Saturday, August 10, 2019

Tuscany, the hills


Welcome.  This post almost didn't get posted.  My rechargeable batteries died and I couldn't find any that were charged.  I'm just glad they finally charged enough I could get my photos off my camera.

Today I'm once again joining Gill of Gibby Frogett Craftations this month's host at Art Journal Journey where her theme is Anything With Eyes.   And because Try it on Tuesday's fortnightly theme is Wish You Were Here, I'm joining their challenge, too.

Last week we visited Tuscany.  We started on the coast, then we went inland where we visited the countryside and farms. 

Today we are headed to the hills. 

Specifically, we are headed to Sienna.

My (imaginary) friends Jim and Mary wish you were there with them.

This is a very distinct area.

Sienna sits atop three very distinct hills.

While in Sienna, we must visit Piazza del Campo.

Many believe it has one of the most beautiful European squares.

Of course, while in Sienna, we must visit their Duomo.  Duomo is an Italian word for a church that was built to be a cathedral.

Here I was trying to get the entire page in my viewfinder, but it was when my batteries died.  I'm just thankful they recharged in time to share this spread.

For this page, I started with a sheet of 9 X 12 in. (22,9 X 30,5 cm.) black construction paper.  I outlined it and the images I got from a travel offer using silver leafing.  The image of the people came from a magazine.  All words were computer generated and printed on my laser printer.  They were colored using water soluble crayons, the gift from my friend Cindy that just keeps on giving.

Thank you beyond belief for visiting today.  I also hope you will join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey as well as Try it on Tuesday.

20 thoughtful remarks:

Cindy McMath said...

Nice page, and I like your imaginary friends! Glad you are still enjoying the crayons!

Valerie-Jael said...

Sienna is indeed a wonderful place to visit, so much to see! Lovely page. Glad you got your batteries re-charged. Have a fun day, Valerie

Words and Pictures said...

I've not been to Sienna itself, but yes those rolling hills look very familiar - we're closer to where I have been in Tuscany! A lovely collection of images for our virtual travels again this week, and the dark background allows the pictures to shine. I'm very happy you were able to get the camera batteries to cooperate for long enough to share this.
Alison x

RO said...

That scenery is so lovely and amazing! Makes me want to visit and check things out! Hugs and Happy Saturday!

CJ Kennedy said...

Jim and Mary look like they are having a marvelous time. The scenery is absolutely breath-taking. We certainly don't have anything like that where I live.

Gibby Frogett said...

You always manage to find the most amazing images to illustrate your beautiful pages Elizabeth. What a fabulous adventure - I would like to be there too :)
BTW re comment on city pigeons - that was quite scary reading the number of diseases they carry :(
Hope you have a wonderful weekend.... Gill x

Divers and Sundry said...

How kind of you and your imaginary friends to take us along :) What beautiful scenery!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh yes Elizabeth, I do wish I was there! It was a lovely sunny day when we visited and we sat in the Piazza and shared an ice-cream! Your really are bringing back the memories of our 7 cities in 7 days tour..yes it was as harrowing as that sounds, but it gave us ideas of where we would like to return to! You may remember we went back to Rome and Florence...but I hope we're not done yet! This is a beautiful portrayal of this wonderful city - worthy of the silver leafing you have bestowed on it! Thank you so much for joining us this time at Try It On Tuesday! Hugs, Chrisx

Meggymay said...

I'll pack a bag and tag along, this would be a wonderful destination, the scenery looks beautiful..
Thank you for your support and for joining us all at Try it on Tuesdays.
Yvonne xx

Rita said...

What a beautiful, romantic place. :)

froebelsternchen said...

What an amzing romance- Siena! Wonderful! A fantastic page Elizabeth! Thank you for yet another amazing entry for AJJ!
Susi xxx

froebelsternchen said...

And great to see you at TioT again! Thank you for supporting the team Elizabeth!

My name is Erika. said...

Nice page! Tuscany looks really appealing to visit, and that church square reminded me of one of the Dan Brown films. Maybe Angels and Demons. Happy weekend-I am playing catch up today but glad I made it by to see this page! Hugs-Erika

craftytrog said...

Looks like Jim and Mary had a lovely trip to Tuscany!
Alison xx

Birgit said...

I like the basic black background with some silver which highlights the beautiful pictures you chose. I would love to visit this place and will one day

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

A beautiful and very interesting page, Elizabeth. I've only been to Tuscany in my dreams. It looks so beautiful. Eileen xx

Jeanie said...

Tuscany is on my travel list and when I see photos like yours I want to move it closer to the top!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Another great travel art journal page Elizabeth. I like the yellows in the countryside image and the beautiful blue skies in the square image. And the cathedral is stunning.

Mrs.B said...

Another beautiful travel page Elizabeth, and I certainly wish I was there!
Sienna looks a fabulous place to visit and I'm pleased you were able to get the camera batteries re-charged so you could share this with us at TioT
Avril xx

Rike said...

Ten years ago I was in Sienna - a wonderful travel! Now I enjoyed your beautiful collage, it reminds me on good times walking through this unique village, I was standing on the most beautiful European squares - the Piazza del Campo, and luckily it was the day after the famous horse riding festival! We saw them cleaning the square from much sand, they only put on for these 3 days of festival, where the horses are gallopping round the Piazza del Campo. We also saw some riders in their old costumes ... it was great!