Thursday, September 19, 2019

Rules from the road


I'm once again joining my friend Erika, aka Bio Art Gal, our host this month at Art Journal Journey with her themes polka dots,stripes, plaids, and patterns. I'm hoping this qualifies as patterns, dots, and a few stripes.

As the sentiment reads, I call this signs from the road.

Although Art Journal Journey has a large international following, I fear these signs are U.S. specific.  I know Route 66 is!  

So is the sign of the person behind the wheel on a slippery road (top left image).  I know many of my international friends are shaking their heads right now, because I make a point of saying how we in the states drive on the right side of the road!  Yes, that is intentional.

If you can't read my ransom type letters I cut from many magazines, this is "Signs

From The Road."

Here are a few close-ups.



For this page, I began with 9 X 12 inch (22,9 X 30,5 centimeter) black construction paper to which I sewed the road signs, using variegated thread, I found on the cover of a book.  Next, I found the letters I needed for a ransom style message and adhered them using glue stick.

Thank you beyond belief for joining me today.  I greatly appreciate it.  Bleubeard and I also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey.  Sorry, too for the recent confusion at AJJ.  I believe we have everything straightened out now, but the links that were posted prior to yesterday are sadly unlinkable.


22 thoughtful remarks:

aussie aNNie said...

Gosh you come up with the most interesting things to post and this is just another beauty. Thanks for your comment and my planner, yes it's to keep up with my DT postings etc...hugs

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun page. A lot of signs are very similar to those in other parts of the world, and easily recognisable. Have a great day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

This makes me kinda sad.
My Mom always tried to be fair and whilst I was given money to travel Australia twice (we slept in the car etc, I always brought back money), my Brother never made it to Route 66.
Mom presented him a "voucher", he has a licence to drive a big motorbike, but life always came in the way in a bad way.

Oh and Roadwork, ahhh ;-) Here they always take the cheapest company and failures and loooong times follow. Always. They never learn.
No idea how it´s like in America, in Australia they have (or at least in 1999 had) signs saying sorry and showing the progress, were done quickly, too!

I take a DETOUR now to the post I missed! ;-)

froebelsternchen said...

A fantastic layout with all the cut out letters and yes signs are to recognize nearly everywhere for everybody. Have a great day dear ELizabeth!

Another imaginative and creative entry for Erika's month at AJJ!

You rock again Co.-Admin!
Big hugs,
Susi

My name is Erika. said...

Of course it is a pattern. A pattern of road signs. I like it. The colors are nice and bold. I like the word collaging a lot. That word
"sign" looks soooo cool. Happy Thursday-and HUGE thanks for joining in at AJJ. Glad to see the link is "fixed" for the moment. It looked a little weird yesterday. Thanks. Hugs-Erika

Caty said...

What a super wonderful Art page Elizabeth !! I loove how you put all the signs together, and the letters collage is really beautiful, lovely colourful page.
I wish you a very nice afternoon, and send you bigggg hugsssss
Caty

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, that's great - I love the road sign collage panel, and your lettering echoes it so well, in colours and shapes and fonts... very cool.
Alison x

Cindy McMath said...

Love this Elizabeth! I’m leaving on a road trip today and I’m sure I will see many signs. Many of them will be to watch for wildlife as we travel through the mountains tomorrow.

Sami said...

Love the road signs Elizabeth, great page!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

what a great piece Elizabeth !!! this turned out really well, 984 pawz up az da tabbies say; with whitefish wavez ta
bleu N squiggles ~~~ ☺☺♥♥

Sandra said...

Love it! YOU have a great one:)

Birgit said...

This is a fun page with lots of signs and I love the ransom look of the letters. We do, indeed, drive on the right side of the road:)

Meggymay said...

I love how you designed and created this page using the road signs. Many seem so similar to our UK ones. Its a fabulous [age.
Yvonne xx

Sharon Madson said...

Pretty neat , this page of ?Rules of the .road. Love that you sew on your pages! To answer your earlier question, yes I am doing the Smithsonian thing again this year.

Mia said...

Really beautiful page, Elizabeth. I haven't seen in Greece the signs RR, 66 and Detour. But everything else is in my country too. Hugs, my friend.

Neet said...

Having been visiting America for several years now I do recognise some of the signs, the others are easy to understand as the pictures are kind of international (skidding car). I love how you happened to find this picture and the thought that went in to using it, also the way you stitch these things to your journal page.
As for the ransom letters, what a great idea - very eye catching and absolutely fabulous. Did mhy little friend Bleubeard have something to do with this page?
Hugs Neet xx
tell Bleubeard thanks for saying he would never feel that way about me. xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wonderful collage Elizabeth.

Divers and Sundry said...

I like how you arranged these, and it certainly forms a pattern to me. Road signs are something I look at in terms of addressing the privileged position drivers of motor vehicles have on our roads as opposed to pedestrians. I have issues ;)

Barbara said...

Very cool art. It gives one pause about driving though. It’s a bit intimidating to see them all in one place!

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a clever design! I love how you used the road signs and emphasised their colours with the black background - perfect 😁. Have a great day! Hugs, Jo x

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like all the road signs you've used.

All the best Jan

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Your pages are always so clever, Elizabeth. This is another winner. Eileen xx