Monday, August 26, 2019

Update on my flower bed and a shopping spree


Now that my ICADs are complete, I have a few hours between Sunday and T Time.  My internet friend CJ has a weekly post asking How does your garden grow?  I think it's time to once again show my front flower bed.

My surprise lilies/naked ladies are on their last legs (or one leg, if you will).

Most have seen better days

as is evident once I zoom out to take in most of the front flower bed.

For those of you who may have wondered in the past what the blue in my flower garden is, at one time in the not too distant past (like last year), I removed the water feature I had in my garden. 

The long brown gutter was used to take the place of the splash guard and directed excess water into the water feature.  Unfortunately, the water feature didn't move water fast enough, so it became a breeding ground for mosquitoes. The blue plastic liner was under the bottom of the metal pan that held the water feature.  It extended to the sides of the pan, and was hidden with rocks.  When the water feature went, so did most of the liner.  However, I was never able to get it all.  That's on my agenda for when it's cooler outside.

The only other flowers of interest are my Rose of Sharon.  These, like bamboo, spread exponentially.  I keep trying to cut them down, but their roots spread laterally.

This one will eventually have to go, because it's encroaching on my pine tree.  Did you notice that the grass in front isn't growing as fast as that in the back?  I don't believe I'll ever bag my grass again.

This Rose of Sharon is on the north side of my yard.  It's great in summer because it helps shade the porch.  It also acts as a natural barrier so I don't have to see the house where the "mole hills" live.

This is the house to the north, which I don't have to look at when I want to sit on the front porch.

On Friday, my friend Sally and I went shopping.  I desperately needed 100% cotton if I was going to effectively dye cabbage as promised for my second attempt during my next Second Thursday Tutorial.

First, I am having trouble keeping my rechargeable batteries charged.  I think they have a rechargeable life, too. 

Consequently when I got not one, but TWO gift certificates for 24 AA or AAA batteries from one of the local charities I support, I gave one of the gift certificates to Sally who drove us everywhere that day. 

I got AAs and Sally got AAAs.  Even if my rechargeable batteries for my camera (and the extra set I'll take) don't hold up for Smithsonian Day, I'll have these I can fall back on.

Next it was off to lunch, which is in an indoor strip mall.  Next to the restaurant was this cake place.  As we walked by, I started telling Sally about CJ's plaster cake the venue she hired supplied for her wedding.

When I saw these cakes, I thought they also looked like the plaster cake she had at her wedding. 

Although most of these don't look like wedding cakes, they remind me of how cake decorating has become such a big business.  I apologize for the photos, but there are inside glasses reflecting on the outside glasses.

I was SO lucky.  My muslin was 50% off (as was most of their cottons), but these were 30% off.  

I also used my 20% off total purchases, so these were cheaper than if I'd had a 40% off coupon.  Even my cotton was included as part of the total.  I've never bought this many fluid acrylics at one time before, but I spent less than $20.00 (USD) for the paint and the fabric (and that included tax!).  I was giddy.  I know Erika said she got a good deal on clearance items at Hobby Lobby, but that didn't change the giddy feel I have for buying these.  And since I'd only spent $6.00 this year on art supplies (the variegated thread I purchased at the sewing store), I still have nearly $35.00 left in my $60.00 (USD) annual budget for supplies this year.  BTW, I did NOT count the cabbage, ammonia, or salt I had to buy to dye fabric. 

Thanks for stopping by today and seeing my pathetic flower bed and how I spent my day out on Friday with my foodie friend Sally.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

some bargains indeed. good luck with the cabbage dyeing.

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely garden and oooh lucky you with the Golden paints, they are so expensive over here...have a great day.x

froebelsternchen said...

Amazing parden and those Golden pants are fabulous!!! Have a fantastic day!
Susi xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

You got some really bargains, well done, have fun using them. Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

I'd be giddy too as these are probably better deals than my stickers in the fact that these paints are more expensive and you usually don't see them that much on sale. Congrats on the good find! And not only does that Rose of Sharon give you nice shade but it also has such pretty flowers. And your lilies are still blooming which is great. We are cold this morning, actually only in the 40's. Brrr. Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

RO said...

As you already know, I totally love a bargain, so kudos to you for those deals. Anywhere that has a bakery near where I'm shopping is a wonderul and tasty plus.(lol) Hugs and Happy Monday! RO

Sami said...

A great bargain Elizabeth. I spot a couple of colours I like - the Teal and Titan green. Enjoy using them :)

CJ Kennedy said...

Your garden still looks good. The rose of sharon are very pretty. I should try those in the area of the meadow as ROS are prettier than the weeds that overtook the area. Good score on your bargains! I'm giddy for you, too.

Nancy said...

You are making the budget work! Always a good feeling. Nice to get the shade from Rose of Sharon, and pretty blooms, too.

Birgit said...

Your garden looks so pretty and I love the bed posts in the garden. The Rose of Sharon is such a pretty flower and a very hardy bush. It's amazing how cakes and the decorations can be made but my main goal is that it tastes good. I am sorry for missing some posts, I have been dealing with another health issue which involves dizziness and being very tired. Seeing the dr. tomorrow. I am going to your next blog post..um I mean the one you made a day before:)

Cindy McMath said...

Great score on the paints Elizabeth! I can never combine coupons like that @ Michael’s - glad to hear Joann’s allows it (we don’t have a Joann’s here, although they might be in other parts of Canada). I also note you bought some of my favourite colours! Can’t wait to see what you create with these!

Barbara said...

Very pretty garden, flowers and greenery in their natural state. Water elements are lovely, but cause work.

Divers and Sundry said...

I always love your garden posts :) Rose of Sharon makes such a pretty screen. I've only had one once in another house long ago, but it was a bright spot among the other, larger trees. That is _not_ a "pathetic" flower bed lol It's a late summer fading. Mine, too. I wish I had something to fill in the color between black-eyed susans and wild fall-blooming sunflowers.

You got a great deal! I still haven't been to JoAnn's, but thanks to you I'm getting coupons in my email :)

da tabbies o trout towne said...

your garden looks gret Elizabeth; mine pretty much done for the year. and the cake show ....dee lish !! :) ♥♥ hope bleu and squiggles are doing well ~ =^..^=

Jeanie said...

Wow -- you were rocking JoAn's! That's a fabulous deal on goldens. Good for you!

I have a love-hate relationship with Rose of Sharon. At my house they grow too close to the foundation so I'm always wacking them away. But in other settings I love them.

kathyinozarks said...

Pretty garden Elizabeth, and I did not know that rose of sharon would spread like that-they have lovely flowers so I can see great for a border fence.
good for you getting awesome deals at Jo ann's I wish we had one closer as they always have great deals with their sales and coupons.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Kudos to you for still having a garden after the summer we've had. I bet it's hot and tired too, lol. Our nights here are beginning to cool off a bit but afternoons are still sauna hot. Wow, good for you with that craft supply budget! That was a great haul, xox

Marfi-topia said...

your garden looks very nice..that bed is so cool! I love when trees and shrubs help hide unsightly neighboring yards.
great job with the bargains!!!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I did try to comment on my phone - but failed this time!! Your garden looks great, lots of nice shade too! Good to have look in those shops and you certainly got some bargains! Chrisx