Monday, September 9, 2019

Flower Bed Update and an INCREDIBLE Win


Now that my ICADs are complete, I have a few hours between Sunday and T Time.  My internet friend CJ has a weekly post asking How does your garden grow?  I think it's time for a final weekly update on my now dead flower bed.

Don't get me wrong.  Taking a few photos at my home is a whole lot easier than writing a movie review, creating a journal page, dyeing fabric, or driving all over town looking for murals.  But I simply can't continue creating two posts a day on the weekend.   It isn't fair to my readers and it puts a huge burden on me.

I consider my job to be my blog and, although I post daily, I still need down time on the weekend in order to do things I don't have time for during the week (like washing loads of towels and changing sheets on my bed).  In truth, I'm a creature of habit, and the weekend is for cleaning, dusting, vacuuming, and doing loads of laundry too large for daily hand or small load laundry.  It's also the time I need to dedicate to my herbs.  And let's not forget, I have to mow every couple of weeks, too.

One day late in August, I finally removed most of the blue plastic that had been covered by rocks when I removed the water feature.  

It was enmeshed with tree and plant roots, too.

That's a huge weight off my chest and now I can look on my flower bed and appreciate it, even if there are no flowers blooming.  I'll be back once a month with updates on my flower bed and my sad herb garden, too.  I hope you understand why I can no longer keep going at this pace.



I planned to share this for T this Tuesday, but I already had the post ready to go, so decided I needed to share it here, where it got the thanks and appreciation it definitely deserved.  Be aware this is incredibly photo heavy, so you might need your favorite drink 

as you peruse this box of goodies sent to Bleubeard and me for winning Valerie's tag contest she held at Tag Tuesday.  I really don't feel I deserve this.  Look at the size of this box.  It's huge.  I could barely lift it.  I love that Valerie uses real postage stamps to mail her packages, too.  BTW, I'm getting pretty good at the smudge tool in PhotoShop. 

It took awhile and a knife to finally get the tape cut on the box, but once I got it open

there were layers and layers of goodies staring at me.

The first thing I did was open the card Valerie sent.

I was blown away by the fact she sent this American money she possibly could have converted to Euros.   Yes, Valerie, even old money can be used here, and this isn't all that old.

If I'd been thinking, I could have used this as my Tuesday T post.  Instead, I slightly hid this darling hand decorated bag with this beautiful British flag ribbon.

But Valerie didn't stop there.  Here's yet another beautifully hand decorated bag.

There's also lots of cancelled postage stamps from all over the world.

Tulips dot this adorable hand decorated paper bag.

Even my bath will smell nice with this lavender sachet.

Valerie likes to wrap gifts in napkins/serviettes

and this is no different.  It's a gorgeous hand made and painted tiny book in which to keep messages and important information.

I pulled all these adorable ribbons from the box and attempted to corral them.

Also included were these beauties.  I already have an idea for those tiny bits in the top container.  Note the ribbon has been sorted, too.

I was head over heels with this wonderful date stamp Valerie sent.  What she may not have realized is I had purchased one of those date stamps like she sent me, but it was only good through 2018.  Now I have one that will last through 2022! 

Next came a beautiful batch of different decorated papers.  The fibrous paper Valerie sent was new to me, but I knew it was handmade.

Tucked inside this lovely paper were these masks and this grungeboard.  I was sure the "circle" that was missing had to be somewhere in the box.  As it turns out, it was a "zero" and I would find it as I explored the box further.

Next came stamps, both red rubber and cling.  I certainly have Christmas and Valentine's Day covered.

Yes, I'm in LOVE! Who wouldn't be, especially since I collect rocking horses and can now add it to my collection of over 470 rockers.  Stamps count, too! 

I tried to get a photo of this

cling stamp borders, but I realized I would have to remove the red rubber stamps from the back if I wanted to see what these borders look like. 

Next were more cling stamps, heart doilies, a stencil, and even more cling stamps.  I especially look forward to using the film strip in the top set and the floral stencil.

Next I unrolled these stunning stamped pieces of fabric.  Lo and behold I found the errant "zero" missing from the grungeboard set.

Another tiny book made by Valerie accompanied stickers and grunge pieces.

