole reinforcer? this is a cool tag. I was trying to remember what I did on my sewing machine when I was machine quilting-I did not lower feed dogs either but I think I released all the tension somehow so it would slide around-I will see if I have any notes on that.

Barbara said...

I like your pear! If that’s the one you drew by hand, I’d enjoy it if you did more drawing by hand. Drawing doesn’t have to be perfect. Actually I think it lends an authentic artistic touch!

froebelsternchen said...

Simply wonderful ! A fantastic tag dear Elizabeth! WOW!

Divers and Sundry said...

But you said you couldn't draw! I didn't realize you'd drawn it 'til you said so. I think it's quite nice, looking _exactly_ like a pear, and you can draw after all :)

Jeanie said...

I really, really like your pear. In fact, I think I like it even better than the apple. And the stitching just takes it up one more notch. Very nice, Elizabeth.

kathyinozarks said...

thank you so much Elizabeth for the information on those two events. I was thinking that one was less strict except for the theme.
those leaf dishes are a heavy pottery-handmade in california back in the 80s I think it was. so they are heavier than the other dishes-although those are heavy too-I need both hands with both of these

craftytrog said...

It's a beautifully constructed tag Elizabeth! I love your pear and apple.
You were correct about my blue stamps being those that you heat and press into some texture, then you can heat and use again.
Alison xx

Anonymous said...

This is a great tag. The stitching makes it so interesting. Yup, I did stamp the hole reinforces, but you used yours so much more cleverly than I used mine. Hope the day is going well. Hugs-Erika

Sharon Madson said...

Lovely tag, especially the stitching. Great tag for
Tag Tuesday.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

from where we sit; we don't see any mistakes....just an awesome tag !! ☺☺♥♥

Neet said...

Where to begin? Thank you for the explanation of the shelters, I now need to go and read the post. Very interesting to read there is so much help available and help that truly is help.
The food looks amazing. I do miss eating out in America, it does not seem as expensive as here in the UK, is interesting and has made my tummy rumble, realising I am on the wrong side of food. Interesting choices you both made, think I would have gone with the `musketeers too - and I love Focaccia bread.
What a fabulous book shop it is too. I love the Frida and Georgia section - what an absolute find in one store. Two of my favourite women artists.
Off to see your other post.
Hugs to the three of you, Neet xxx

Sami said...

It's very pretty Elizabeth :)

WendyK said...

Thank you so much for making the tag for our challenge, it's lovely I love the sewing around the pear.