Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Eye on you


I'm once again joining Gill of Gibby Frogett Craftations this month's host at Art Journal Journey where her theme is Anything With Eyes.  Further, I'm joining More Mixed Media again with their monthly theme that includes something bright.

The paisley is certainly bright.

The sewing added the right amount of interest.

Since I'm driven by color, I was quite pleased with how well the watercolor paper matched the paisley print.


Of course the eye took center stage.

For this page, I began by spritzing several of my handmade shimmering mists to the black construction paper.  While it was drying, I colored a piece of watercolor paper using my two green water soluble crayons.  I was super impressed by how well these two colors mingled.  So unlike card stock.  I must use watercolor paper more often with these crayons.  Next, I sewed the focal image, found in an old Consumer's Report magazine about cataracts, to the watercolor paper, then to the 6 inch square (15,24 cm square) paisley card stock using variegated thread.

Thank you beyond belief for visiting today.  I also hope you will join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey as well as More Mixed Media, too.


25 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely journal page, great stitching and layering. Have a fun day, Valerie

Helen said...

great image you found! impressed with the neat stitching too.

Gibby Frogett said...

Wow wow WOW! This is really striking - a great eye image
-I love LOVE this Elizabeth!
You did a fab job with the colours on the water colour paper
(I thought that was fabric) matching the print. And as always I am in awe of your wonderful stitching.
Happy Wednesday - have a lovely day....
Gill xx

aussie aNNie said...

Been out all day with hubby at the day surgery...great post and thanks for letting me know re the stamp.

Sami said...

The water colour paper is so pretty Elizabeth, great work!

Barbara said...

Oh boy, I love this! I’m always a pushover for faces, or in this case a part of a face. I’ve learned seeing faces in things is called “Pareidolia”., an actual condition. I don’t know what it says about me, but I am happy it’s not harmful. This is a very cool page, love the paisley and stitching.

CJ Kennedy said...

I like your interpretation of the quote. Nice colors.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Wonderful piece Elizabeth. I like the dark blue background.

Let's Art Journal said...

What a fabulous page! I love the watercolour page that you created; the way the paints have dried add some lovely texture and match your paisley background perfectly 😀. Happy Wednesday! Hugs, Jo x

My name is Erika. said...

I love the bright paisley background and the cool photo. This is a very clever and fun idea Elizabeth. I hadn't even thought of that quote but it sure works perfect for AJJ! Happy Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

Cindy McMath said...

Love the stitching and layering with that big eye! Your mists show up so well on black! I also wanted to let you know that I loved both your latest Tuscany pages. I looked at them late and I’m not sure if you go back and look for later comments, so I thought I’d tell you here. That’s one of the reasons I like my moderated comments - even if someone comments on something way back I am guaranteed to see it. :). Have a great day - time for me to get to work!

Divers and Sundry said...

I love this, everything about it from that wonderful background to how you highlighted the eye. And your sewing elements are to die for. If I knew how to put a heart emoji in a blog comment it would go here: [heart] :)

Caty said...

What a so so Gorgeous Art page Elizabeth !! I looove it! I always love the so wonderful backgrounds you create with your handmade shimmering mists. yES, You ´re right, those two colours of green goes perfectly together, fantastic !! Love your sewing, and the image is really well in the center. Great !!
I wish you a very nice afternoon, and send big hugsss,
Caty

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi Elizabeth! Found my way over here again and did a bit of catching up. First of all, love love your stitched and layered piece. Your cropping job on the photo draws the eye in beautifully so it can take in all the pretty stitching and layers. I must also comment on how much I enjoyed traveling to Tuscany with you and I think I may have actually tasted some of that Mexican food as I was looking! I have a weakness for Chili Rellenos and for greasy crispy ground meat tacos. And green sauce. And Barracho Beans. I better stop now, already been to eat Mexican once this week, LOL. Stay cool and dry! XOX

Sandra Cox said...

This piece is all sorts of fun. And the paisley, very 70-80s. Takes me back:)

Meggymay said...

An awesome page Elizabeth. The layers look great, the watercolour layer goes so well with the paisley print. The stitching is a fantastic frame for you focal piece.
Yvonne xx

Barbara said...

Elizabeth, Re your question about silk hankies being used as batting, I think it can be done. Checking the Internet reveals that, but my uses are to make yarn for knitting and to decorate my pot. I don’t see me using it as batting, but you might want to search for the topic.

froebelsternchen said...

This looks absolutely stunning Elizabeth! Wow! Great entry for the AJJ collection!
You rock the topic again!
Big hugs and thank you for your generosity for your miserable AJJ Co Admin.
Shame on me this month again, please forgive me !
Big hugs, Susi xxx

Sharon Madson said...

I really like this, Elizabeth! The stitching and that photo against the paisley and then on the background is very striking.

Lowcarb team member said...

I like the colours in the paisley design, the stitching and layering is great too.

All the best Jan

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Words and Pictures said...

Watercolour paper really does make all the difference when working with water soluble mediums - completely changes how they behave (and I'm finding that different watercolour papers can be as different as chalk and cheese too... it's all trial and error). I love your blended colours with those wonderful mixes and borders between the shades. Fabulous image too, and the stitching detail is great.
Alison x

Barbara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeanie said...

This is really fun, Elizabeth. I can "see" it!

Rike said...

Wonderful piece! I like your sewing very much, and especially I like your watercolor background - it's really impressing how the water soluble crayons work on it! This paisley piece is very bright and fits perfect to the whole collage! Your background on this black construction paper is gorgeous!
Best wishes, Rike xx