The beautiful sheer fabric on the left had been run through a printer.  More grunge pieces in the form of photo holders that were already colored sit below more cancelled postage stamps.  To the right is a set of Christmas wreaths.  Beyond that are two pads of paper and an ink pen with cat paws on it.  Then there's the Christmas clear stamps that I look forward to using.  To the left of the stamps is a small book with a note pad that has the adorable bird on it.

And finally, last but certainly not least, is this incredible tag Valerie featured on her blog when she announced this challenge.

Thanks for joining me today.  If you weren't as blown away by Valerie's generosity as I was, you are undoubtedly jaded, or have more craft supplies than most people.  Overwhelmed isn't a strong enough word, gratitude doesn't begin to express my feelings, and thank you seems a bit puny when I look back at all these goodies.  However, lacking the proper words, a big huge THANK YOU dear, generous Valerie will have to suffice.

21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your garden is at about the same stage as my balcony, only my chrysanthemums are still alive and kicking. But at least I don't need to mow it.... Glad you like your parcel, have fun! Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

I can understand so well that you need time beside of the much blog- and art- and internet worktime. Take it. Real life is so much more important than challenges and blogcomments!
Your garden looks always perfect to me. After that heat the most gardens need to rest now I think. Good for us gardeners. We had so much work here this summer with our little garden.I totally understand you.
Take time for yourself my friend and co-admin. Take good care of you.
A very generous parcel.wow.Enjoy your fantastic goodies.They went into the best hands!
Happy new week Elizabeth !
Susi xxx

Iris Flavia said...

I just cut out all the weak flowers that had such a hard time blooming this "summer", too. The balcony looks very sad.
Oh, wow, those were beautiful gifts, Elizabeth! You had me ahh- and ohhh-ing here :-)

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely gifts how sweet to receive in the mail...
The steampunk is not all digital. The image was coloured, the cogs are real metals and only the background paper is digital printed.xx

My name is Erika. said...

Oh my, that box is like Christmas and your birthday rolled into one. You can have so much fun with all those cool supplies. Have fun. And my garden is starting to look rather overgrown now also. I have no time to work with school back in session and lots of things are dieing back. It's that time of year I guess. We are really chilling down, which seems a bit early, but it is only in the 40's this morning. That is chilly. Happy new week. Se you for T. Hugs-Erika

Words and Pictures said...

What a wonderful package of goodies from Valerie... and of course you deserve it! How lovely to have that amazing textured rusty tag in your possession, and I can't wait to see what you do with all those new craft supplies. The rocking horse is absolutely adorable, and since you collect them, I'm guessing it won't be long before he gets inked up.

Completely understandable to slow down on the garden updates - besides, the garden will be heading into the slower winter season now anyway, so a monthly update should be plenty. You are allowed to be in charge of how you spend your time!!
Alison x

CJ Kennedy said...

Your garden is showing the change of seasons. As to your goodie box. WOW! Enjoy using all the new bits and bobs.

RO said...

I don't blame you. On the weekend, there is so much to catch up on, or there are just times to sit back and relax. Not only does Valerie faithfully visit your blog EVERY single day, she truly gets you, and all the things you like. What an impressive and fun array of goodies to send from across the pond. Congrats and many hugs, and a HUGE wave to Valerie for her kindness! Happy Monday!

Barbara said...

Gardens must go into hiding to regenerate each year. Not their prettiest time, but preparation for next year’s prettiest time. No blog worries or demands. In the bigger picture of life, it’s really supposed to be just for fun! Wonderful gifties!

Nancy said...

Glad you had a little breather- you stay pretty busy! Oh my, but you hit the jackpot with Valerie's bottomless treasure box. Wonderful gifts galore in there- and your craft budget just got a lovely boost. Enjoy- I know you will. I'm off to look for the tutorial you mentioned on how to attach a charm to a book spine- is it with Altered Book Embellishments with your tutorial list? And you are so right about doing the cover last because I can see with all the 3-D things I put on the cover of my journal that working inside is going to be a challenge. Our class did not allow for that however.

Divers and Sundry said...

