Sunday, July 21, 2019

We're all going to Provence


Today I'm joining Chris at Pear Shaped Crafting who is our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is We're all/going

What a fun coincidence, since today we are headed to Provence.  Provence is not a single town, but a region.  According to Visit Provence.com:
Provence is a geographical region in southeastern France.
Some of the villages include Saint Rémy de Provence, Eygalières, Aix, and Fuveau.

It is:
A region in southern France famous for its fields of lavender, sunflowers, and olive trees.
Step into any of the tiny towns in Provence and you'll find artisans, painters, and soap makers in small shops.  Follow in the footsteps of Paul Cezanne, who left Aix after graduation to move to Paris.  When he failed to make a living painting, he moved back to Aix to work in his father's bank.  He then moved to Marseille, before joining the Impressionist movement.  In 1901, he returned to Aix and set up a studio where he painted some of his best known works.  He died there in 1906.  His later work is attributed to being the precursor to the Cubist movement, which Picasso and others made famous.


Soak up the sunflowers


and the lavender in the fields.


For this page, I started with a sheet of 110 lb card stock I spritzed with my handmade shimmering mists.  While the mists were drying, I dipped the lavender, cut from my pot of herbs, in white glue, then allowed it to dry.  I wanted to preserve it without flattening it.  I computer generated the words, then colored them using water soluble crayon.  I found images in three different travel brochures and added them to the page.  Next, I stamped the sunflower (from Posh Impressions, copyrighted 1996).  Finally, I ran a purple marker around the edges of the page to create a border.

Bleubeard and I are grateful beyond belief you chose to join us today.   We also hope to see you at Art Journal Journey with your own art inspired by We're all/going.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page. Provence is indeed beautiful, I was able to enjoy several vacations there in past times. Have a great day, Valerie

Helen said...

Great page to complement your found images of Provence.

Glad you sent the link to the blog to the youngsters, hope they don't get bored! BTW they re-rake the gravel in the Japanese garden regularly to keep the circles neat

Marfi-topia said...

absolutely stunning work here! love this:)

Meggymay said...

Beautiful pictures of the lavender fields, the aroma must be awesome there. Its a fabulous page Elizabeth.
Yvonne xx

craftytrog said...

Wow! Those lavender fields are stunning, and the yellow accents on your beautiful page are a perfect contrast Elizabeth.
Happy Sunday,
Alison xx

Barbara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara said...

Beautiful color combinations on your page! It lends itself to many views, all lovely. I have never been there as I am not a ready traveler. I’d enjoy seeing places, but I couldn’t be as happy as I am at home. I think the word “homebody” was invented for me.

CJ Kennedy said...

What a lovely trip you created! Imagine the scent of those lavender fields! Stay cool!

My name is Erika. said...

It is on my bucket list to see the lavender fields in bloom. (Don't know if I will ever get there or not) It must be really beautiful, as these photos show. So this page is definitely one of my favorites. I love how you added the lavender stem and stamped the sunflower. I can see why Van Gogh chose to paint there.

And you left a comment about the North Dakota state capitol. I agree. It is really an unusual state capitol building, although my husband seemed to like it better than some of the more traditional styles. I guess it is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm with you. Not my favorite.

Stay cool.
And happy Sunday.

froebelsternchen said...

Provence is amazing and so is your pge Elizabeth! What a wonderful page for AJJ again. I knew you would have fun in your 7 continents journal with this month's topic and I can see I was right! You rock the topic dear Co-Admin! Happy start of the new week ahead, I am already on my way home now, had some amazing days! Big hugs, Susi

Jeanie said...

I think you know why this might be a real favorite of mine! You picked some gorgeous images for this one, Elizabeth. I adore lavender. How I would love to see those in person -- and Provence. Maybe someday!

Susan Kane said...

This is probably my favorite of all your marvelous creations!

Fields of lavender would take my breath away!

Divers and Sundry said...

I didn't know you could preserve by dipping in glue. Cool! I'll gladly join you on this trip ;) and enjoy the fields in flower.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth! I can't tell how happy this page made me! The next step of our journey took us past fields of lavender and I was like a kid shouting out every time we passed one! Provence is a truly beautiful area and I thank you for your fabulous page, your support of my theme and the memories this brought back! Big Hugs, Chrisx

Sandra Cox said...

I love lavender. Those rows and rows of purple are just beautiful aren't they? Your piece is wonderful. I really enjoy how you weave history in with your craft.
Have a great one, dear Elizabeth.

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful lavender fields...great post as always. Full of inspiring interesting reading. re your comment, yep, will change for your hot and humid weather as that is what we have here for 6mths of the year where I live, mind you our cold is most likely your spring...x

Linda Manning Findley said...

Oh "E" this is wonderful and I can just smell the lavender, which I love ... thanks for invoking memories for me ....

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Mrs.B said...

A lovely page Elizabeth, you certainly picked gorgeous images of the Lavender to use with the subtle background with the pops of yellow. The fragrance from walking those fields must be wonderful.
Avril xx