That flower bed's not dead, just settling down for a winter's rest :) I find all the seasons in a garden interesting even when nothing's in bloom :) My patio flowers are fading, though there's still enough in bloom to attract the hummingbirds and the occasional errant butterfly. We're still getting highs in the 90s, but that doesn't stop my north-facing patio from getting less and less sun each day.

Wow! just Wow! What a prize! So many items and so much variety! You'll have such fun :)

You do take more effort with each of your posts, and I can certainly understand why more than one a day is too much. Your house sounds cleaner than mine, too ;) There are weekly events I'd like to participate in, like the garden sharing and the Saturday movies. Maybe someday... but we can't do everything, and our own life balance is important. I appreciate each of your posts on whatever subject and treasure the time you share with us. Thank you!

R's Rue said...

Stunning.

Mia said...

What an incredible parcel! Valerie sent you STUNNING gifts. Enjoy, Elizabeth. Kisses, my friend.

Meggymay said...

I'm sure you will have fun using the contents of the box that Valerie posted to you, she will have sent them with love for you to enjoy.
I think many of our gardens will be looking like yours at this time of the year, So don;t stress about yours, its just taking a winter rest.

I can understand you needing to take time to do other things. Your blog is always a joy to visit, interesting, informative, inspirational and most of all friendly. But they do take up time and that is a precious thing, so use it in a way that is comfortable with yourself. Its something I have had to come to terms with recently.
Yvonne xx

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Slow down and enjoy these goodies, Elizabeth. You deserve some time for you!

What a fabulous box of goodies Valerie sent you. I'm just blown away, as I bet you are. To me (and probably you), such a goodie box is worth more than this year’s Oscars gift bag valued at $148,000. Puh-lease, don't give me bling. Give me something I can play with. Bless Valerie for her thoughtfulness and generosity. I'm very happy for you.

Hugs, Eileen

Lisca said...

Yes, I can see you garden is getting ready for its winter rest/hibernation.
Wow! What a big box of goodies you got from Valerie! She has been very generous, and has even sent you money.
All those things are beautiful.I liked the Indian hand made paper and of course the rocking horse was just up your street. The day stamp is a corker. I'm sure you will get use out of that. It also has comments like 'best day ever' and 'on this day' etc which is just fun to have.
The lavender sachet is a nice touch. Are you sure it is meant for the bath? I would put a sachet like that in between my underwear.
I'm now heading off to the T-party,
See you there,
Lisca

Jeanie said...

Oh my! I AM blown away! So many lovely things and all so beautiful. And of course I know you will put every bit to good use. So excited to see what you come up with.

Aren't blog friendships lovely? People we would never have the opportunity to meet in person become good friends. I love it!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

totally understood on blog time; I've gone from 7 days a week to every other day, to no weekends, to 3 days a week to one; that MAY go to every other week ...

and the gifts are AMAZING !! ☺☺♥♥

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wow, oh wow, on that box of goodies! That was so generous and nice of Valerie. And a rocking horse too!

Your garden looks like it's still growing, even if the flowers are no longer there blooming. You only have to mow your lawn every few weeks? Mine required weekly mowing for most of the season. The past few weeks, I've gotten away with stretching it out to a week and a half.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Elizabeth, I'm sure the world will be fine if you tend to your real life on the weekends. You are probably spoiling everybody too much as it is! I gotta also add, a package from Valerie means you are loved! Ask me how I know because I got one one time for winning a challenge. What wonderful treasure you received. That tag Valerie made is beyond gorgeous. And I agree with Lisca about the lavender sachet -- at least try keeping some in your lingerie drawer first. You can always pull it out later for a hot bath. This way, you get 2 uses, haha. WIN WIN! I personally do love the smell of lavender but epsom salts are my bath go-to when I need to relax. Oh, no, just had a visual of you laying back in your hot epsom salt bath with a pair of your lavender scented undies from your drawer on your face! HEEHEE Bwahahaha Have a good Monday, Elizabeth!!! xox

Caty said...

OOHHHH cHRISTMAS in September !! Such Wonderful gifts from Valerie , love all, and I ´m sure you will create Gorgeous Art Elizabeth !!
Your garden takes its time to grow, I´m sad my little apricot trees didn´t grow, perhaps due to the very hot days we had in August.
I wish you a very nice afternoon, and send big hugsss
Caty